Cancellation of February 11 , 2018 cruise

We made a reservation for a junior suite on the Allure for 2/11/18 . We were recently informed that our reservation was cancelled as RCL said a group charted the ship for that cruise , We are D+ crown and anchor members . This prompts me to ask why I should give up my booking ; what incentive will I receive for this corporate decision ; why should I make a new reservation ; and why does this group have precedence over me . If RCL no longer wants my business I will go to another line.

We made a reservation for a junior suite on the Allure for 2/11/18 . We were recently informed that our reservation was cancelled as RCL said a group charted the ship for that cruise , We are D+ crown and anchor members . This prompts me to ask why I should give up my booking ; what incentive will I receive for this corporate decision ; why should I make a new reservation ; and why does this group have precedence over me . If RCL no longer wants my business I will go to another line.

Cruise can get chartered by all lines. Where would you go?

When this happens, they usually offer price protection for the same category cabin on other sailings, as well as some amount of OBC. If none of the other price-protected sailings is acceptable, you can book any other cruise at the going rate and still get the OBC.

We were booked on the Brilliance in January 2018, they chartered it, offered price protection on an Indy cruise one day later, same duration, same ports. and offered $200 OBC (we were in a JS).

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

It is not fun when that happens but the cruise line, any cruise line is happy to sell out the entire ship when they can do it. Is it right? no, not really but it is legal. They normally offer some alternate cruises plus some onboard credit. If you are flying to the departure port and have already booked your flights you can ask for and push to get some compensation for the change fees. We are lucky that we have not had to deal with this situation yet but when it happens and I am sure it will some day, I will feel like you and see what other lines have to offer. Loyalty is a two way street and status benefits only go so far.

Don't feel bad. I think I am about to experience my third year in a row with a BR sailing getting chartered.

Like the others have said they should offer a few alternate price protected sailings and some OBC.

Several of the cruises for February of 2018 around Valentines Day have become charters. Serenade, being one of them - I was booked a b4b and had to change my plans as the charter was my third sailing in that situation. They offered price protection and 200 OBC - and a choice of 3 other sailings, one of which I was already booked on and the other two would have required me flying home and back and another hotel stay. I wound up cancelling my third and fourth sailing, taking a hotel for the night in Lauderdale and then booking a b2b on a different ship out of Lauderdale for the current pricing (no price protection offered as the bookings I made were not part of the offering) - and for 14 nights as opposed to the 21 nights had I been able to remain on the Serenade. As it was too early to have booked flights - no airfare compensation was offered. Unfortunately, with it being spring break and Valentines week - my hotel cost is almost double what I usually pay. It took about three weeks working with redeployment to straighten it all out.

How close to the cruise date will they cancel reservations for a charter group? I certainly don't think it's all about me but for my family it is not that easy to just pick another date. With my son's graduate school schedule the few weeks around Christmas are the only times he can get away as it is a year round program. I would be extremely upset if our cruise was cancelled. We went the week of Christmas last year and are booked for the week just prior to Christmas this year. I guess we just need to hope for the best.

It is not fun when that happens but the cruise line, any cruise line is happy to sell out the entire ship when they can do it. Is it right? no, not really but it is legal. They normally offer some alternate cruises plus some onboard credit. If you are flying to the departure port and have already booked your flights you can ask for and push to get some compensation for the change fees. We are lucky that we have not had to deal with this situation yet but when it happens and I am sure it will some day, I will feel like you and see what other lines have to offer. Loyalty is a two way street and status benefits only go so far.

Our January 2018 cruise on Adventurer was cancelled due to the ship going into dry dock. Not that we were happy about it, but we were priced protected on a selection of cruises, we received our change fees for our airline tickets and received $200.00 obc. We did not have to push for any of these compensations, they were offered by the cruiseline and because our category was not offered on the replacement cruise, we actually got upgraded. So we are sailing out a day later, and making lemonade out of lemons!!

How close to the cruise date will they cancel reservations for a charter group?.

Most of the time it's a year or more out. BTW, most of the time folks here will know it's a charter and cancelled way before (several weeks) RCI will acknowledge it.

It's purely a business decision and Royal is in the business to make money. Hopefully, charters help keep overall costs down. The bigger question is why at least one passenger was informed much earlier, as in May, then the poster.

See:

www. royal caribbean blog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/3887-our-allure-feb-11-2018-got-chartered/

We have had several ships re-positioned out from under us. It's not fun but it's business. I am surprised if the OP is a Diamond Plus that they would be ready to bail out of Royal Caribbean over something that happens frequently. :rolleyes:

Most of the time it's a year or more out. BTW, most of the time folks here will know it's a charter and cancelled way before (several weeks) RCI will acknowledge it.

We had a cruise cancelled for a charter five months out. (Enchantment, September 2015).

We had a cruise cancelled for a charter five months out. (Enchantment, September 2015).

There's a Majesty Cruise in September 2017 that was chartered only 12 weeks before departure..

Right kick in the knackers that must have been

I was on a charter and posted on the Roll Call for that week that it had been chartered. I was given grief. I didn't know what I was talking about or was outright wrong about my info. I was just trying to inform them. They called, RCCL told them no worries. It was 3 weeks to a month before RCCL notified them their cruise was not going to happen.

Because, overall, RCI is paid more by that group than by "regular" customers like you.

I get that but how about this... Say you have a doctor's appointment. Then someone else calls for an appointment who has insurance that reimburses better than your insurance company does. Is it ok to cancel you and book the other person since it will bring more money into the business?

They get way more money for a charter than from regular pax. It is guaranteed income. They don't have to try to sell the ship. Plus the few I have been on the folks buy a lot of stuff and I was told by the crew that there is competition for them to be on the ship because the pax tip well. Take "Sail Across the Sun" 5 day 4 night charter. More than $1900 per person for a balcony. I'm on a 10 day B2B for less than that to Alaska.

I get that but how about this... Say you have a doctor's appointment. Then someone else calls for an appointment who has insurance that reimburses better than your insurance company does. Is it ok to cancel you and book the other person since it will bring more money into the business?

Of course, but the trick in that case is to have a really good scheduler who can sweet talk you to another appointment and like to cruise line, give you some perks to buy you off.

Of course, but the trick in that case is to have a really good scheduler who can sweet talk you to another appointment and like to cruise line, give you some perks to buy you off.

Then I guess that is why I am a better physician than I am businessman. We would never do such a thing to a patient in my office. If a patient gets rescheduled it most definitely has to do with something other than income concerns.

Don't feel bad. I think I am about to experience my third year in a row with a BR sailing getting chartered.

Like the others have said they should offer a few alternate price protected sailings and some OBC.

Note to self; if you ever show up in my roll call I'm changing cruises! Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Note to self; if you ever show up in my roll call I'm changing cruises! Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Too funny!:D:D:D

The couple of times Royal cancelled ours, they offered us an alternate sailing date for the same itinerary/another ship and sailing, price protection and OBC. It worked out OK. They cancelled well in advance and not last moment.

I see your point. But now imagine you own a limo company and are making car payments on 30 cars. You have five cars booked by individuals for a particular weekend when someone calls and offers you a whole bunch of money to book all 30 cars. No matter what you decide to do, you still have to make 30 car payments.

Option 1: You keep those five bookings and pray that bookings for the other 25 cars come in or you'll lose money for that weekend.

Option 2: You tell your existing five bookings they're out of luck and to find another means of transportation.

or:

Option 3: You offer to move your existing five clients to another company that offers comparable services and compensate them for their inconvenience. While you may lose a little money by compensating them, the money you make from the additional 30 bookings more than makes up for that.

Repeatedly choosing option 1 will ensure you go out of business. Option 2 may take longer to hurt your business, but routinely dissatisfying customers will eventually catch up with you. Option 3 is the only option that will allow you to stay in business for the long haul.

I'm not saying you're this way Oceanboy, but so many people on these boards think that the cruise line's only priority is to make them happy. They lose sight of the fact that a company is in business for one reason: to make money.

I see your point. But now imagine you own a limo company and are making car payments on 30 cars. You have five cars booked by individuals for a particular weekend when someone calls and offers you a whole bunch of money to book all 30 cars. No matter what you decide to do, you still have to make 30 car payments.

Option 1: You keep those five bookings and pray that bookings for the other 25 cars come in or you'll lose money for that weekend.

Option 2: You tell your existing five bookings they're out of luck and to find another means of transportation.

or:

Option 3: You offer to move your existing five clients to another company that offers comparable services and compensate them for their inconvenience. While you may lose a little money by compensating them, the money you make from the additional 30 bookings more than makes up for that.

Repeatedly choosing option 1 will ensure you go out of business. Option 2 may take longer to hurt your business, but routinely dissatisfying customers will eventually catch up with you. Option 3 is the only option that will allow you to stay in business for the long haul.

I'm not saying you're this way Oceanboy, but so many people on these boards think that the cruise line's only priority is to make them happy. They lose sight of the fact that a company is in business for one reason: to make money.

Great post!

The original poster never returned to view the many responses many have left. But I'll add my two cents : She mentions she's Diamond +. What relevance that has is still a mystery. Secondly, she said WHY SHOULD SHE GIVE UP her booking. They're not asking you for your permission. It's a done deal - you're not going on this cruise unless you work for said company who chartered it.

Guess she realized that moaning about it won't solve anything (Hopefully).