Why don't I book Celebrity anymore?

Jimbo59

I'm Elite on Celebrity. But ever since Celebrity changed the Eurpoean itinerary I was booked on at the last minute (morning of departure), I don't feel any loyalty to Celebrity. Celebrity offered nothing to passengers who were expecting to go to some interesting ports.

Even a $50-$100 on board credit would have made passengers feel better about the loss of ports.

Yes, I know that the passenger contract allows the cruise line to change or eliminate ports. But this was not the Caribbean where every port is about the same.

Details? I've had ports cancelled at the last minute due to weather and unsafe conditions. I guess Celebrity should stick to the published schedule no matter what the situation. I'm scheduled to be in South Korea in about 4 weeks. Guess we should dock in Busan even if Un decides to launch his toys. Guess I'll stop cruising Celebrity if they miss that port while under attack.

I don't expect compensation for matters beyond the control of Celebrity. In some cases they've added ports that actually improved the schedule.

I'm Elite on Celebrity. But ever since Celebrity changed the Eurpoean itinerary I was booked on at the last minute (morning of departure), I don't feel any loyalty to Celebrity. Celebrity offered nothing to passengers who were expecting to go to some interesting ports.

Even a $50-$100 on board credit would have made passengers feel better about the loss of ports.

Yes, I know that the passenger contract allows the cruise line to change or eliminate ports. But this was not the Caribbean where every port is about the same.

Did it have anything to do with terror attacks or other violence in the regions that were canceled? Did they provide you with any reasoning??

I'm Elite on Celebrity. But ever since Celebrity changed the Eurpoean itinerary I was booked on at the last minute (morning of departure), .

Maybe they felt the safety of the other couple of thousand passengers was a tad important.

As others have asked, sailing, and political status of the cancelled stop would help us feel sorry for you if it was just a whim to mess with the passengers.

Feed us some facts for sympathy.

Did it have anything to do with terror attacks or other violence in the regions that were canceled? Did they provide you with any reasoning??

Based on the OP's post I get the feeling that any "reason" given wouldn't have been acceptable to them.

I guess I should have sworn of cruising before I even started because after 9/11 all of a sudden there were no lines going to Alexandria in 2002 and I didn't get my chance to cross the pyramids of my bucket list. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you expect Celebrity to do? And how does being elite affect the itinerary?

Where is the like button?

Based on the OP's post I get the feeling that any "reason" given wouldn't have been acceptable to them.

I guess I should have sworn of cruising before I even started because after 9/11 all of a sudden there were no lines going to Alexandria in 2002 and I didn't get my chance to cross the pyramids of my bucket list. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Booking a cruise that plans to visit Turkey, Israel or Egypt, you MUST prepare yourself for possible cancellation of ports.

We had a cruise booked in 2012 that was to stop in Alexandria, Egypt and Israel. Due to the threats in that part of the World, the entire cruise was cancelled and we were give options for another MED cruise with OBC. Our new cruise worked out well.

We were on that Silhouette cruise--Oct.17th, 2015. Yes, the itinerary was changed, but it was not a surprise to anyone. We had been expecting the change for probably a month before hand--due to all the trouble that was happening in Israel. Our friends and family were very concerned that we were going to Israel. I remember saying that probably the cruise line would be changing the itinerary, as safety was their first concern.

We were officially informed of the change via e-mail the day before the cruise. I remember checking my e-mail in our Rome hotel and, upon seeing an e-mail from Celebrity, I said to my husband, "Well, here it is--the official announcement." And, that was before I even opened the e-mail. So, it was definitely not a surprise. :)

We were on that Silhouette cruise--Oct.17th, 2015. Yes, the itinerary was changed, but it was not a surprise to anyone. We had been expecting the change for probably a month before hand--due to all the trouble that was happening in Israel. Our friends and family were very concerned that we were going to Israel. I remember saying that probably the cruise line would be changing the itinerary, as safety was their first concern.

We were officially informed of the change via e-mail the day before the cruise. I remember checking my e-mail in our Rome hotel and, upon seeing an e-mail from Celebrity, I said to my husband, "Well, here it is--the official announcement." And, that was before I even opened the e-mail. So, it was definitely not a surprise. :)

I was also on that cruise and never before or since have seen a larger group of whiners and complainers on a ship. Remember the fellow who yelled at the Captain and was put off the ship.

I was also on that cruise and never before or since have seen a larger group of whiners and complainers on a ship. Remember the fellow who yelled at the Captain and was put off the ship.

That's right. I'd forgotten about that! He got up in the theatre and was lambasting the captain. We were there--it was quite horrible!

Maybe it was this poster? LOL

Anyone noticed that the OP has not been back to answer any questions? Oh well. Sometimes stuff happens. It sounds pretty responsible of Celebrity to make those changes rather than sailing into trouble. I know as things deteriorated in Turkey over the past few years they moved a lot of ships away from Istanbul. When things were crazy in the middle east when we did our first Med cruise, I think it was in 2012 lots of ships were diverted from middle east ports and called on some of the Turkish ports. It is just common sense, kind of like not sailing into a hurricane.

Yes, it was Silhouette, October 2015. Other cruise lines went to the Israel ports at the same time, so although there were some security concerns, other cruise lines felt that the security concerns were not sufficiently serious for them to cancel the ports.

We received the notice of dropped ports on the morning of departure. Some passengers only found out about the change when they checked in at the port.

I posted because i hope Celebrity reads this and understands why they lost a long-term loyal customer.

And, yes, Celebrity has millions of customers, and their stock price is at an all time high, so they really don't need my business (or yours).

Yes, it was Silhouette, October 2015. Other cruise lines went to the Israel ports at the same time, so although there were some security concerns, other cruise lines felt that the security concerns were not sufficiently serious for them to cancel the ports.

We received the notice of dropped ports on the morning of departure. Some passengers only found out about the change when they checked in at the port.

I posted because i hope Celebrity reads this and understands why they lost a long-term loyal customer.

And, yes, Celebrity has millions of customers, and their stock price is at an all time high, so they really don't need my business (or yours).

Well j - despite your disappointment in their action and because they did not follow what other lines did, I choose to continue to sail X...

You have carried this issue for a while now, no need to re-post your disappointment, again. We get it.

Have you yet made a claim against your travel insurance under 'cancel for any reason'?

bon voyage

That seems like a really petty reason to bail from a cruise line. Stuff happens and some cruise lines are less likely to risk trouble than others. Personally I'd rather be on the ones that hold the safety of their passengers more highly than on the ones that sail headlong into hurricanes and troubled ports. Like you said, there are millions of other passengers so your "protest" is really only affecting you.