Power bar confiscated

BayouDoc

A power bar is an item which I have seen recommended on this board many times. I have always brought one (I am platinum) without problem. My power bar was seized from my carry-on in Seattle Aug. 13th. I had to stand in line the last night of the cruise to get it back. This seems to be a new policy, at least it is to me, and I will no longer bring power bars or extension cords along.

A power bar is an item which I have seen recommended on this board many times. I have always brought one (I am platinum) without problem. My power bar was seized from my carry-on in Seattle Aug. 13th. I had to stand in line the last night of the cruise to get it back. This seems to be a new policy, at least it is to me, and I will no longer bring power bars or extension cords along.

Did it have a surge protector? Not allowed.

Extension cords are fine. In fact, NCL access desk tells CPAP users to bring one.

Wow, this is the first time this has been reported. Sailing in 2 weeks to Alaska, I will inquire if new policy.

I bring a Power Squid/Power Cord Splitter Cable that looks like this:

53081.jpg

it is less bulky then a power bar/power strips and has NO SURGE protection. Plus they are pretty cheap about a 2 bucks on this site:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022808&p_id=5308&seq=1&format=2

Edited by shof515

I thought this was the food thing... LOL

Power strips with surge protectors are a danger. Normal extension cords are okay.

Really? Why is that? Not that I know anything about either, but I would have assume that something with a surge protector was safer than a regular extension cord.

Really? Why is that? Not that I know anything about either, but I would have assume that something with a surge protector was safer than a regular extension cord.

https://mrose.org/cc/SurgeProtectiveDevices-2.pdf

Short version: Household surge protectors were designed to work on household electrical systems. Electrical systems on ships are very different. Surge protection-equipped devices can malfunction internally, resulting in fire, or fail to protect the circuit correctly during a fault condition, resulting in fire.

I thought you were talking about a snack.:o

I thought you were talking about a snack at first! Couldn't imagine why you would care to wait in line to get it back. :')

Lol. Me too. Like cookie dough. And I thought..."you waited in line?" Then I realized you meant power strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just one power bar? Seems weird that you would only want to eat one during the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the majority of you use an electrical power bar mainly for charging cellphones, tablets and other mobile devices., it might be good to know that on most NCL ships that has undergone major renovations lately, they have now installed several "charging stations" for mobile devices in the cabins. We were on the Jade last month, in a standard inside cabin, and had three different "charging stations". One on each of the lamps that were bedside and one below the TV. Very convenient!

Short version: Household surge protectors were designed to work on household electrical systems. Electrical systems on ships are very different. Surge protection-equipped devices can malfunction internally, resulting in fire, or fail to protect the circuit correctly during a fault condition, resulting in fire.

Thank you.

So glad I return to these boards before my next cruises. This is new, already had it on my packing list. Guess time to update my packing list :)

Like many others who travel for work or business, I carry a variety of gadgets and - can - manage without bring along and/or using a surge protector. Can OP kindly clarify what s/he meant by a "power bar" as we might be over-reacting to this confiscation by Seattle's (contracted ?) port security ??? as this was said to be seized or taken from the carry-on luggage ?

Within the past year, NCL has spelled out expectations and newer rules about unattended electronics being connected while the passengers are out of their staterooms, for safety & good reasons.

Newer ships have 2 to 4 usable outlets and it is possible to use just those, maybe with one multi-port USB charger to power/recharge 2, 3, 4 or 6 devices - and not needing any extension cord (except for those using CPAP or similar medical devices).

I just returned from the Pearl this past Sunday. This is what I ran into in Seattle. We were initially denied boarding (caused quite the heart attack) and were sent back downstairs. Come to find out they couldn't identify something in my suitcase. Since I work for Homeland Security, and told them so(nicely, of course), I know better than to put anything in my suitcase that can't go on the ship. Turns out it was my heated throw that, um, threw them. :p Anyway, in the process, they also discovered my power strip. The port authority was going to confiscate it but, after a brief discussion, decided to let me keep it. There was a note in the cabin letting us know that the cabin stewards are instructed to unplug anything they see plugged in if the cabin is unattended, which ours did. However, we were very careful to unplug the power strip whenever we weren't using it.