Azamara Acquires P&O's Adonia Cruise Ship, Set to be Rebranded as Azamara Pursuit

LauraS

SHOWER WORRIES.

The subject of the small showers on Azamara ships continues to cause some people a huge amount of unnecessary concern, as there is an easy solution as pointed out by crew to a large passenger on a previous cruise. Now that the revitalised facilities are effectively wet rooms, place a bath towel on the floor and shower with the curtain open. Problem solved.

SHOWER WORRIES.

The subject of the small showers on Azamara ships continues to cause some people a huge amount of unnecessary concern, as there is an easy solution as pointed out by crew to a large passenger on a previous cruise. Now that the revitalised facilities are effectively wet rooms, place a bath towel on the floor and shower with the curtain open. Problem solved.

I hate wet rooms.

Health & safety for the next occupant?

I think Azamara gets the fact that we don't love the bathrooms and if a huge bathroom space is very important to you perhaps you might decide not to sail the brand, because obviously the bathrooms on Pursuit will be the same as her big sisters.

If Pursuit offers an itinerary that I like at a price point I think reasonable I will sail her in a heartbeat.

It will offer me Mosaic which I love, great food in various restaurants, the opportunity to meet new friends from all over the world and a fantastic crew, all the while taking me to wonderful destinations.

As long as my shower works and there is plenty of hot water when I need it I can deal with the bathrooms in exchange for all the other things which are far more important to me.

I think Azamara gets the fact that we don't love the bathrooms and if a huge bathroom space is very important to you perhaps you might decide not to sail the brand, because obviously the bathrooms on Pursuit will be the same as her big sisters.

If Pursuit offers an itinerary that I like at a price point I think reasonable I will sail her in a heartbeat.

It will offer me Mosaic which I love, great food in various restaurants, the opportunity to meet new friends from all over the world and a fantastic crew, all the while taking me to wonderful destinations.

As long as my shower works and there is plenty of hot water when I need it I can deal with the bathrooms in exchange for all the other things which are far more important to me.

Totally agree.:)

• 2 weeks later...
That would be wonderful. Can you share your source for that information?

It's a lovely idea. As a West Coast resident I would love to have one of our ships based out here.

But unless we flag the Pursuit as American-flagged we will be restricted by the outdated (e.g. 100-years old) Jones Act. I would love to see West Coast cruises calling on, and over-nighting in, Santa Barbara, Morro Bay, San Francisco, Mendocino, Eureka, Portland, Seattle.

[i am NOT part of the itinerary planning team so please note this comment is [b]mine alone[/b], not the company's.]

It's a lovely idea. As a West Coast resident I would love to have one of our ships based out here.

But unless we flag the Pursuit as American-flagged we will be restricted by the outdated (e.g. 100-years old) Jones Act. I would love to see West Coast cruises calling on, and over-nighting in, Santa Barbara, Morro Bay, San Francisco, Mendocino, Eureka, Portland, Seattle.

[i am NOT part of the itinerary planning team so please note this comment is [b]mine alone[/b], not the company's.]

There's lots of alternatives while abiding by the PVSA (it's not the Jones Act) You just need to include either Vancouver or Mexico on any closed loop cruises. However, Alaska has already been announced so I don't personally see her coming to the Westcoast.

There's lots of alternatives while abiding by the PVSA (it's not the Jones Act) You just need to include either Vancouver or Mexico on any closed loop cruises. However, Alaska has already been announced so I don't personally see her coming to the Westcoast.

You mention a Kauai 2018 land trip, Cruise Junky, and as a part-time resident of the island I would love to hear what you have planned...!

You mention a Kauai 2018 land trip, Cruise Junky, and as a part-time resident of the island I would love to hear what you have planned...!

Not a lot yet. It's for my husband's 65th. We've rented a condo up in Hanalei. Our good friends have a time share down in Poipu for 5 weeks a year so they've been giving us lots of tips. Na Pali Coast and Zip Lining is about all that on the agenda right now, and possibly the "Ditch".

Other than R8, although I’m not sure it actually sailed for Renaissance before they went bankrupt, it’s all been within the Carnival Group until next March.

Here is the quote from Larry's interview linked to in another thread. So I suspect you're correct that she didn't sail for Renaissance if I read it correctly.

"The vessel that we have acquired was the original R Eight and it actually sat for its first couple of years because there was the unfortunate bankruptcy at Renaissance [Cruises].So, the ship is not only the last to be built, but it sat for a long time, and it has as many known moves from one line to another line."

Here is the quote from Larry's interview linked to in another thread. So I suspect you're correct that she didn't sail for Renaissance if I read it correctly.

"The vessel that we have acquired was the original R Eight and it actually sat for its first couple of years because there was the unfortunate bankruptcy at Renaissance [Cruises].So, the ship is not only the last to be built, but it sat for a long time, and it has as many known moves from one line to another line."

If my memory is correct she was purchased by a finance/leasing company and sat in Gibraltar until leased to Carnival for Swan Hellenic, when they disposed of Swan Hellenic to the All Leisure Group she was purchased by Carnival and added to the Princess fleet as they already had 2 R ships.

It’s also worth noting that when she was with fathom she was still operated and crewed by P&O.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If my memory is correct she was purchased by a finance/leasing company and sat in Gibraltar until leased to Carnival for Swan Hellenic, when they disposed of Swan Hellenic to the All Leisure Group she was purchased by Carnival and added to the Princess fleet as they already had 2 R ships.

It’s also worth noting that when she was with fathom she was still operated and crewed by P&O.

Fathom was Carnival's attempt to introduce social impact through cruising and cruised the Dominican. I don't think it worked out for them, but cruises to Cuba did, so they returned the ship to P&O and planned larger ships for Cuba. Hopefully, the ship finally has a permanent home. :cool:

I gather that the equivalent of Aqualina has been updated quite recently on Adonia and will remain as is on Pursuit. Equivalent Prime C also updated and will largely remain unchanged. Deck 8 balcony cabins will be reconfigured to give the same deck plan as JR and Quest. Spa Suites will be added. No final decision on shipyard to complete the refurb, but hull inspection will be undertaken with a short dry dock in Bahamas.

Phil

I hope they are putting Mosaic in its rightful place on Pursuit. That area on Adonia is just for shops, with a couple of chairs placed there. Very underused and not the heart of the ship like it is on Quest and Journey.

An Azamara ship without Mosaic is unthinkable. Am looking forward to spending lots of time at our favourite table next week 😃

Here is a link to the website of the company who refitted Adonia with pictures of the refit, it shows a few pictures of how Prime C & Aqualina look as well as the Mosaic area.

http://www.blumarine.co.uk/project/cuk-adonia-refit/

Don’t know anybody else’s opinion but the refitted restaurants look bright and airy and more inline with the recent refits on Journey and Quest than the current dated decor.

Adonia doesn’t have a Sunset Bar, the terrace behind the self-serve is all seating other than a beverage station on port side.

Maybe an opportunity to add an up charge fusion restaurant for the evening? I’ll get my coat......[emoji850]

Adonia doesn’t have a Sunset Bar, the terrace behind the self-serve is all seating other than a beverage station on port side.

Maybe an opportunity to add an up charge fusion restaurant for the evening? I’ll get my coat......[emoji850]

I hope that Miami realise that that ship has sailed (forgive the pun)

Recall that the idea went down very badly with posters on this board

Nothing lovelier than enjoying the Sunset Bar with a drink or buffet dinner on warm evenings

Nothing lovelier than enjoying the Sunset Bar with a drink or buffet dinner on warm evenings

Agreed - the Sunset bar was one of the nicest places on the ship (especially watching the sun set over Australia while chowing down on a super buffet and loads of gelato!)

Only joking [emoji854] honest, I remember just how popular the idea wasn’t last time.