Azamara Acquires P&O's Adonia Cruise Ship, Set to be Rebranded as Azamara Pursuit

LauraS

Hi Phil: I have to admit I have never posted on the Azamara board because I haven't sailed with them, and I doubt I ever will.

I have sailed on their current two ships when they sailed in the Caribbean for Pullmantur as the Blue Dream and Blue Star before the RCCL takeover.

As well I have no problem with older ships, in fact I rather prefer them if they are proven quality vessels.

My list includes Pullmantur's Holiday Dream ( Europa and now Saga Sapphire), Oceanic, Horizon, Zenith, and Gemini ( Cunard Crown Jewel and now Celestyal Nephili), among others.

Most of these were on mainstream or budget lines at appropriate price points.

Ultra premium cruises, and their higher tariffs on older, refurbished hand me down ships is not appropriate IMHO.

OK, that is a bit more for me to go on! I've highlighted an important consideration for me too. I think all the R-Ships have proven themselves over the years and another premium cruise line and close competitor to Azamara, being Oceania, have just taken back one of the R-Ships that left their fleet and refitted it as Sirena. I think it's wrong to try and compare Azamara with Celebrity and their Edge Class for instance. They are catering for a totally different demographic. I also think that Edge looks hideous from the photos I've seen with the Magic Carpet hanging over the side, but I haven't seen it in the flesh yet. I might be tempted.

Celebrity Mercury was my first ever ship. I sailed on her a couple of times and her sister Galaxy a few times too. Lovely ships, but they rumbled big time in the dining room when I sailed them. I'm quite happy about another R-Class ship. They did them right when they made them and rather than waiting for 3 years for a larger ship with all the bells and whistles that can't go to the places Azamara or like sized ships can I'm very happy we have R8. I know the rooms are never going to be bigger. As others have said it's not about the real estate, but the experience of the ports (I have had some of the most memorable experiences of my life going to places that I never could have on a larger vessel), the life onboard and the crew. If you haven't been or have no intention of doing so it's hard to explain, but if you come to these boards regularly you will see what a following they have. Wouldn't happen if we thought that we had old, hand me down ships. Now the current prices? That's another thing and we will let the market work that one out!

Phil

Hi Steve: At no point did I state I did not like Azamara's ships, I"ve sailed on them after all, but they are third hand ships. My whole point is that after about ten years in business they should be thinking newbuilds.

RCCL's German partner TUI started up about the same time with two second handers Galaxy and Mercury from Celebrity as Mein Schiff 1 and 2, but have since had a couple of new ships built.

I would never think of criticizing Celebrity on the CC boards for the cruise pricing on a brand new state of the art ship that the Edge is.

Must admit I would have been ecstatic had Azamara announced a 1000 pax new build although it wouldn't have come to market for several years.

However I am very happy with a 3rd R ship joining the fleet. Azamara is not perfect. I don't like the bathrooms even in the suites BUT I love the fact that everyone is treated like family whether you have sailed with them 25 times or it is your first cruise with the line.

There is an indefinable aura that transcends the staterooms, the food and the age and decor of the ships.

If you find an itinerary that interests you and a price point that suits come join us and see if you agree. We are a very friendly and sociable group of people.

Just because AZ acquired this ship, it doesn't mean they don't have plans to do a new build. This would be a good bridge for the interim.

Larry P. has stated that he feels there are too many ships planned for the premium or upscale market.

How long it will take for him to be proven right or wrong I certainly have no idea.

If he is correct, that mean newer builds may become available for purchase.

Or, as you point out, they may already have ideas for a new and unique design.

But this new ship, as you state, is a welcome bridge until the market becomes clearer,

Just because AZ acquired this ship, it doesn't mean they don't have plans to do a new build. This would be a good bridge for the interim.

You are right of course Steve. We can only hope.

Having sailed on one of the gorgeous, new Viking ships recently can think of nothing better than an Azamara new build

I totally agree with you Host Grandma Cruising. I don’t sail with Azamara for the showers, I sail with them for the experience the fabulous crew give me. We are also fortunate to meet some lovely people and have made many friends onboard. Some of them even “star” in Cruise shows! Mentioning no names.......😀 but he does live in Harpenden!! 😄

He's also excited. Some ladies I know would even say he's exciting. :cool:

We have cruised with HAL on a brand new ship - but the experience was nothing like Azamara. The ship was beautiful, but it didn’t feel happy, or like ‘home’.

I guess the issue here is people’s priorities - some people are more interested in their environment than the experience - and vice versa. Nothing wrong with either, just different.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always think it's nice when you return to the ship from being on shore and the welcome you back bey saying " welcome home"!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, I'm delighted. The 3rd ship is well overdue, and I personally love the R class ships. once Adonia has had the AZ makeover she will be a fine addition [i know AZ considered her several years ago and at the time it was felt she needed a lot of work to get her up to AZ standard.]

I certainly don't want a 1000 pax+ new build. The charm of AZ is low pax numbers.

Having said that we are soon off on our second SeaDream transatlantic - last year there were 77 pax - bliss.

I am sure Azamara will transform this ship into a work of art...but not so sure about the tiny showers!

One thing I believe that will help the shower is installing split swinging glass doors instead of clinging shower curtains. It will not only make the shower seem bigger by being able to see out but if you bump into it, it doesn't cling to you. The clinging is the worst part for me.

I believe the Aqua Class cabins on Celebrity's M class have those glass doors if I'm not mistaken.

One thing I believe that will help the shower is installing split swinging glass doors instead of clinging shower curtains. It will not only make the shower seem bigger by being able to see out but if you bump into it, it doesn't cling to you. The clinging is the worst part for me.

I believe the Aqua Class cabins on Celebrity's M class have those glass doors if I'm not mistaken.

I was told by a Engineer that had been considered but discarded has not practicable.

One thing I believe that will help the shower is installing split swinging glass doors instead of clinging shower curtains. It will not only make the shower seem bigger by being able to see out but if you bump into it, it doesn't cling to you. The clinging is the worst part for me

Well they certainly couldn’t open outwards, as the sink is too close.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was told by a Engineer that had been considered but discarded has not practicable.

Yes, there isn't enough space because of the footprint of the bathroom. If you look at it it tapers in, not fully square. If you put doors on the shower many would be banging their arms on the doors. Think each time you make contact with the much spoken of clingy shower curtain? I have no problem with it. I just turn sideways.

Phil

Not practicable due to cost or function? In the Aqua Class cabin I opened the panel near the door out and the panel near the sink in to exit the shower.

Not practical because the shower is wedge shaped not rectangular we were told

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, there isn't enough space because of the footprint of the bathroom. If you look at it it tapers in, not fully square. If you put doors on the shower many would be banging their arms on the doors. Think each time you make contact with the much spoken of clingy shower curtain? I have no problem with it. I just turn sideways.

Phil

Right. I honestly don't understand all the carping about the shower curtain. The last thing I'd want in a small shower is a glass or other hard-surface door.

Have never had a problem with a clinging shower curtain, and learned a long time ago to dry off with one foot in the shower and the other on the bath floor. Works just fine.

Recently cruised on the Harmony of the Seas which has about the same sized bathroom. The toilet is not at an angle and is much more " user friendly ". There is a single glass door on the shower but I could not dry myself without hitting the door. That drove me to the same approach that I've used on Azamara ( " put one foot in / put one foot out " ).

Have never had a problem with a clinging shower curtain, and learned a long time ago to dry off with one foot in the shower and the other on the bath floor. Works just fine.

Recently cruised on the Harmony of the Seas which has about the same sized bathroom. The toilet is not at an angle and is much more " user friendly ". There is a single glass door on the shower but I could not dry myself without hitting the door. That drove me to the same approach that I've used on Azamara ( " put one foot in / put one foot out " ).

TMI Bill;)

Phil

USA security laws require two exits, like a window, if a door opens in. It's to open the door (without breaking glass) to get to you if you fall.

We had an outside wall made of rock in a bathroom so the door had to open out. The hinges are on the outside if the door opens out.