Not sold out a week before cruise!?!

Kruzin Karen

Our 28 day cruise on the Emerald sails in less than a week, and only the suite category has sold out. They don't seem to be offering any significant price cuts. Yes, we paid more for our cabin, but we got free gratuities, which kind of makes it a wash. Can anyone explain the thinking here? I know cruise ships don't want to sail this empty, but I guess they don't want to devalue their product. Any insight?

There are price cuts - they are not seen by all who login. They are targeted promos.

Agreed! They'll often target customers who live near the port of embarkation as well as make amazing offers to Princess employees.

Also..

Many times although they may show specific availability in cabin category's it's because they haven't assigned all the guarantees yet, which when assigned could account for hundreds of cabins, which when included the total bookings may be already close to 100%

Srpilo

We are sailing on Oct. 26. At least 20% of the cabins are unsold. No one on the Roll Call has been offered an upsell or upgrade.

You can't account for GTY bookings, so not sure how you know at least 20% is unsold. Just because you see unassigned cabins, doesn't mean they all are unsold. Literally, with a large number of GTY sales, one additional booking could fill a category of cabin.

That being said, 28 days is a long cruise. Wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple of open cabins.

Agreed! They'll often target customers who live near the port of embarkation as well as make amazing offers to Princess employees.

I live in Nebraska and I am often targeted. Go figure.

I'm an hour from the Port of LA & my Captain's Circle account is to accept any last minute offers but have never received one...maybe I need to move to Nebraska to get the offers? ;)

I agree with others and also travel agents receive Flash sale prices that are not advertised to the general public.

Not all price cuts will show (or even be available) by booking directly with the cruise lines. Many of the best deals are only offered by a select group of cruise/travel agencies....and are often not allowed to be publicized on a web site. Many cruise agencies maintain a private e-mail list (anyone can sign up) and will often e-mail information on special offers...some of which can be last minute bookngs (inside the final payment period). We are watching one particular Princess cruise (now inside the final payment period) and prices have been all over the place (with different agencies) like a yoyo. We are talking about prices that are less then half what was paid by many who are on that particular cruise.

Hank

I'm an hour from the Port of LA & my Captain's Circle account is to accept any last minute offers but have never received one...maybe I need to move to Nebraska to get the offers? ;)

I agree with others and also travel agents receive Flash sale prices that are not advertised to the general public.

I think it has to do with cruises booked. Once I book something, they often stop. So if you have several cruises booked, you are less likely to get them.

Yes - there are travel agents who get flash specials that booking direct doesn't get.

I wouldn't suggest moving to Nebraska, you might get the offers but have a heck of a time getting to a port to take it. Our last flight, to Seattle, had to go through Houston. We were closer to Seattle before we left.

I wouldn't suggest moving to Nebraska, you might get the offers but have a heck of a time getting to a port to take it. Our last flight, to Seattle, had to go through Houston. We were closer to Seattle before we left.

Our DS and his family joined us for our AK cruise out of Seattle a month ago. They had to fly to Phoenix on their way to Indianapolis. Several years ago DW had a flight from San Antonio to Orlando via Atlanta until at the last minute while already in the airport Delta rerouted her through Detroit! It was early spring and warm down here while Detroit was still in the clutch of old man winter.

How do you get your Captain's Circle account to notify you of last minute deals?

TIA

Sign in to your "My Princess"; click on "Captain's Circle"; from drop down menu select "Standby Program"; complete the information.

I've been signed up for this option for decades & have never received one despite being near the port.

I've found offers by searching their website's "Deals" tab for "Drop & Go" offers.

Also near port. Also almost always have a cruise booked. Never received a last minute offer.

Ships sell berths, not cabins. If capacity is reached, there may be empty cabins. Good news for the entertainers and guests who might just get an ocean view instead of an interior.

I used to receive standby offers and took a few of them. It has probably been 2 years since I received one. I wondered if they were even doing it any more

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My dad still gets the Stand By offers. He got 2 or 3 this year. I haven't seen any in over a year.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Sign in to your "My Princess"; click on "Captain's Circle"; from drop down menu select "Standby Program"; complete the information.

I've been signed up for this option for decades & have never received one despite being near the port.

I've found offers by searching their website's "Deals" tab for "Drop & Go" offers.

Thank for sharing. I have to give it a try. Thanks again.

Tony