Itinerary Change. Am I being reasonable?

badtzmaru

You do realize that contracts simply offer legal guidance in the event of a dispute? They are NOT the Ten Commandments of sea travel.

I suspect if buddy here lawyer's up, contacts his congressman/woman, and uses the media to his advantage, that 'contract' will be suddenly and happily altered.

Why stop at the Congressman? I would call the POTUS, the Dalai Lama and hell, maybe even Col. Sanders.

(j/k) ;p

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Most of the comments were supportive and constructive. I simply came here to get some opinions on my situation, as I go on a cruise only every three years or so, on average. I will keep you updated on my progress, or lack thereof ;)

Yes, I understand itineraries change.

Yes, I understand that I could have opted for the travel insurance.

Yes, I understand that booking any wedding at a port is risky.

It's the advertising issues that I find the hardest to wrap my head around.

As far as someone saying I "have a personal aversion to Jamaica"... A personal aversion would be "I don't like Jamaica because it's too touristy or the weather is too hot". Being gay there is a crime [see Section 76 of Jamaica's Offences Against a Person Act] - That is not a personal aversion.

For most people, this change in itinerary is "Oh, we are going from Eastern Caribbean to Western Caribbean." ...

For us, it was "You are going from a place where you can legally get married and be recognized to a place where being homosexual is punishable by up to 10 years of incarceration at a labor camp".

We aren't the kind of guys to throw our relationship in your face (we could have booked a gay cruise for that), but we just didn't want to take a cruise somewhere that we didn't feel comfortable exiting the ship.

Thanks again for your feedback and kind words. I promise we will make the best of the situation.

Geez people calm down!

First off congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I wish you both much happiness.

Secondly, there is not much you can do regarding the itinerary change.

I am on a crazy sailing that disembarks in San Juan on Nov 12th (yippee) not exactly happy about that either, but whatever...

Like some of the other rational posters on this thread, I say "just enjoy the ship on the day it's in Jamaica". It is wonderful how calm it is when most of the passengers are off the ship!

You have the pool almost to yourself with waitstaff at your beck and call. you could even plan to have a small reception that day while everyone else is off the ship.

The spa is also much quieter if you want to book a massage or something. Enjoy the cruise DESPITE the cruiseline itself.

Much Happiness!

Donna

Thank you Donna. All very good points.

IF that situation happened to me I would be very upset. I find all of your posts to be respectful and written very well. I think you have every right to be annoyed because of the way it was handled. You should have been notified of the change before the later date and past the penalty phase.

I would not want to be in Jamaica either in your situation. I think some of the suggestions to just stay on the ship that day are good.

I hope you can get satisfaction and have your wedding and cruise that you want. I wish you and your partner all the best in your married life.

Wendy

So, what do you book it on? The colour of the captain's eyes? Every single person who books, books on itinerary.

Every single person doesn't book on itineraries alone. There are other factors that come into play.

1) Ship ( many like sailing the newer ones)

2) Timeframe they can go

3) Costs ( yes people choose to cruise when rates are less.

Those are a few that have nothing to do with itinerary.

We are cruising with some friends on the Bliss Jan. 2019 that is the identical itinerary we did on the Escape. Not crazy about it, but it "fits" New Ship, timeframe.

Im guessing many others do the same.

While I understand that Jamaica would be an uncomfortable destination for you, could you get married at one of the other destinations on the cruise and make a day on the ship during the Jamaica port day? Frankly, I like having a day on the ship when everyone else is on shore. Makes for a great time having everything to yourself.

Did You NOT buy cancel for any reason trip insurance?

To bad you did not find C.C. earlier.

Island wedding's by ship are never a good bet.

You bet it’s not. What if the ship never made it to that port for any reason?

Trip insurance is a must and really not that expensive.

The OP will not get their money back from AMEX. might as well go have a fun time on the boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I understand that Jamaica would be an uncomfortable destination for you, could you get married at one of the other destinations on the cruise and make a day on the ship during the Jamaica port day? Frankly, I like having a day on the ship when everyone else is on shore. Makes for a great time having everything to yourself.

Same sex marriage is not possible on the new itinerary and NCL were aware of OPs intentions when they booked and NCL were also aware that the itinerary had changed while not informing the customer booking a major life event of this. Lack of care and attention at the very least, deliberate lack of care is also possible given the circumstances.

There are two issues here (as some people have noted) - 1 is a port change. That happens and in this case it really stinks given the circumstances, but it happens and the cruise contract is clear on what is possible. Fine.

However, if in fact some people were notified of the change a month prior and others were not, plus NCL kept the incorrect itinerary up on the site for a period of time, that is a whole different story. If that is in fact the case, here is how I would approach it..

First, if you can get a copy of any email sent prior do so and grab a dated copy of the NCL site if the wrong itinerary is still up. With that in hand contact NCL and inform them that given they clearly knew of the change X period prior and failed to make a timely notification. Indicate that you want any changes to be made based on that initial date, not the date you were notified, which will take you out of the higher penalty period. They will hem and haw. Suggest as an alternative you would consider transferring your booking to a different itinerary that works for you at the rates in effect on that time. Finally, indicate that you will be disputing the charge if not satisfied with the resolution, using the documentation to indicate that the delivered product was switched without proper notification (a valid reason to dispute a charge).

My expectation is that they will demur and you may get to someone who can make a reasonable accommodation (for me that would be switching to a new date or being allowed to cancel at a lower penalty.

Definitely a better stop than Nassau! Of course, that’s not saying much... :')

Way better than Nassau and probably better than St Marteen now.

People give Jamaica bad publicity for really no apparent reason. It’s a lovely island not like St Thomas and Grand Cayman but it’s still a very safe place if you know what you are doing. Many things to do which makes it a very good stop.

Same sex marriage is not possible on the new itinerary and NCL were aware of OPs intentions when they booked and NCL were also aware that the itinerary had changed while not informing the customer booking a major life event of this. Lack of care and attention at the very least, deliberate lack of care is also possible given the circumstances.

Cruise lines don’t change itinerary because of one person and also they did not book the wedding on the ship.

If they booked on the ship they still could get married no matter where the ship goes.

Way better than Nassau and probably better than St Marteen now.

People give Jamaica bad publicity for really no apparent reason. It’s a lovely island not like St Thomas and Grand Cayman but it’s still a very safe place if you know what you are doing. Many things to do which makes it a very good stop.

A friend of my fiancee had a very bad experience in Jamaica. She (a native Jamaican who'd lived a couple of decades in the US) and her new husband went on shore during their honeymoon cruise and, with no research, let some guy talk them into giving them a tour of the island. So he drives them 50 miles or so into the interior, pulls out a gun and says "A return trip is $400 cash. Otherwise, you can get out now and walk back." Fortunately, they had the $400 on them and were returned safely to dockside.

This had the side effect of making my fiancee permanently swear off any shore excursions not sponsored by the cruise line.

So, what do you book it on? The colour of the captain's eyes? Every single person who books, books on itinerary.

Nope. I booked the corner aft penthouse suite on the Sun for a second time because I love the ship and love the suite. I did not care a hoot where it cruised from or the itinerary.

I actually love the ship experience and care more about my time on it than off.

A friend of my fiancee had a very bad experience in Jamaica. She (a native Jamaican who'd lived a couple of decades in the US) and her new husband went on shore during their honeymoon cruise and, with no research, let some guy talk them into giving them a tour of the island. So he drives them 50 miles or so into the interior, pulls out a gun and says "A return trip is $400 cash. Otherwise, you can get out now and walk back." Fortunately, they had the $400 on them and were returned safely to dockside.

This had the side effect of making my fiancee permanently swear off any shore excursions not sponsored by the cruise line.

Not good but at least no one was hurt. This can happen anywhere though. Just have to be cautious and book excursions from reputable companies or through the cruise lines.

If I was afraid of a certain port I would either book through the cruise line or just stay on the ship. No way I would just go on shore and pick a excursions from a random person in port without any research.

Not good but at least no one was hurt. This can happen anywhere though. Just have to be cautious and book excursions from reputable companies or through the cruise lines.

If I was afraid of a certain port I would either book through the cruise line or just stay on the ship. No way I would just go on shore and pick a excursions from a random person in port without any research.

Agreed. My fiancee's friend had spent her teenage years living in Jamaica and thought she could tell whether someone was an honest person looking to make a buck or a scammer. Wrong.

The only port we've been to where I might take a tour or somesuch without any research is Grand Cayman. Maybe. Anyplace else, I'd either research the hell out of it or just do a cruise line-sponsored tour.

We don't mind about the changes to our wedding plans, and are even planning something near home. But we will not honeymoon in Jamaica. It would go against everything our marriage means.

Don't think of it as a honeymoon in Jamaica. Think of it as a cruise honeymoon and the day that Jamaica is a port stop, have a relaxing day aboard the ship.

The pool area won't have as many people, the spa will offer specials, there will be lots of quiet areas since most of the passengers will be ashore.

Agreed. My fiancee's friend had spent her teenage years living in Jamaica and thought she could tell whether someone was an honest person looking to make a buck or a scammer. Wrong.

The only port we've been to where I might take a tour or somesuch without any research is Grand Cayman. Maybe. Anyplace else, I'd either research the hell out of it or just do a cruise line-sponsored tour.

Most of the ports in the Caribbean and the western routes like Belize and Roatan have very poor and high crime areas and if you don’t know what you are doing you could get into some trouble.

Research is the key but there are islands like Grand Cayman, St Thomas, Bermuda, and Cozumel that I would feel very safe going at it alone. Jamaica I think is fairly safe but that is a port I would book through a reputable company.

OP, sorry for your disappointment, but I don't think NCL will change your reservation.

If it were me, I would get married in the courthouse at home and then see if I could do a vow renewal ceremony on the ship. In Jamaica, I wouldn't get off the ship....think about breakfast in bed, lounging by the pool, a couple's massage and then top it off with a wonderful dinner at a specialty restaurant. Now, that sounds like a wonderful day in Jamaica to me!!!:)

OP, I am sorry your plans were ruined. I am not very happy about our revamped cruise either, but at least it's not affecting a wedding! We, too, got Jamaica instead of allowing us to keep our two original ports. Those were given to other ships who now have....in my opinion of course...fantastic itineraries while ours leaves a lot to be desired. I hope NCL will go all out to accomodate your plans...or perhaps as another poster suggested...a legal marriage at home and a celebration onboard.

I recall a crew couple on one of our cruises who had planned a wedding in Key West. It did happen the cruise we were on, but they'd missed their original wedding the week before due to weather preventing the ship getting in port. A shore wedding at home is more of a sure thing

Either way, congratulations!

Edited by HokiePoq

Congrats OP. I don't think you are being unreasonable, but unfortunately, the customer right in US is not as good as in EU.

NCL EU has a better cancellation policy so NCL doesn't take full advantage and force customer into buying overpriced insurance.

I don't think Amex is going to help much, but it doesn't hurt to try as last resort if you really decide not to go. I guess you can treat this cruise as a pre-wedding honeymoon or honeymoon? You can stay around the port area or on the ship if you really don't like Jamaica.

Every single person doesn't book on itineraries alone. There are other factors that come into play.

1) Ship ( many like sailing the newer ones)

2) Timeframe they can go

3) Costs ( yes people choose to cruise when rates are less.

Those are a few that have nothing to do with itinerary.

We are cruising with some friends on the Bliss Jan. 2019 that is the identical itinerary we did on the Escape. Not crazy about it, but it "fits" New Ship, timeframe.

Im guessing many others do the same.

Yes, all kinds of reasons. But "itinerary" does come into play at least marginally for embarkment? I am one where itinerary IS the priority. I couldn't care less about the ship. Fortunately it's rare overall for itinerary changes. Just sailing the Caribbean and sitting on a ship (equal to staying in a hotel and no leaving) is not enough for me. It really has to have at least 1 preferred port for my preferences.

I hope the OP finds a solution. I would also suggest just staying on the ship in Jamica.

Nope. I booked the corner aft penthouse suite on the Sun for a second time because I love the ship and love the suite. I did not care a hoot where it cruised from or the itinerary.

I actually love the ship experience and care more about my time on it than off.

So might you be just a little upset if NCL invoked their right to substitute any other other ship regardless of who owns it?