Child falls 2 stories in ship at port

LMaxwell

I will say this. When I read this headline, this seemed bizarre to me-not homocide bizarre, but bizarre none the less. But I wasn't on scene to see how an 8 yo girl could get so high above a railing to fall.

This was my initial reaction. I haven't been on this ship, but have been on Conquest and Dream class, and try as I might I cannot picture falling into the atrium.

Like others I am not judging or trying to assign blame, but am trying to understand what happened.

The ship has cameras that should tell all, now to see how long it take them to release the truth of what happened to her.

yes. but the question is will they release it?

They will not release the video. Short of the railing collapsing, the child climbed or was placed on the rail. A case could be made if the child was placed on the railing for a photo, then the person who lifted her could be responsible.

This was my initial reaction. I haven't been on this ship, but have been on Conquest and Dream class, and try as I might I cannot picture falling into the atrium.

Like others I am not judging or trying to assign blame, but am trying to understand what happened.

Since it was debarkation day, it seems there would've been a lot of people around. I would think there would be someone who witnessed this tragedy. Also wonder what her injuries were that she died so quickly. I know of two people personally who sustained head injuries from falling from more than 20 feet, both survived their fall but both have traumatic brain injuries. One of the incidents was over five years ago and the other was over one year ago, but both are still alive.

In the big picture, I suppose it doesn't matter how she fell or even what the cause of death was. What matters is that this family has lost their precious baby. My heart goes out to them.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

From what somebody here mentioned and seems to know what happened for sure as he works at the dock they know and hear everything and the fact another member here mentioned her 9 year old leaned over and she freaked out because scared of heights (THANK GOD) and said its very possible, I do believe this is exactly what happened....life is too short for any of us, but hate hate hate hearing a young person die in such tragedy.

This is my 8yr old girl on our cruise in August. She’s standing in front of the rail on 5. There is a ledge that anyone could stand on... I wonder if this is what happened.

367EF464-2A1B-4566-80E5-144D8B17F536.png

This is a very probable idea. Thats a large step that could certainly get an 8 year old waist high on that ledge and accidentally fall over. I feel so bad for the family. This is one more thing on my mind as I cruise with my kids often :(

Prayers for this family. Losing a child is the hardest loss in life. As a former ER nurse I can tell you that so many loving, caring parents have started that " they only looked away for a minute" or " my child has never done anything like that before." I don't know any parent that has never turned their head or seen their child do at least one stupid thing for the first time. Children are inquisitive and impulsive and no matter how carefully you watch them, things happen quickly.

Those of you who believe this could never happen to you need not challenge the fates. Instead grab that healthy, living child of yours into the biggest embrace and hold on tight. Love them, teach them, and pray that if they ever step in front of a moving vehicle some one reaches out a pair of hands to pull them back to safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Smiling Cruiser

Things do happen in just a second time unfortunately but in that large crowd why wasn't a parent holding her hand as I did with my children when they were young?

From what I read she hit her head hard I believe on the table and fell onto the floor, enough to break her neck or kill her with a head injury as it happened.

That latest news report, posted by lady-cruiser, says at the end that homicide detectives are investigating, so let's not assume just yet that the poor child herself was to blame, or put it all on her parents. Another child/adult could have been involved.

That means nothing....homicide detectives are who usually initially investigate all unexpected deaths until the facts prove otherwise.

Years and years ago, we took our children and grandchildren on a cruise. My daughter and her husband were unpacking and getting things put away when I walked into their cabin. Their 3-year-old son had pulled a chair over to the balcony, climbed on it and was hanging over it, watching what was going on; his feet weren't touching the balcony. I snuck up on him silently and lifted him off; didn't want to make a noise and cause him to jolt. Kids are so fast! And they think of things far before we do. His parents would never have thought of him doing this, but there he was. I felt very fortunate to have walked in when I did, and then again he might have seen what he wanted to and gotten back down, or one of his parents could have seen what he was doing. Or he could have fallen; he would have landed on deck, but it was a long way down.

I have too. It takes a village to raise a child. My heart goes out to the family of this child.

We take our twins on cruises frequently (they're 10 yrs old and have been on 10 cruises).... I watch my children well, but there's always the occasion when you're looking the other way or distracted. I would be VERY grateful if someone were to scold my child for climbing on railing. When it comes to safety, it really does take a village.

Thoughts and prayers go to this poor family. My heart breaks for them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very sorry for the family, heartbreaking story. Cruising with my soon to be 5 year old in a month, and DH and I were discussing to "leash" or not. We have been to Disney 3 times without 1 but after reading this story considering it as my child is extremely active and like a child doesn't always listen. I am also curious as to the HOW did this happen. Prayers to the family.

We did with our then 4 1/2yo a couple yrs ago. He Truly defines the words "spider monkey". It was NOT that we were incapable of watching our child, nor because we couldn't tame him. Lol, we heard both of those expressions and variants of, from some "concerned" fellow cruisers. It WAS however because we knew exactly what the Lil guy was capable of trying. Don't let anyone bully you into Not doing whatever you feel is for the safety of YOUR child. No matter what it is. In 14days we're going on a Halloween cruise, he's still the monkey he's ever been. I'd like to say he's matured enough to Not worry so much, after this tragic accident I'll probably be even more vigilant. Poor Lil fella. I'll most likely be a helicopter parent (always hovering) till he's grown. Still, it was an accident. They can happen at ANY time. All we can do as parents is our best. We also Pray. A lot.

This is my 8yr old girl on our cruise in August. She’s standing in front of the rail on 5. There is a ledge that anyone could stand on... I wonder if this is what happened.

367EF464-2A1B-4566-80E5-144D8B17F536.png[/quote

If your daughter stood on that ledge the rail would be about waist high. Makes an accident understandable.

We take our twins on cruises frequently (they're 10 yrs old and have been on 10 cruises).... I watch my children well, but there's always the occasion when you're looking the other way or distracted. I would be VERY grateful if someone were to scold my child for climbing on railing. When it comes to safety, it really does take a village.

Thoughts and prayers go to this poor family. My heart breaks for them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Completely and Heartily AGREE with you.

It is said and tragic but how much do you want to bet the Family will hire a lawyer, they will blame CCL for this, settle out of court for Millions of $$$ and CCL will pass that cost down to all future paxs as a booking price increase...

TexasRed thank you for that clarification!

I do hope the parents don't sue Carnival if Carnival was not at fault...if Carnival was not of any fault and they still sue I just hope and would assume they won't settle and Carnivals lawyers will fight to dismiss the case...sorry, but Carnival if not any fault, should not be held responsible, the parents are more responsible I say and although parents can't keep a contact eye on their children every second, its a very infortunate accident...still say, with all those passengers trying to get off parents should hold the hands of their young children as my husband and myself always did.

It is said and tragic but how much do you want to bet the Family will hire a lawyer, they will blame CCL for this, settle out of court for Millions of $$$ and CCL will pass that cost down to all future paxs as a booking price increase...

They will get nothing.

They will get nothing.

Unlikely. It's cheaper to settle than to fight it.

And regardless of the circumstances, there's no doubt the parents are blaming themselves enough already. If she was taken out of school for this I doubt that factor has even crossed their mind.

Yes, I so agree.

How unfortunate to have a tragedy occur---------look at the situation closer------- to evaluate and update the safety for protection of all.

There is always the "perfect" design, that is not perfect and has flaws.

We need to evaluate and re evaluate to provide the best safety features.....

Thanks for your post.

Safe travels.

I hope you are not suggesting that Carnival, or any other ship, should now redesign their ships because of this. What’s next? Floor to ceiling glass overlooking the atriums? That is not necessary. There’s nothing wrong with the railings the way they are now. They serve the function they were meant to. But they are not meant to be sat on, leaned over while standing on something, etc. This horrible accident occurred due to a lack of common sense, a lack of supervision, or a combination of the two. Not some faulty design of the ship.

If you ask me this is a freak accident. And freak accidents can happen to anyone. We have rambunctious children and have never had any serious injuries at all. I wonder if her parents had told her not to do something and she kept doing it. Or if they did not notice what she was doing at all. Or if someone accidentally knocked her over. Or if she was angry about something and not thinking straight. She is kind of old to say it was just curiousity. Just awful.

TexasRed thank you for that clarification!

I do hope the parents don't sue Carnival if Carnival was not at fault...if Carnival was not of any fault and they still sue I just hope and would assume they won't settle and Carnivals lawyers will fight to dismiss the case...sorry, but Carnival if not any fault, should not be held responsible, the parents are more responsible I say and although parents can't keep a contact eye on their children every second, its a very infortunate accident...still say, with all those passengers trying to get off parents should hold the hands of their young children as my husband and myself always did.

I still to this day hold my daughter's hand (or she holds mine, however you want took at it) whenever we find ourselves in a big crowd. She's 25.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

No glass around the atrium is damaged and they wouldn’t have a matching pane to replace it with that quick. She went up and over.

How is the mood around the ship? It’s always sad when vacation is over but yesterday had a whole different feel about it, I witnessed many people praying and several starring at the lobby with tears in their eyes. I don’t know how Dustin and his staff would be able to be their usual happy selves at sail away when this happened just hours before.