Child falls 2 stories in ship at port

LMaxwell

Yeah that article adds a couple dimensions.

Another is that mom was caring for a newborn at the same time. Boyfriend was with her, but it’s not clear if he was taking on any parental responsibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is this from an article? I have not read this anywhere. I would like to read it please.

This was not due to faulty railings or by someone bumping her. It was due to her doing something intentionally that she shouldn’t have been. While it was an “accident”, it’s not something that one should be concerned about happening to them when following the rules or simply leaning against the rail.

This. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen supervised AND unsupervised children jumping to put their bellys on the top of a balcony railing to see what is going on below. All they have to do is lean forward a bit too much and.....

To say that people bumped into her and caused her to fall over the railing implies that the railing would have to be low enough for that to happen. Granted, it’s been 5 or so months since I’ve been onboard a ship, but I don’t recall the railings being that low. Especially not for a small child.

The fact that the family doesn’t know what happened seems to corroborate an eyewitness’s account that the family was on the 9th deck and the child went ahead, by herself, down the elevator to a lower floor. Given how hectic debarkation is, I would have to wonder why she was allowed to go off on her own. I only bring this up because if the family is really planning on suing Carnival, it seems they have plenty to answer for themselves. Ultimately this was just an awful tragedy and it really bugs me that they are going to try to make off of it.

Even if this is the case, that people were pushing and shoving to get off the elevator, causing her to go over the railing, it seems there would've had to be quite a large number of people for this to even be a consideration. The elevator doors do not open towards a railing. Once exiting the elevators, whether the regular or glass ones, one must go around a corner before there is any railing. Although I wasn't there and I did not see what happened, it's difficult to understand how a crowd bumping into her was the cause of her going over the railing.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

We have cruised with 4 kids over the last twenty years and understand the dangers of cruising. We are amazed at the amount of children we see run the ship unsupervised. We never leave our kids go alone anywhere as there are way too many doors with who knows who behind them. We actually skipped a year of cruising when our youngest was two as we felt she was not ready for it. She is our monkey and is afraid of nothing. We gave up balcony cabins until she was six much to my husbands disappointment. I will refrain from judgement but pray for the family who is going through a living nightmare. I also feel for the employees and guests who gave aid to the little girl. I'm sure they will live with that for some time.... The cameras will show what happened and where the blame lies but regardless nothing will bring her back. I cannot believe that a crowd would be able to push her over the banister but when you are in pain, as her family is, I'd imagine you reach for any excuse. Accidents no matter how horrible are sometimes just that. I can see a little girl leaning over the balcony a little to far and in a matter of a second falling. Prayers to all involved.

The scariest thing about this story is that the poor little girl was 8 years old, we aren't talking about a rambunctious toddler, this is a third grader! This just makes me so heart sick, I have a little boy turning 8 next month and we sat down yesterday and had a talk about safety on the cruise ship. When we went on our cruise in June, I put the fear of God in him about getting near outside railings, but I don't think I ever mentioned the atrium. At that age you would think she would understand the danger, but I can see how getting over excited on the ship could lead to poor judgement. I can also see how if she leaned over a little, but then got bumped by a crowd, she could have gone over.

I am pleased about how compassionate this thread has been, I haven't seen too much basing of the poor parents. We all try to be the best parents we can be, and I am really over protective, but I know that there have been moments I've taken my eye off my (almost) 8 year old. This isn't a baby or a toddler, but an older child, one for the most part listens and follows directions. I can see myself checking my bag for my passports one last time, taking my eyes of my son, and something awful happening in the blink of an eye. It could happen to any parent.

I can't stop think about this poor child and her devastated family. As I've posted earlier I will be on the January 20th vista sailing with grandson who turns 6 end October. He's rambunctious and doesn't always listen. I am now considering a leash at least part of the time when in ports. Any advice would be appreciated. My daughter doesn't read these boards and I have not mentioned a word about this tragedy to her. He will be in camp carnival every afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

The one thing I see when reading something as tragic and sensational is this event is that people try to conjure up a scenario to make the puzzle fit. I do the same. When the bereaved are left without facts (yet), it is only natural to grasp at straws and imagine something/someone assisted in the accident (strong emphasis on "accident"). I remember being a child. I raised 4 kids up, 3 of which were busy boys. If you try hard enough to put yourself into your former 8 year old self, it becomes a bit easier to imagine that tragic morning.

An 8 year old is spontaneous and impulsive

After 7 days, she would have been very familiar with the ship's layout

Embarkation is hectic, she may have been expending extra energy

Very believable she went up/down a deck or two from her family (without permission)

She (impulsively) hoisted herself up to put her family into her view

She lost her balance.....

I cannot fathom anyone bumped her, but may not have had time to react or notice her actions until it happened. It can believably be a split second!

It saddens me that it happened, but for anyone to think her parents did something "wrong" is just plain.... well, WRONG! No one has 100% foresight. And children act so quickly. It makes perfect sense that she was attempting to look over that railing. She didn't have the skill or maturity yet to think her actions through. We were all that age once. And anyone that says different is just lucky their fears and cautions worked out. Accidents occur when we put our guard down for one second... This poor child's story is not in vain as she will be the story many a parent will utilize to their children when going on a cruiseship! She did not die in vain.

RIP sweet sweet Zion

Ultimately this was just an awful tragedy and it really bugs me that they are going to try to make off of it

Why on earth would you say they are trying to "make off of it?". Seeking an attorney is something anybody would do in this same situation.

Clearly this horrible tragedy is not your typical "I tripped on the step and twisted my ankle" situation. It certainly should not bug you.

Ultimately this was just an awful tragedy and it really bugs me that they are going to try to make off of it.

It shouldn't bug you, nor should it bug anyone else on this thread. Like crooooze just said, seeking an attorney is the smart thing to do.

Think about it. How forthcoming do you think Carnival is going to be to the family with their internal reports, closed caption video, witness statements, etc? The family needs a lawyer to prepare subpoenas and help them fact-find. Add in the fact this family is foreign, and it makes obtaining information even more difficult.

I guarantee if you or anyone else on this thread had a family member die in an accident on a cruise ship, you too would be seeking counsel....not necessarily because you want to, but because you have to.

I can't stop think about this poor child and her devastated family. As I've posted earlier I will be on the January 20th vista sailing with grandson who turns 6 end October. He's rambunctious and doesn't always listen. I am now considering a leash at least part of the time when in ports. Any advice would be appreciated. My daughter doesn't read these boards and I have not mentioned a word about this tragedy to her. He will be in camp carnival every afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

I agree! I am sailing this January with our daughter and her family, which includes her 3 children. Her children are 9, 11, and 12, and I worry about the 11 year old who is a bit "energetic". I'm hoping all will be fine, but this tragedy certainly gave me pause. Kids do all sorts of things to show off, as they have no fear. Praying for a safe, calm trip.

The family needs a lawyer to prepare subpoenas and help them fact-find.

I guarantee if you or anyone else on this thread had a family member die in an accident on a cruise ship, you too would be seeking counsel....not necessarily because you want to, but because you have to.

I can't help but agree. Hiring counsel doesn't equate to filing suit for damages. It is a fact finding step.

I can't help but agree. Hiring counsel doesn't equate to filing suit for damages. It is a fact finding step.

Except that they did not just say they are getting an attorney. They have basically already said they think it is Carnival's fault and that they will take "some kind" of legal action. You think at this point you would just be grieving.

Except that they did not just say they are getting an attorney. They have basically already said they think it is Carnival's fault and that they will take "some kind" of legal action. You think at this point you would just be grieving.

That quote isn't from immediate family. It was a Great Uncle who said that. He also went on to say they are searching for answers.

Children do climb. I scolded a child once on a ship while his parents were too busy drinking to see that he was climbing on the rails.

Of course I got dirty looks!!

And your scolding most likely saved that child's life....bless you! To h*** with the dirty looks! I hope this tragedy can serve as a well-needed wake-up call.

This is where she landed, I can’t believe after what I saw that the carpet didn’t have to be replaced. From everything that I heard today she hit her head on that table.

That area of the floor is the dance floor and is usually wood. In the video you can see the bandstand.

This is the atrium on Carnival Glory:

enhance

The lobby is deck 3; photo gallery deck 4; shops on deck 5. Then the open area narrows and if she fell from deck 6, the area she must have fallen from would be in the upper right, next to the pink strip on the elevator shaft. That's the only place that wouldhave landed her among the couches, striking the small table.

enhance

You can see there are no railings between the three glass elevators, so could not fall from there. She was nowhere near the stairways on the other side of the lobby.

This is taken from the approximate location but on deck 5. You can see nowhere near the stairs.that come down above the bar.

enhance

EM

Has anyone ever watched sail away on Port of Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Cape Canaveral? I cringe almost every sailing as you see children and even adults climbing on railings I am a pediatric nurse who worked for a trauma center and I can tell you from experience....children make dumb, stupid mistakes. It doesn’t matter whether they are 3, 8, 12 or even a teenager. They do need more supervision and guidance than most get. Can’t tell you how many times I have heard a parent say...”my child wouldn’t.....”. I feel sorry for the Mom at the loss of her child. No child should pass away at this young age.

I agree! I am sailing this January with our daughter and her family, which includes her 3 children. Her children are 9, 11, and 12, and I worry about the 11 year old who is a bit "energetic". I'm hoping all will be fine, but this tragedy certainly gave me pause. Kids do all sorts of things to show off, as they have no fear. Praying for a safe, calm trip.

Remember a while back when these two boys video taped themselves jumping off the railing and into the pool on a Carnival ship? The youtube video has been removed (I wonder why?). There's other pics of boys dangling off the side of ship holding onto the railing. Maybe a cruise ship isn't the place for children under the age of 18. It looks like the village has its share of idiots.

Capture-3-696x418.jpg

https://www.cruisehive.com/boy-cruise-ship-jumps-deck-pool/17991

Remember a while back when these two boys video taped themselves jumping off the railing and into the pool on a Carnival ship? The youtube video has been removed (I wonder why?). There's other pics of boys dangling off the side of ship holding onto the railing. Maybe a cruise ship isn't the place for children under the age of 18. It looks like the village has it share of idiots.

Capture-3-696x418.jpg

i disagree. I have been cruising since i was a minor. it depends on the individual kid. i was doing my homework that i had due later that week.

Remember a while back when these two boys video taped themselves jumping off the railing and into the pool on a Carnival ship? The youtube video has been removed (I wonder why?). There's other pics of boys dangling off the side of ship holding onto the railing. Maybe a cruise ship isn't the place for children under the age of 18. It looks like the village has its share of idiots.

Capture-3-696x418.jpg

Sorry, but that happened on a Princess ship, I believe in Alaska last summer. You can see part of the Seawitch logo in the bottom of the indoor pool. EM

DH and I watched an elderly man walk down the Atrium stairs. He missed the last stepped and lunged forwarded hitting his head on the railing. He was knocked out cold. We've heard so many stories about people on cruise ships and how they get injured. Remember the college kid who climbed the radar mast to get a selfie of the sunrise and he fell to his death? The village watched him do it.

I wear bifocals which can make it very hard to see step edges - especially on clear steps. Since our very first cruise I've always made use of a handrail in those situations.