Norovirus onboard

arbymore

Sorry to hear that your wife has come down with this dreaded illness. I do not recollect anyone posting that here, yet.

Was this a ship wide outbreak? Do you know of others, at the time on the sailing, who contracted it? Did you visit the ships doctor and have it diagnosed as such? I presume you shared the same cabin with her, did you not contract this as well, because it is and can be very contagious thus the reason passengers are often quarantined with this virus.

What about your travel insurance, there are some policies which may cover this type of situation and time frame.

I trust she will be better soon.

bon voyage

My wife suffered with norovirus onboard Celebrity Solstice last week. Is there any chance I can get some compensation for the days she spent confined to her cabin?
Sorry she was sick but no.

Why would she get compensated? She was still on the ship. Not being able to do everything she'd like to do isn't cause for getting money back unless it's for things she booked and paid for like specialty restaurants or spa appointments. Is that what you're asking about or are you asking about getting compensated because they wouldn't let her out to infect the rest of the ship?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Many years ago, I got Norovirus while on the Celebrity Mercury. I was one of a few hundred on board that got it. That is one mean bug!

The Mercury was being bleached from stem to stern every day. People were calling it the S.S. Clorox. Bleach dripped from interior railings and landed on clothes of passengers beneath making for spotted clothing.

Yes, I was confined to the suite along with wife and daughter (neither caught it, luckily). There was a security person who would actually check every now and then to ensure we were all still in the suite.

Celebrity was VERY generous in compensation for the cruise and for ruined clothing.

However, the Norovirus outbreak was very widespread and very well documented by their medical staff and CDC officials who came on board. Compensation probably will be thought of if this was a very serious outbreak, number of passengers affected, and well documented by medical staff on board.

Edited by Sandtrap328

My wife suffered with norovirus onboard Celebrity Solstice last week. Is there any chance I can get some compensation for the days she spent confined to her cabin?

It depends whether she saw the doctor/medical staff on board, if so Celebrity may make a token gesture.

I suffered a few years ago on Celebrity and was compensated for being confined and staying in my stateroom. They do check you are adhering to the confinement.

Historically Celebrity has often granted compensation when someone contracts noro, is evaluated by the ship doctor and quarantined (generally the compensation has to do with the number of days quarantined). The reasoning for this is Celebrity wants people to be evaluated for possible noro (and quarantined if confirmed) to prevent the illness from spreading.

just wondering - is there a charge to see the doctor for this or do they encourage this to the point that they do not charge? the time I saw the doctor on board, it was pretty pricey for not much IMO. (It was not for noro)

My spouse caught it many years ago on the Connie, along with many others. I was quarantined with him, but did not catch it. We received a small credit ... maybe $20.00, but we’re not expecting anything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It depends whether she saw the doctor/medical staff on board, if so Celebrity may make a token gesture.

I suffered a few years ago on Celebrity and was compensated for being confined and staying in my stateroom. They do check you are adhering to the confinement.

I was on Constellation when there was a Noro breakout. Those who reported themselves received free in cabin movies, meds and where given credit for each day they were confined to their cabin. Those who tried to keep their illness a secret didn't receive anything. Some claimed that they should have compensation, but I disagree since they really put others at risk by attempting to hide their Noro case.

Wash your hands!

Maybe if she was confined to the cabin by the ship's doctor but I think the time to ask would've been on the ship. Scroll down on this page to see post cruise customer service number.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/contact-us

I plan to ask my Doctor for Tamiflu anti-viral medicine to bring with us on our Nov cruise on Reflection. What kind of meds did the Doctor onboard give the Noro patients?

I don't believe that Tamiflu or any medication will prevent noro. They only give you things to relieve the symptoms.

DH got noro on Constellation and was confined to the cabin fir a couple of days. TBH even had he not been quarantined he'd have stayed there as he felt so ill. He had free medical care (no meds just initial iv fluids) and was given credit for the days confined. Luckily I didn't catch it, but did get off in the first port to buy bleach which I used liberally around the cabin

I got norovirus too on celebrity. The medical staff were good - there were a lot of people sick at the same time. I was given an injection and tablets (maxolon) plus told to take anti diarrhea ones just in case as had only been vomiting. I stayed in cabin as didn't want anyone else to get sick plus felt awful. Was happy to arrive in sydney but was astounded by the people who were sick with flu who coughed everywhere. We were very careful with hand washing etc but not everyone is unfortunately, hence the spread.

I believe that if you present yourself to medical with gastro issues they provide a free exam. When my wife and I had Noro on the last night of our cruise a few years ago we were not charged for our middle of the night visit. I wish we could have stayed onboard and been confined to our cabin. Unfortunately we had to disembark. We did get the concierge to cancel our flights and find a hotel room. Was supposed to be early check-in but when we got to the hotel (I have no idea how we got there) we had to sit in the lobby for hours probably spreading it to others!

Travel insurance paid for our change of flight and extra hotel stay. We did have a "don't fly" letter from the Dr but Jet Blue charged change fee and fare difference anyway.

From what I just read, you are probably right, darn it. I'll see if she would prescribe Zofran for the stomach symptoms.

Wouldn't you want the virus out rather than in?? I've never understood the concept of keeping bugs like this from doing their jobs.

IF they give you compensation, they are being generous. It's not their fault your wife got sick...it comes from other passengers! Or, from someone you were in contact with prior to the cruise....

Well really it comes from an individual touching something with noro then touching their face or mouth without washing their hands first. We hold all the control as to whether we get it or not.

It's why I've stopped eating bread when at windjammer, because I touch tongs then don't want to put my hands to my mouth like I would with toast or a sandwich. Utensils all the way.

I plan to ask my Doctor for Tamiflu anti-viral medicine to bring with us on our Nov cruise on Reflection. What kind of meds did the Doctor onboard give the Noro patients?

What is the tamiflu for?!