Snorkeling in Grand Cayman vs. Cozumel?

HumMayDum

Hey everyone, first post here so if I'm doing something wrong please let me know!

I've book a cruise for me and my partner and it will be going to both Grand Cayman and Cozumel in January.

My SO is comfortable at snorkeling maybe 10-15 ft underwater? and me ... not so much but that doesn't matter!

I was wondering if it'd be better to snorkel in one place over the other? I'm looking for a depth that isn't too scary (so probably nothing more than 20ft?), a reef that has a lot of oceanlife (corals, fish, turtles, etc), and was enjoyable of course.

Please let me know if you think one is better than the other for our situation, if you need any more information from me to give a better diagnosis let me know!

I have snorkeled both many times and Grand Cayman is the best in my opinion.

Book a tour to Stingray City with an additional snorkeling stop. Stingray City is snorkeling with very tame Stingrays in 4 feet of water. Wonderful experience. Most additional snorkeling stops are in 6 - 10 feet deep water. Water in Grand Cayman is usually very calm and really clear.

Mike

I have snorkeled both many times and Grand Cayman is the best in my opinion.

Book a tour to Stingray City with an additional snorkeling stop. Stingray City is snorkeling with very tame Stingrays in 4 feet of water. Wonderful experience. Most additional snorkeling stops are in 6 - 10 feet deep water. Water in Grand Cayman is usually very calm and really clear.

Mike

Thank you for the response! I don't know if you remember ... but I was looking at GC88: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=GC88&DestinationCode=

If you booked this trip, do you remember if it was at the sting ray city sandbar (where the water was shallow) or was it elsewhere where it's deeper?

Hey everyone, first post here so if I'm doing something wrong please let me know!

I've book a cruise for me and my partner and it will be going to both Grand Cayman and Cozumel in January.

My SO is comfortable at snorkeling maybe 10-15 ft underwater? and me ... not so much but that doesn't matter!

I was wondering if it'd be better to snorkel in one place over the other? I'm looking for a depth that isn't too scary (so probably nothing more than 20ft?), a reef that has a lot of oceanlife (corals, fish, turtles, etc), and was enjoyable of course.

Please let me know if you think one is better than the other for our situation, if you need any more information from me to give a better diagnosis let me know!

I would go with Grand Caymans for shallow reef snorkeling. I normally book a sail/snorkel thru the ship. As far as Cozumel goes, I normally book Fury Catamaran. Sometimes you get a somewhat shallow reef, sometimes you get Palancar Reef, which is very deep. Whichever you get, I've always had a great time on Fury Catamaran excursions. They make the trip memorable and the boats/crew are top drawer. You're in for two great sail/snorkel trips, some of the best in the Caribbean!!!

Why not snorkel in BOTH Grand Cayman and Cozumel? Much of the beauty in both of those locations is UNDER the water rather than on land. You can easily manage a bit of strolling around in town yet still get in some good snorkeling in either location.(I'd snorkel first, throw on a cover up or clothing, and THEN investigate the town or whatever.)

With regard to Grand Cayman, If you are taken to "the Gardens" near where a wall drops off, the shallow snorkeling is usually really good. (Two different independent Stingray City excursions - NOT booked through our ship - took us to Stingray City plus 2 more snorkeling stops. It's been a few years so I don't recall who we went with.)

In Cozumel I've snorkeled several different areas, including Palancar and Columbia reefs. (Went with my husband on a dive boat and snorkeled around on the surface for fun when the divers were way down there.) By far the most beautiful snorkeling location at Cozumel was years ago at Chankanaab National Marine Park on my first 2 visits to the park. The water isn't very deep. (In fact, there are some coral arches and things novice divers visit in only about 15 of water a bit further from the shore in that area.) My 3rd time there things weren't so good. Lots of damage from storms & resulting rough water had done a job on that area and it showed. I was told it would take several years before it would recover. It might be fabulous now, or perhaps there have been other severe storms in the not too distanct past that might have affected it. However, it's always been known as a snorkeling location. You can easily take a taxi there. There is an admission charge. You DON'T have to be restricted to booking w/your ship and having to go in a herd at a time of their choosing. ANY taxi will take you there. Taxi charges are printed on stand up signs as you exit the port area and you will see the cabs lined up. (Easy to get a return taxi as well.) A good thing to do would be to google Chankanaab Park. (There will be a lot of photos and info. You can also do a search for it on tripadvisor.com.) There are restrooms, food, drink, lounge chairs for rent, a dolphin show, and more. One thing - although there is a sandy "beach" on which to sunbathe or watch the action in the water, the shoreline is rocky (w/coral) and you must enter via some steps or a ladder (I have forgotten which). Once in, bottom is fine and you don't need reef shoes.

I don't know if you are new to snorkeling or not, but in case you are, one last thing. Even wonderful snorkeling sites can vary from day to day. It depends upon conditions, time of day, weather, you name it. A site might be fabulous one time and maybe another time it won't, and you will be scratching your head over why.

Have a great time snorkeling wherever you end up!

I always book private tours in Grand Cayman. Stingray City and Sandbar are close to each other. I think Sandbar is better because the water in more shallow there.

Steve Irwin died in Australia from a freak Stingray encounter. The Stingrays in Grand Cayman are conditioned to human interaction by years of tours and being stung there would be extremely rare.

Mike

I always book private tours in Grand Cayman. Stingray City and Sandbar are close to each other. I think Sandbar is better because the water in more shallow there.

Steve Irwin died in Australia from a freak Stingray encounter. The Stingrays in Grand Cayman are conditioned to human interaction by years of tours and being stung there would be extremely rare.

Mike

That is exactly my point. 'Freak' accident and with the lovely Steve. (RIP)

But, they are indeed quite pervy at Stingray City. The stingrays like to follow you around and poke your behind! lol

That is exactly my point. 'Freak' accident and with the lovely Steve. (RIP)

But, they are indeed quite pervy at Stingray City. The stingrays like to follow you around and poke your behind! lol

I have a hard time calling Steve lovely after a dangling his infant over an open crocodile's mouth. If memory serves, he accosted a large ray in the wild.

I have a hard time calling Steve lovely after a dangling his infant over an open crocodile's mouth. If memory serves, he accosted a large ray in the wild.

Not sure which one of his kids he might of done that with, but I've seen his son Robert on TV several times. I think he adjusted just fine ;p and turned into a very special young man.

Here he is on The Tonight show Jimmy Fallon

Also to OP. Enjoy your Cruise and snorkeling. But I would find snorkeling at 20ft quite a challenge. I would plan for shallower depth than that.

dp

Edited by dpostman

I'd be more worried about moray eels in Grand Cayman than the stingray. About 15 years ago, we were snorkeling in Grand Cayman and I watched as a large eel swam out and bit a huge chunk out of a mans arm. Had to get emergency evacuated to the hospital. Saw him on the ship later and he had something like 90 stitches.

That said, I think the snorkeling is better in Grand Cayman. Though I don't think either compare to the upper Keys. If you really want to snorkel, stay an extra day in Miami and book a trip out of Key Largo :)

Once you have snorkeled one reef in the Caribbean, you have seen them all. I probably would pick Cayman OR Cozumel and not both, unless you really, really like snorkeling.

As someone mentioned, the snorkel excursions provide a vest so it doesn't matter the depth. A mile off Caymen drops off to a few thousand feet and you see both very large and small fish. We did it in Caymen and loved it except for the nasty mouth pieces. When we arrived we found that they had all the mouth pieces hanging off a barrel. We were told to get one and then get our vest and flippers. After the excursion was over we were told to throw our mouth pieces a a large bucket. While waiting for some friends to finish, we observed them taking the mouth pieces and hanging them back on the barrel without washing them. They were getting ready for the next group.:mad:

As someone mentioned, the snorkel excursions provide a vest so it doesn't matter the depth. A mile off Caymen drops off to a few thousand feet and you see both very large and small fish. We did it in Caymen and loved it except for the nasty mouth pieces. When we arrived we found that they had all the mouth pieces hanging off a barrel. We were told to get one and then get our vest and flippers. After the excursion was over we were told to throw our mouth pieces a a large bucket. While waiting for some friends to finish, we observed them taking the mouth pieces and hanging them back on the barrel without washing them. They were getting ready for the next group.:mad:

hummm... ewe. We did the Scuba excursion on our last cruise. We brought our essentials but used the supplied regulators in CocoCay. Hoping they had a better cleaning system than just hanging on the side of a barrel in the sunlight. :p

dp

That large barrel you drop your mouth pieces in is full of a disinfecting solution... (or it is supposed to be).... no need to "wash" them for the next guests. But to be certain you're not sharing other peoples germies....take your own........... we do. :-)

In Grand Cayman.... we have enjoyed the Stingray City Swim & Snorkel excursion a few times. We enjoyed the Kittiwake Shipwreck & reef snorkel with Red Sail Sports (booked thru the ship) two times as well.............. both are enjoyable. We have snorkeled from the shore at a resort in Cozumel (up north) once & didn't like it..... water was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO rough. Chankanaab Park has a snorkeling site accessible from the shore .... looks fairly calm. If you like to snorkel..... then try it at BOTH stops.... if you only want to choose one...then choose Cayman.....

Cayman much better. The stingray and Snorkel is good but I enjoyed the Snorkel better. The Stingrays really act like pets looking for treats and are not like the giant rays that got Irwin.

FYI. You can actually do a pretty good Snorkel on your own. There is a reef a few blocks to the right of the drop off dock. Dive shop their has lockers for valuables. Not bad at all if you don't want to do a tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wanted to add we used Mobydicktours.com. They picked us up at the dock and drove us to their boat. We did Sting Ray City and and Reef Snorkel. Water was less than 15 feet at reef. Good Snorkel.

After the boat returned they return you to dock but we asked them to drop us off at 7 mile beach which is on the route. Took a cab back from the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The person who posted "Once you have snorkeled one reef in the Caribbean, you have seen them all" is so totally incorrect! Perhaps that person doesn't recognize the differences. Go slowly (unless you are drift snorkeling and can't), be patient and you will often see much more!) Not only do conditions cause a location to be a bit different from time to time, some locations have different fish than other ones, different terrain on the sea floor, and more. I know this for a fact as my dh and I have snorkeled off of a number of different islands in the carribean. Grand Cayman is excellent for the Caribbean (and I'd also vote for that IF you want to snorkel in just once during your cruise vacation). However, Bora Bora and thereabouts beats anywhere else to shreds, and we've snorkeled in many other places like south FL, Hawaii, various islands in French Polynesia (Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea, Raitea, Huahine), in Brazil, in Greece and numerous places in Mexico. Different locations on the same island can often be a bit different as well. While locations on a Caribbean island can be very similar in many instances, the coral formations alone can differ a great deal sometimes. I've heard people comment, "once you have seen a Caribbean island, you have seen them all" as well. Just not accurate.

On grand Cayman there are several make your own excursions snorkeling off the beach is easy there,the reefs are close to shore, check out Eden rock,you can walk to it from the tender port,rent a locker and jump in. Or take a city bus or taxi to cemetery beach,an absolutely beautiful each that very few go to,the reef is a short swim,when you are done walk out to the street and take the bus back,$6 excursion. In Cozumel you need to take a boat to get to the reef,lots of choices,pick o e that suits you best. Check trip advisor for reviews and choices.

Grand Cayman, hands down. Beautiful reefs, not much current, great animals. Cozumel is usually deep and is mostly 'drift' diving, thus not too many shallow places. I've been a diver for 28 years and Cozumel should in my opinion, be reserved for more experienced divers and snorkelers, just because of the current being so strong. Grand Cayman is a piece of cake for anyone, especially beginners.

My dive clubs in Florida have been to both places many times and Grand Cayman is definitely the favorite.