Please princess, get some decent bath towels

Optotronics

I did not find them as being worn out. Just very stiff, small and not something comforting to the skin unless they are towels with a built in loofah function:)

I told the steward that they stocked our bath towels with bath mats by accident. He replaced them with the same thing. I though that maybe someone at corporate accidentally order half a million bath mats rather than bath towels

Our last cruise on Royal....my neck actually bled in a spot because the towel was so stiff!!

I notice that 4X4 mentioned taking extra towels and running them thru the washer and dryer.

The towel issues are probably made worse by how the ship handles the linens. Probably washed and abused in huge machines of boiling hot water and bleach, and then thrown directly in o the dryers.

While I do NOT want to think about laundering towels while cruising. (supposed to be free of chores, and being waited on hand and foot... no cooking cleaning or laundry!!!) I do imagine that if one takes their favorite detergent and fabric softener, and runs a load of the towels (if one can find towels that have not already become too thin and threadbare from the shops laundry) this might improve the situation!

Wrong on so many fronts!!!

Please keep your own detergents and fabric softeners at home. Don't you realize that the waste water from the laundry is discharged overboard? Some lines do provide biodegradable laundry products. Is yours "ocean safe?"

As for the condition of the towels on any particular line: you get what you pay for. In the modern world of tourist hospitality, any daily charge that is less than $200-$300 per day is cutting corners somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Doesn't Princess supply each room with two beach towels anymore? I used those for my shower. Left them on the floor before evening clean up and had new fresh ones for the next day.

Our last couple of cruises we haven't had beach towels supplied in our room (we were on cool weather itinerary so maybe this was itinerary driven?). They were available by the pool.

It's just one part just part of the myriad, slow but inexorable cost-cutting lessening of standards/quality on Princess I've noticed since my first cruise in 2000.

Lead-in fares have remained lower than if they kept up with inflation, so they've moved to an increase in on board revenue combined with cost-cutting measures to 'compensate'.

A cruise just isn't what it used to be.

Edited by Bill B

Yes it is. Try Oceania (not that much more expensive than Princess and you get a far better, higher quality and more inclusive experience.

My next cruise is on Silversea - essentially 'all inclusive' - Ushuaia to Cape Town (I want to see South Georgia), 21 nights on the Silver Cloud Expedition (200 pax to 206 crew).

Of course it depends on the itinerary (and Princess doesn't offer a similar itinerary), but if I booked a Mini Suite room on Princess (the closest comparable and not as luxurious as SS's) with 100% single supplement (SS's is 25%), added: tips, a Premier Beverage Package, a few Ultimate Balcony Dinners, three transfers, a night pre-cruise in a 5-star luxury hotel and a flight from Santiago to Ushuaia, it could quite easily cost more per day than on Silversea... and I wouldn't have a butler... or a minibar with an endless supply of premium liquors... or included shore landings. There's no comparing the buffets; and I'll be surrounded by marble and teak... not fiberglass.

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure the towels will be 'soft and fluffy'. ;)

Edited by Bill B

I appreciate the sentiment Flatbush Flyer...

And, as I mentioned, This might be a part of the problem with the towels as they are constantly being processed by the ships service/linen laundry. they are not processed with detergent and softener. Just boiling hot water and bleach (or whatever) to sanitize them.

However, it seems that the vending machines in the guest laundromat onboard have regular products? (unless I am mistaken)

I see a recent photo posted here on the Forum, that shows Downy fabric softener.

Perhaps the smaller amount of wastewater used in the guest laundromat is not deemed to be an issue.

Or it is handled such that it is not usually discharged at sea???

In any case. It is what it is....

And, if I need to run a load of laundry, then I will have to run a load of laundry.

Oh how I agree! It's not actually the thickness of the towels that bothers me, it's the size of them! I'm only 5' tall, yet the towels barely cover me from chest to......well, you know!!!!

If it is a matter of not enough towel to dry you off, you could do what I do - ask for 2 or 3 towels.

DON

I appreciate the sentiment Flatbush Flyer...

And, as I mentioned, This might be a part of the problem with the towels as they are constantly being processed by the ships service/linen laundry. they are not processed with detergent and softener. Just boiling hot water and bleach (or whatever) to sanitize them.

However, it seems that the vending machines in the guest laundromat onboard have regular products? (unless I am mistaken)

I see a recent photo posted here on the Forum, that shows Downy fabric softener.

Perhaps the smaller amount of wastewater used in the guest laundromat is not deemed to be an issue.

Or it is handled such that it is not usually discharged at sea???

In any case. It is what it is....

And, if I need to run a load of laundry, then I will have to run a load of laundry.

The cruise lines we use, which offer self-serve laundries, also provide "ocean safe" cleaning materials.

Wrong on so many fronts!!!

Please keep your own detergents and fabric softeners at home. Don't you realize that the waste water from the laundry is discharged overboard? Some lines do provide biodegradable laundry products. Is yours "ocean safe?"

As for the condition of the towels on any particular line: you get what you pay for. In the modern world of tourist hospitality, any daily charge that is less than $200-$300 per day is cutting corners somewhere.

Sorry, can’t use what they provide on the ship. I can’t do dyes or perfumes at all. I’ll spend the rest of the cruise itching and rashy. And needing steroids. I’ll keep bringing my dye free pods.

Sorry, can’t use what they provide on the ship. I can’t do dyes or perfumes at all. I’ll spend the rest of the cruise itching and rashy. And needing steroids. I’ll keep bringing my dye free pods.

I don't use their laundry room that much but I've never seen a sign warning people to use biodegradable laundry products.

That would be the first place they would post anything to that effect.

On Oceania, the provided liquid is scent and dye free.

I disagree with whoever said the towels in Club class where better. We did the transatlantic on Regal in September. Our towels where grey, hard and nasty. As my husband said, no way would I have towels like this in any of our bathrooms at home. I wouldn’t even use them for the dogs towel.

Did notice fluffy, white towels on the stewards cart, but we never got them.

Tbh, didn’t think the standard of cabin cleaning was great either.

:( I'm starting to get a phobia. noro virus,bad/small food portions.leaking plumbing, long lines at buffets,mean/rude people,excessive corkage fees and tipping, maniacs on scooters, lounge chair poachers and now linens. This might well be the worst 10k I've spent.

You and me both c- boy.

Our first cruise on Princess is next Sunday. I am kinda of fearing the worst after reading all of these comments. We paid a lot of money for our Suite on the Star Princess to Hawaii. [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did not find them as being worn out. Just very stiff, small and not something comforting to the skin unless they are towels with a built in loofah function:)

I told the steward that they stocked our bath towels with bath mats by accident. He replaced them with the same thing. I though that maybe someone at corporate accidentally order half a million bath mats rather than bath towels

Exactly my thoughts. We were in a suite last week and had nice, THICK towels but felt like a giant loofa when trying to dry myself. I even joked to myself saying that they could at least help get rid of any rough winter skin.