Stupid Question, please do not flame me

az-cruiser

I own a clothing store and I can tell you that distressed jeans are very much in style. I think the op would be fine wearing them in the MDR. We were on the Spirit last year and people were wearing shorts in Le Bistro. I always wear dress pants to the specialty restaurants but that’s my own preference.

The last time I wore ripped jeans was 1987. I can't believe they're still in style 3 decades later.

Hard to figure, I was verbally assaulted in 1969 for wearing bell bottoms because I was obviously making fun of the US Navy.

Hard to figure, I was verbally assaulted in 1969 for wearing bell bottoms because I was obviously making fun of the US Navy.

Verbally assaulted? What did they say to you? I guess they were hot in the 1970's. You were a year too early.

LOL...ripped and torn isn't a gray area. They are either ripped/torn or they aren't. "Fashionably" ripped is still ripped.

You can only wear ripped/torn/raggedy clothes if your name is Ann or Andy !!;p:D

I do not like seeing torn, ripped and ragged clothing on anyone when I am trying to eat my lunch or dinner. You may think you look cool but your fellow cruisers do not. I am not trying to 'flame you' just pointing out that it's not all about you and what you think is fashion.

I do not like seeing torn, ripped and ragged clothing on anyone when I am trying to eat my lunch or dinner. You may think you look cool but your fellow cruisers do not. I am not trying to 'flame you' just pointing out that it's not all about you and what you think is fashion.

Then who is it about? Dressing for our fellow cruisers? C'mon now. Be realistic.

I'm not looking underneath anyone else's table while I'm eating, so it's not an issue with me.

.......because as you should know it's all about me and what I think is fashion!

:rolleyes:

Probably more feel the way you do than feel it is super cute and totally in style. I remember years ago, sitting at our table on a Princess cruise, at dinner next to an older (well older to me then) man who was over weight and wearing cargo shorts, totally wrinkled and so was his shirt and flip flops. I hove to be relaxed and comfortable but man did i think he had carried it too far. Princess did have a strict dress code at the time, but someone was not paying much attention i guess.

Nothing silly with the question .. 5 pages to answer the question, well that is silly :)

NCL states that a "Smart Casual Dress Code" is required for Dining on their website.

business-casual-infographic-dress-codes.jpg

So, no to holes in jeans. Could they let you into the dining room? Yes.. Could they also give you are hard time? Yes

NCL states that a "Smart Casual Dress Code" is required for Dining on their website.

Not necessarily. It depends on the restaurant.

So, no to holes in jeans. Could they let you into the dining room? Yes.. Could they also give you are hard time? Yes

NCL states...

CRUISE CASUAL

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men.

SMART CASUAL

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

A FEW CONSIDERATIONS

Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. However, tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

The definition of "overly" would be up to the interpretation of the staff. Plus, the MDR (Manhattan Room) may or may not be more formal than the other MDRs. Check the dailies.

Nothing silly with the question .. 5 pages to answer the question, well that is silly :)

business-casual-infographic-dress-codes.jpg

This graphic is too small to read. However it does not come from NCL so who cares what it says. NCL website says smart casual includes jeans for both men and women. Does not state they must be a certain type.

This graphic is too small to read. However it does not come from NCL so who cares what it says. NCL website says smart casual includes jeans for both men and women. Does not state they must be a certain type.

Here are the rules from NCL's site

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack

for those that don't understand :confused: what Smart Casual vs Casual is.. I added a standard description for all

NCL DINNER= SMART CASUAL

NCL DAYTIME=CASUAL

SIMPLE ;)

Here is a larger view of the definitions for Dress Codes (and these are standard definitions)

http://aviditii.com/2015/08/28/whats-the-difference-between-business-casual-and-smart-casual-a-handy-guide-on-how-to-dress/

You are incorrect.

MOST restaurants are "cruise casual" including most specialty restaurants at dinner.

I added the rules from NCL's website and they are clear as day if you read them.

If not, you can wear a pink tutu to dinner for all I care ;p I am just answering the original poster's question from NCL (again, as stated on their site)

I added the rules from NCL's website and they are clear as day if you read them.

How did you reach "NCL DINNER= SMART CASUAL" when the NCL link has "Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants"?

Can you wear shorts in Cagney's for dinner? Yes.

Why? Because it is a specialty restaurant that is "CRUISE CASUAL" and "smart casual" is not required there.

How did you reach "NCL DINNER= SMART CASUAL" when the NCL link has "Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants"?

Can you wear shorts in Cagney's for dinner? Yes.

Why? Because it is a specialty restaurant that is "CRUISE CASUAL" and "smart casual" is not required there.

Simple.. I can't help a person who cannot read :rolleyes:

NCL's site:

SMART CASUAL

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts

CRUISE CASUAL

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men.and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

We'll just ignore the comma and the word "and"....:rolleyes:

You can ignore it all if you want. I don't care how you interpret the rules and I don't make up the rules on the ship. I simply answered the question from the original poster by stating exactly what NCL states on their website.

I’m surprised that “every woman” you know is wearing ripped jeans. NO women I know are wearing them. I see lots of teenagers wearing them though. I suppose if I saw a woman them I’d assume she was having a midlife crisis. However, I’m typing this while I’m in my upper 40’s wearing Mickey Mouse leggings, so I generally think people can wear whatever they want.

Midlife crisis? Or just being comfortable in what they are wearing and how they look. My wife and many of her friends in their 40's all have jeans that are distressed. I haven't seen any of them wearing MM leggings though.

Actually it is all about what the person is wearing and how comfortable they feel about what they are wearing. As long as their genitals aren't exposed for all to see, it shouldn't be any of your concern. I don't like seeing large people sausage themselves into spandex and the like, but it isn't about me.

You can ignore it all if you want. I don't care how you interpret the rules and I don't make up the rules on the ship. I simply answered the question from the original poster by stating exactly what NCL states on their website.

The site states "jeans that are overly faded with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants"

Whether dinner or lunch doesn't matter.

YOU posted that "NCL DINNER= SMART CASUAL" which is NOT always the case. The MAJORITY of dinner restaurants are NOT SMART CASUAL.

The site states "jeans that are overly faded with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants"

Whether dinner or lunch doesn't matter.

YOU posted that "NCL DINNER= SMART CASUAL" which is NOT always the case. The MAJORITY of dinner restaurants are NOT SMART CASUAL.

Now, I understand exactly WHY there are 6 pages to answer a simple question

Simple.. I can't help a person who cannot read :rolleyes:

NCL's site:

SMART CASUAL

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts

CRUISE CASUAL

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men.and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

I think your confusion here is that you are ignoring the words specifying WHERE the smart casual should be worn, and you are misinterpreting the "during the day" to mean actual daytime or daylight hours. Focus on the word ANYTIME instead of ignoring that in order to highlight the other part. The day is 24 hours long. ANYTIME during the day cruise casual can be worn in the places specified. Smart casual is required in the places described in your post. Your quote is accurate, but you are misunderstanding it.