Stupid Question, please do not flame me

az-cruiser

A short while ago, the question was whether or not jeans of any kind were acceptable for dinner in any ship's venue. Now it's whether or not ripped clothes are OK.

Ripped clothes is not a fad or trend that I like to see on anyone, but that is the choice of the wearer, not me.

It’s not a fad or trend at all. Ripped jeans have been around since the eighties and maybe earlier. I was 13 in 1989 wearing my first pair and I’m 41 now still wearing them and they are more popular then ever. That’s not something I would call a fad or a trend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just came back from a cruise on the Breakaway. You will be fine for lunch or dinner in the more casual dining rooms (Savor & Taste), based on what I've seen people wear. It's possible you will be let in to the Main Dining Room, the Manhattan Room on Breakaway in the jeans you described.

I just came back from a cruise on the Breakaway. You will be fine for lunch or dinner in the more casual dining rooms (Savor & Taste), based on what I've seen people wear. It's possible you will be let in to the Main Dining Room, the Manhattan Room on Breakaway in the jeans you described.

You can wear shorts in all main dining rooms, including the Manhattan Room.

The distressed look are for those who wish to attempt to maintain a youthful appearance.

You can wear shorts in all main dining rooms, including the Manhattan Room.

The distressed look are for those who wish to attempt to maintain a youthful appearance.

I wasn't talking about shorts. I was addressing the op's question about her style of jeans being allowed.

It’s not a fad or trend at all. Ripped jeans have been around since the eighties and maybe earlier. I was 13 in 1989 wearing my first pair and I’m 41 now still wearing them and they are more popular then ever. That’s not something I would call a fad or a trend.

It's just a fad that's come back. I have a pair of ripped jeans. I would be embarrassed to wear them to dinner at a nice restaurant on a cruise ship. Before you call me rude, it was the OP that opened this can of worms.

When In Doubt, I highly suggest wearing the robes that NCL leaves in your room for use.

Nothing says I love your cruise line more than parading around 24/7 in just an NCL robe.

Surely they will have to allow you in all restaurants. After all...it was their suggestion by leaving the robes in your room.

I think the only question for the OP is ... (hello OP, original poster, are you here?), is... how will you feel if, at the restaurant they say... " I'm sorry, you'll need to change your apparel or please go to different restaurant"

If you don't mind and won't be embarrassed being asked these questions, then just wear the jeans... however, if you think you'll be embarrassed... choose something else to wear..

Enjoy your cruise OP.

I love the fashion trend of ripped/torn jeans. I hate pants, including jeans in general and refuse to wear anything but shorts unless required. In the movie "Easy Money" starring Rodney Dangerfield, the main character came out with a "Regular Guy" line of clothing, including expandable waist bands for buffet dining.

The only thing I have against torn jeans is the lack of expandable waist band. Wear them, eat, drink, and enjoy!

This is another one of those threads where the OP asks a question, gets a ton of responses, many disagreeing with each other, and they don't come back.

Mission accomplished.

They don't owe you a response. Get over yourself. Who do you think you are?

Interesting conversation here, with or without the OP. Have we come a long way? Remember the days when we all dressed up for dinner on a ship and no one would think of wearing jeans or shorts. We had to formal nights, with most guys wearing tux and we wore long dresses or after 5 attire. That was part of the fun of cruising. Now, we are asking is it ok to wear clothes with holes in them, fashion or not? How about taking a middle ground. Most of us are thrilled we do not have to lug all those heavy clothes around and yet, I would hope the new trendy ripped jeans isn't something most of us relish either. I have an 11 year old great granddaughter who is very much into fashion but does she wear jeans with holes in them? Hell know, her dad would not let her out of the house. I am guessing she never will wear them. On the other hand, we have young teens in our church that do wear them.

They don't owe you a response. Get over yourself. Who do you think you are?

It's pretty common for posters to disappear if they don't like the answer. No need to fight about it.

There must be someone at NCL whom the OP could ask in advance about the dress code.

Holey ragged jeans are not a new trend; I've seen it off and on for many years. One advantage of being older is that you realize most trends come around again and again. For instance, leggings, tights or whatever they have been called have had at least four incarnations during my life time, if not more. In-out-in-out.

It's a very teen-agey-young 20ish trend here, except for a few mom's that try a little too hard to look young. Yep, I do see them at our church.

The OP will likely be fine in most venues, though not my cup of tea.

I think the only question for the OP is ... <snip>how will you feel if, at the restaurant they say... " I'm sorry, you'll need to change your apparel or please go to different restaurant"

If you don't mind and won't be embarrassed being asked these questions, then just wear the jeans... however, if you think you'll be embarrassed... choose something else to wear..

Ditto this.

It's just a fad that's come back. I have a pair of ripped jeans. I would be embarrassed to wear them to dinner at a nice restaurant on a cruise ship. Before you call me rude, it was the OP that opened this can of worms.

You having a pair and being embarrassed to wear them have no bearing on whether or not they are a fad. Of which I strongly disagree. They don’t come back.., cause they never went anywhere. Out of all the “nice” restaurants on the cruise ship, there are only 2 in which they won’t be allowed. And that is Le Bistro and the Manhattan room. And even the Manhattan room is hit or miss. And I don’t think you are rude. I just disagree.

You having a pair and being embarrassed to wear them have no bearing on whether or not they are a fad. Of which I strongly disagree. They don’t come back.., cause they never went anywhere. Out of all the “nice” restaurants on the cruise ship, there are only 2 in which they won’t be allowed. And that is Le Bistro and the Manhattan room. And even the Manhattan room is hit or miss. And I don’t think you are rude. I just disagree.

So La Cucina italian is not dressy? I can find no reference to the Manhattan, room on the Sun. Is it on every ship?

So La Cucina italian is not dressy? I can find no reference to the Manhattan, room on the Sun. Is it on every ship?

The Manhattan Room is the main dining room on the Breakaway. The dining rooms have different names on the different ships. All ships with two main dining rooms will have one that is more formal than the other.

Le Bistro is dressy, by Norwegian standards. Then, Cagney’s. I don’t think of La Cucina as particularly dressy. It’s not Pizza Hut, but Italian food isn’t as formal as a steakhouse or French food. (Not sure why, just seems to be the case.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry about that. The Manhattan room is on the breakaway of which I thought that is what the OP was asking about however upon going back they did not specify. I must have picked that up from someone else’s response. La Cuchina is probably the most casual of all the specialties and to be honest I saw nothing special about it.