Why board so early

Erikamac

Just got my cruise documents and it has suggested board times based on floor...I never noticed this before with Celebrity. it says 12:30-1:30 for us but the boat doesn't leave until 6:30!?!?! why would I want to get on that early...usually it is 2-3 hrs before leaving.

We can never wait to board! Whilst we love Sydney we fly in a few days early to enjoy (or stay a few days post cruise) without the hassle of toting luggage.

The views from the ship over the harbour are fabulous too! We never tire of watching those ferries come in and out. Find a seat, get a drink in hand and just soak it in.

If you do choose to come at a later time it will not be an issue, just contact Celebrity first and find out what final boarding time is....We found ferry times in Sydney reliable but bus times less so owing to traffic so work out your sightseeing times carefully. Rooms are usually open 1 -1.30pm. We try to unpack as luggage arrives and be all neat and tidy pre muster so our cruise can really begin!

We booked Tuscan Grill first night just after the ship sailed....Wonderful views! Highly recommend!

Have a fantastic time.

Boarding early....gives you time to:

get adjusted to the ship, check on or make dinner res and tables, book a spa service, have a cocktail, lunch, start the vacation! You are paying for Day 1..but it's up to you!

Boarding process can be stressful . Once we are on board we relax..and when our luggage arrives we really relax!

The 12:30-1:30 was only a preferred time they would like you there. It was so you could have lunch and acclimate yourself to the ship. However, check in later if you wish.

Enjoy Sydney - it is a great city. Allow time to get to the quay.

There are pluses and minuses. Basically it is to get on board ASAP and start the cruise instead of hanging around a hotel, airport and etc.

And in someways it doesn’t make any sense as everyone is always in a rush or hurrry to get way and relax but end up standing in line or waiting. After getting on board it involves more rushing for everything else. Rush to dinner, rush to the port, rush to the tour and etc just to wait or stand in a line causing more stress than what they wanted to get away from

Then for all the rushing and hurry to get on board it is worse when the cruise ends.

People can’t wait to get on and in a bigger hurry to get off when the cruise ends.

Happy cruising 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅

From a company perspective it totally makes sense: Board early = hope passengers will spend more given the crew have more time for sales pitches while people are waiting in lounges and buffet with less things to do. Then there is the (everyone at once) issue. Imagine if all 2500+ passengers showed up right before the cut off = ship would be late leaving costing the company $$$ an may not sail with everyone due to document issues.

From a passenger perspective: Drink more, eat more, explore the ship, check table assignments and make reservations for specialty dining, spa or gym classes.

Personally we fly in the day of sailing on most of our cruises so we're landing or catching the cab when boarding begins or already started. Many times when we board waiting time for cabins to be ready is 5-10min or no wait at all. Love watching as they make the announcement the cabins are ready how many passengers act so relieved with that "FINALLY- It's about time" look. Hey nobody said you had to be at the ship at 9-10am to be one of the 1st few hundred people on board.

Just got my cruise documents and it has suggested board times based on floor...I never noticed this before with Celebrity. it says 12:30-1:30 for us but the boat doesn't leave until 6:30!?!?! why would I want to get on that early...usually it is 2-3 hrs before leaving.

You don't have to check in at the time that is suggested.

For sure the vacation is started unless there is something better to do off ship. We boarded around 3 pm out of Boston once and did a walking tour in the morning and had lunch off ship too.

I have to admit that I love getting on board fairly early. On our last cruise, we boarded and went directly to a specialty restaurant to make a reservation for that night. Later we heard from others that all of the specialty restaurants were fully booked for the evening. However, when circumstances have dictated that we arrive later, I've enjoyed being able to walk on the ship without waiting in lines and having our cabin ready for us.

Why not? Thank goodness everyone doesn’t want to board at the same time, as it makes it way too crowded. If you want to be first onboard or last, it is your choice! So, enjoy what you want on the day of your cruise, but don’t be late or you’ll be waving goodby to a wonderful time...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always board early for several reasons. First we eat very little for breakfast and want to have lunch around noon. Then, if the ship is new to us, it gives us the chance to get to know the layout of the decks so that the next day, sea day, perhaps, is spent doing fun, fun things!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always enjoy boarding early. First, you can make sure you have appropriate spa bookings at the time best for you, before the prime times get gobbled up. Also, the same for specialty restaurant days and times. We get to lunch without difficulty finding a seat. Occasionally, we are lucky enough to get access to our stateroom early and have our luggage delivered before the muster station drills. We are all unpacked and ready to begin your vacation immediately.

We enjoy exploring the ship, even if we have sailed on her before.

As others stated, the moment we board, our vacation begins! We enjoy a drink- and relax!

This is why they make chocolate and vanilla. People like different things. We like to board fairly early to have a look around the ship, drop our carry ons as soon as the cabins are open, usually 1pm or so and with any luck our luggage comes up early and we can unpack and get settled before dinner. It is all personal choice. The morning we sailed from Sydney we took a long walk around the downtown area, came back to our hotel to wash up and then walked across the street to the ship. As others have said, the views and sights from around the ship in Sydney harbor are pretty spectacular and so is sail away, weather permitting. One note, in Sydney, once you board you cannot go back ashore. Erikamac, enjoy the morning in Sydney, it is a great city with lots to see.

We always need wheelchair assistance for my husband. We order a scooter which is in our cabin. I can honestly say that most of the times they take us to our cabin to get it. Otherwise they have to leave the wheelchair till the rooms are open.

We then have lunch and go around the ship. We also go early to the Muster area just to not have any issues with elevators.