Butler and concierge tip question

ad69690

i did a search for this and couldn’t find a quick answer. New to ncl, what’s the “suggested” or “recommended” amount to tip the butler and concierge?
There is no recommended amount (when I asked the same question, I got $35 to $500 for a week). Tipping is very personal and you should take into consideration what services you asked for, how those services are rendered and, of course, your budget. No matter what amount you come up with, they will be appreciative.

Now after saying the above, I start with $10 for the Butler per person per day and $5 for the Concierge per person per day. I can add or subtract from those figures, based on the quality of the service I receive.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by NLH Arizona

There is no recommended amount (when I asked the same question, I got $35 to $500 for a week). Tipping is very personal and you should take into consideration what services you asked for, how those services are rendered and, of course, your budget. No matter what amount you come up with, they will be appreciative.

Now after saying the above, I start with $10 for the Butler per person per day and $50 for the Concierge per person per day. I can add or subtract from those figures, based on the quality of the service I receive.

Enjoy your cruise!

I don't think you meant 50 bucks for the concierge per person/per day, did you?

Now after saying the above, I start with $10 for the Butler per person per day and $50 for the Concierge per person per day. I can add or subtract from those figures, based on the quality of the service I receive.

Enjoy your cruise!

$50 pp per day for the Concierge? That would be $1400 for my 14 day cruise!

i did a search for this and couldn’t find a quick answer. New to ncl, what’s the “suggested” or “recommended” amount to tip the butler and concierge?

$10-$15 per person in the room per days of cruise for the butler (e.g., $10 * 2 people * 7 days)

$5-$10 per person in the room per days of cruise for the concierge

$5-$10 per person in the room per days of cruise extra for the room steward for you large room (also gets something from Daily Service Charge)

Hello, Let me bring this down to reality.

I don't ask the butler to do anything special besides bringing me "treats" in the afternoon. A one week cruise he gets a tip of about $75. The concierge might book a restaurant reservation and he will eventually wisk me off the ship at weeks end. He (or she) gets about $40. The cabin steward will get an extra $40 unless there was a problem.

I think I'm pretty generous!

For those recommending $10 to $15 pp per day....what is your usual dining ensuite?

Breakfast on port days. On a Bermuda cruise earlier this year, we did not have any meals in the room, but our tip to the butler was the same.

Edited by BirdTravels

Thank you all for the info... as a lover of sandals butler suites, I know tip discussions can get...contentious...but I appreciate everyone’s input.

There are usually 4 of us in a suite. All adults in either the 2BR suite or DOS. We order breakfast every morning and use the concierge for dining reservations we didn’t do online. That’s about it. We will give a flat amount, assuming the service is good. Butler 250-300, concierge and room steward 100 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't ask the butler to do anything special besides bringing me "treats" in the afternoon. A one week cruise he gets a tip of about $75. The concierge might book a restaurant reservation and he will eventually wisk me off the ship at weeks end. He (or she) gets about $40. The cabin steward will get an extra $40 unless there was a problem.

I agree. We don't make any special requests either and I think $20 a day for dropping off a plate of afternoon snacks is a bit high when the butler spends only a couple of minutes in the room each day.

LMAO reading this thread only because after YEARS I am still confused :) I have come to my own conclusion it really comes down to what you are asking for and you feel comfortable with. But I am sure with my next cruise I will be trolling these sites again to make sure I am doing right. This is what I have done...my first Haven cruise was with my mother who was very ill. Gian was the Butler and he took extraordinary care of her as did the steward Geng. My mom being independent tipped her own way and I added on an extra $100 for Gian and I sorry cant remember Geng but he was also tipped extra......Concierge was nice but we only used embark/disembark and I believe $50. My issue was the night butler who we had used.......did he get tipped? we were naive didnt know. Second Haven....mom had passed. I tipped the butler Mark....he was great and so did my roommate.....so at end of cruise gave him around $100 plus roomie had given...I also had tipped night butler when he delivered. At least I know he was compensated. Again Concierge tipped around $50 but we didnt really use him. Good luck and tip what you feel comfortable with.......I am sure there will some who will view you wrong but go with what you feel right.

Been in the Haven four times. The first time I read every thread I could about tipping as I did not want to appear cheap. I tip now based on how much I actually use the butler and concierge and see them. Three of the cruises I only saw the butler a couple of times, so no huge tip. One time the butler was there almost every time we opened the door of our suite, so a big tip. One time we tipped the room steward the most because he would bend over backwards to get us anything we asked for. I feel the tip should be based on how much you use the butler and concierge and how much they improved your vacation, not how much every one else paid.

(y)

Been in the Haven four times. The first time I read every thread I could about tipping as I did not want to appear cheap. I tip now based on how much I actually use the butler and concierge and see them. Three of the cruises I only saw the butler a couple of times, so no huge tip. One time the butler was there almost every time we opened the door of our suite, so a big tip. One time we tipped the room steward the most because he would bend over backwards to get us anything we asked for. I feel the tip should be based on how much you use the butler and concierge and how much they improved your vacation, not how much every one else paid.

(y)(y)

On one of our cruises we nicknamed our room steward (in a kind way)" the man who lives in the hallway". He literally was there all the time and was so helpful and kind to us that he got a much bigger tip than the butler who seemed to be preoccupied with a very high maintenance guest who I saw badgered him for more and more service. I do not blame the butler at all and we gave him a nice tip because he did do the daily stocking the fridge and dropping off snacks thing it was just that he was not available for other things and the room steward helped us. (calling maintenance for a few issues for example). I don't think that the guests who try to monopolize the butler realize that it can probably impact the other guests.

We are closer to this range too. $70-100 for the butler, $30-50 for the concierge, and around $40 for the cabin steward. Depends on how much we use each one and how many people are in our room (so a little less when it's just me and my mom, a little more when it's me and my husband and small child).

Recently we gave the Butler 10$ per person per day. He did a delivery from Asiana twice for us. Room steward got an extra $ 50. concierge got nothing as she annoyed us when we were erroneously delivered transfer tickets in our name. Being honest I asked about them and she said it’s not ours and we won’t be charged. then why was the tags in our name? Since she did little, the tip was lost there. decent thing would have been to comp them since we already had the tix. we easily took the cab to the airport after they said there would no taxis in San Juan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is what happened to us - it was out first NCL and first in a suite and I had read a lot about this particular topic myself. We hardly ever saw our Butler - the only thing I had asked from the concierge was Earl Grey tea and when I entered the room I had some. When he introduced himself, he didn't spend any time except to give his card - nothing about phone, movies, coffee machine etc which I found about from friends who were traveling with us in other suites. When the Earl Grey tea ran out, I requested more and he told me that it was a one time thing and the ship was out of Earl Grey tea. I asked the concierge and he found some. We had breakfast brought in one morning - I had to ask for menu since I didn't have one only to be told it was in the room and that I could just write it in. Our concierge arranged for priority embarkation at every port and changed a reservation for us so I tipped him $100. I was unable to locate our butler, as a matter of fact when I called him to tip he wished me safe travels but that he was unable to come to our cabin at that time. So he didn't get anything - I would not have given him more than that but I tried to give him something. So I have come to the conclusion that it will be different on each trip.