Specialty dinning

txd

Similar to Easyboy's experience, I have never had a problem getting a reservation by, either, calling the DINE line, or visiting the room on embarkation day.

However, as Paul indicates, if I absolutely wanted to be sure that I could get a reservation on a specific evening, I would make the reservation on-line through the cruise personalizer. That is exactly what I did to schedule the Ultimate Balcony Dinner to celebrate our 40th anniversary.

Congratulations, and have a great cruise.

(y)

Looking for the specialty dinning recommendations on Grand Princess to celebrate wedding anniversary. When is better to reserve: on website or after boarding the ship?

Thanks

If you want a specific time and date, online is probably safer but you have to pay for it at the time. Waiting until you board and going immediately to the venue or call the Dine line and make reservations is easy and there usually is a lot of choices. The ability to reserve online is fairly new.

We booked ours online. I prefer to have as many details as possible handled ahead of time, when I'm enjoying the planning process. Once aboard, I want to just start enjoying the actual vacation, not continue down a checklist of things that need to be done. If you want to use OBC to pay for it, that would be, for me, the only reason to wait and reserve onboard.

Happy Anniversary!!

We were given a dinner for two to a specialty restaurant for our anniversary on the Royal last week. We chose the Crown Grill and rib eye steaks. This was a big mistake as the steaks were not good (tough and so, so greasy), the room was too hot, and the server continually acted like he was mad at me for not finishing my awful steak which made me very uncomfortable. We were also seated right next to another couple and even though they were quite nice, it still was hardly the "romantic" dinner we were anticipating. I did appreciate getting the meals for free, but tend to think we would have enjoyed the dining room better. Also, the desserts were no better than those offered in the dining room.

We were given a dinner for two to a specialty restaurant for our anniversary on the Royal last week. We chose the Crown Grill and rib eye steaks. This was a big mistake as the steaks were not good (tough and so, so greasy), the room was too hot, and the server continually acted like he was mad at me for not finishing my awful steak which made me very uncomfortable. We were also seated right next to another couple and even though they were quite nice, it still was hardly the "romantic" dinner we were anticipating. I did appreciate getting the meals for free, but tend to think we would have enjoyed the dining room better. Also, the desserts were no better than those offered in the dining room.

Thanks for the review.

So, in your opinion, rhe Crown Frill is not worth the $29 per person up charge.

Looking for the specialty dinning recommendations on Grand Princess to celebrate wedding anniversary. When is better to reserve: on website or after boarding the ship?

Thanks

You should have NO Problem waiting to book on board, unless you want the first night, then book in advance.

Thanks

Hi, txd: I can't tell you for sure which is better, but I can tell you what I did and why.

I booked in advance, mostly to ensure that we could get the right date. We are also having an anniversary on the Grand. When I went to reserve a spot and found that we could get a decent time, I snagged it. There was a note that said more times could be available after we boarded the ship, but at least we have our actual anniversary booked at a decent time.

I went for Crown Grill for two reasons. 1. We went there once and had a great meal. 2. The new Sabatini's menu has a bunch of stuff that may be authentic Italian but doesn't sound like our thing. I guess we're a little pedestrian in our Italian tastes.

Another factor for me in booking online was that our anniversary falls on what I think will be a formal night. Sometimes formal nights get more crowded at the specialty restuarants because people know they can eat there without adhering to the "dress code" for the dining room. If you think your anniversary may fall on a formal night, that might make pre-booking that much more attractive.

Jim

A year ago, we eat at the Crown Grill every night for 10 nights... we tried many items on the menu.. my favorite items are the Chilian Sea Bass, Lamb Chops, Veal Chops, Filet Mignon, they also have a shrimp main which is excellent. have not tried other steaks. With so much food, we usually skip dessert... or have ice cream.

A year ago, we eat at the Crown Grill every night for 10 nights... we tried many items on the menu.. my favorite items are the Chilian Sea Bass, Lamb Chops, Veal Chops, Filet Mignon, they also have a shrimp main which is excellent. have not tried other steaks. With so much food, we usually skip dessert... or have ice cream.

Thanks for the report.

Did you pre book for all 10 nights?

I reckon you enjoy good food. ;)

So, how much weight did you gain?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

If you have a balcony, check out the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. Only a little more $ and much more personalized and romantic.

my waiter for the UBD told me the same filet is in the crown grill. if true then ill be at the crown grill :)

the UBD filet was best i ever had. and while he UBD is really a 200 dollar value (breakdown in my other thread), it wont be on the list this trip unfortunately.

my waiter for the UBD told me the same filet is in the crown grill. if true then ill be at the crown grill :)

the UBD filet was best i ever had. and while he UBD is really a 200 dollar value (breakdown in my other thread), it wont be on the list this trip unfortunately.

Interesting observation.

$29 per person for filet at the Crown Grill vs. UBD $200 for the same filet?:eek: Why do the UBD if it’s the same cuisine as the Crown Grill?:o

Just curious, to what degree of doneness do you have your filet? Is the filet aged, prime beef?

Enjoy your cruise.

Interesting observation.

$29 per person for filet at the Crown Grill vs. UBD $200 for the same filet?:eek: Why do the UBD if it’s the same cuisine as the Crown Grill?:o

Just curious, to what degree of doneness do you have your filet? Is the filet aged, prime beef?

Enjoy your cruise.

on what ship is UBD 200 bucks?

mine was 100

without looking at my list, from what i recall the UBD includes flowers,. booze drink, dessert, apps, more apps. 2nd type of dessert, picture and total room privacy. im' probably forgetting something. so for 42 bucks more than the grill you can get all that. since i've not been in the grill i cannot say what you get for that money but im positive not all that i listed

i have no clue about the source of the filet and i like a med well