Do you pay for the tips when you make your initial booking?

cocomango

I pay them ahead of time so I can start and end the cruise with a zero balance should I choose. Gratuities are nothing more than a service charge just like taxes and port fees. The room stewards and waiters don’t actually get paid them until we leave the ship so it’s not like they are getting any money sooner.

I pay with discounted gift cards so my money is already gone out of my account. Just get them over and done with. And that way if they happen to go up, I’m locked in at the lower price.

We've been on 5 Carnival cruises. The past 2 times we've booked, once through AAA and once while in the ship, we were asked if we wanted to prepay the tips when we made our initial booking.

Why would I want to pay for tips one year before I actually get the service?

It is added to you bill, and depending on when you make you final payment is when you pay it. So, if you pay for it one year out, than yes, you would pay for it.

Do people really do this?

All the time. Tips are part of the cruise, and eventually you pay it. There are certain things in life, I don't buy on credit. One is anything "fun". If I can't pay for it, I don't go. So tips are part of the package. I have the money, so I pay it. The other thing is, how often have you been on a cruise, or gone to a restaurant, and withheld tips? Only once in my entire life, did I not leave a tip for a waitress in a restaurant, and only after I had a conversation with the manager. I won't go into details, but it was really bad.

I prepay the gratuities and then give extra depending on the situation. I also prepay for the social package and bottomless bubbles as well as purchased cruise cash. Like knowing that all expenses, other than at the ports, are paid before before leaving on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I prepay. but bring along a little extra cash in case I want to further reward excellent service. Usually to a waiter who was especially attentive or my room steward if he/she went beyond the usual service. I have tipped bar tenders who remember my name and my drink when I walk up to a bar.

I prepay. but bring along a little extra cash in case I want to further reward excellent service. Usually to a waiter who was especially attentive or my room steward if he/she went beyond the usual service. I have tipped bar tenders who remember my name and my drink when I walk up to a bar.

We do the same. We typically give some extra $$$ to our cabin steward and head/assistant waiters. The past couple of cruises, I bring along singles or get them from GS to tip bartenders I like and remember me as well.

Like most others, we know it's all a part of the cruising cost. We like to prepay it and have it out of the way. Whether I prepay it or pay it at the end, it's going to be paid. May as well get it over with. That way the only bill we have on the ship is what we've spent on the ship.

New cruiser here. I booked the cruise through a travel agent and the cruise and trip insurance will be paid off next month. Can I arrange to prepay tips through Carnival after I pay the final balance to the travel agent? Or should I just contact the travel agent to prepay the tips?

Thanks for the guidance.

Out of your 5 cruises, have you been happy with the service you've received? Were there any serious problems/issues that made you NOT leave a tip on those previous cruises? I am surprised by your question(s). You are a fairly experienced cruiser and know what to expect and how hard EVERYONE on the ship works for the passengers. And, of course, even thinking of mentioning tips on CC, is an open door for tons of opinions.

OP responding here.

Out of your 5 cruises, have you been happy with the service you've received?

Mostly, yes, some were definitely better than others.

Were there any serious problems/issues that made you NOT leave a tip on those previous cruises?

I think no matter how bad the service, we would tip the required and give extra anyway. We always bring an envelope with cash. Of the extras, we have "minimum" tips and we have "went above and beyond" tips.

I am surprised by your question(s). You are a fairly experienced cruiser and know what to expect and how hard EVERYONE on the ship works for the passengers.

Yes, i know what to expect, however, tipping ahead of time is what I can't deconflict. You don't tip in a restaurant before you get your service even though you already know you will be adding at least 20% on top of that bill. And yes, it is part of the cruise expense, which I do account for when we check out, not when I'm paying for a vacation one year ahead of time.

And, of course, even thinking of mentioning tips on CC, is an open door for tons of opinions.

Right, and don't get me wrong, I was doing a pulse check.

We have vacationed in Beaches/Sandals resorts a few times and I do like it that the tips are included in the price. When you are on vacation, I don't have folks with their hand out waiting for a tip.. and I must say that of all the different experiences that we've ever had- on cruises, on land, all-inclusives or not, Beaches/Sandals by far had the best service.

We've been in resorts where it was "expected" to tip first prior to getting good service. Not a fan of that at all!

I totally understand that the employees work very hard. I come from a country where a lot of these employees are from so I do take the time to talk to them in our native language, ask about their families and really appreciate what sacrifices they have to make being away for 7+ months at a time. I myself have had a few years of experience being a server and counting my tips at the end of the day. I don't feel irresponsible at all asking this question. Apparently, my thinking is in the minority and that's totally fine because what we are doing will continue to work for us!

Depends on the situation. Usually I just pay the deposit when I book. Sometimes I'll have OBC that will cover some or all of the grats. Sometimes I'll acquire gift cards between now and then that will cover some or all of the grats. For the Vista cruise I just booked I used my mastercard fun points to book and had enough to cover grats as well so I prepaid.

I do every time I book to get them out of the way. I prepay everything prior, and sometimes put OBC on my account. Only had $75 bill on my account when I left the ship last cruise. We went into the cruise with the beverage package, one specialty paid for, all excursions paid for, all gratuities paid for, and some OBC for miscellaneous purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've been on 5 Carnival cruises. The past 2 times we've booked, once through AAA and once while in the ship, we were asked if we wanted to prepay the tips when we made our initial booking.

Why would I want to pay for tips one year before I actually get the service?

Do people really do this?

Other than Carnival having the money ahead of time, is there any difference between when you book, at final payment or on board?

For me, 1 less thing to think about.

Other than Carnival having the money ahead of time, is there any difference between when you book, at final payment or on board?

For me, 1 less thing to think about.

No it’s the same price except if you lock in ahead of time and it goes up you will get to keep the lower rate unless you adjust your booking some way. Then you will be charged the new, higher rate.

No it’s the same price except if you lock in ahead of time and it goes up you will get to keep the lower rate unless you adjust your booking some way. Then you will be charged the new, higher rate.

Exactly, that is why I just take care of it right away.

We pay ours along with final payment. I like the fact that the amount is locked in, in the event they should increase the tip amount. I also prefer my onboard account to be only what I have spent on the ship for souvenirs, pictures & drinks. It's not really a financial issue, as we have already budgeted for what we think we will be spending. I just like it better when I'm looking at my account balance and I'm looking only at expenditures. I think of the gratuities as just part of the fare.

So there are two schools of thought...those that pre-pay and want to cruise without worry of being dinged once onboard and those who choose to pay once onboard because well.....it makes more sense. And we'll not even discuss the third option of those who remove pre-paid gratuities.

So there are two schools of thought...those that pre-pay and want to cruise without worry of being dinged once onboard and those who choose to pay once onboard because well.....it makes more sense. And we'll not even discuss the third option of those who remove pre-paid gratuities.

Your opinion about when paying makes more sense. Each cruiser has the right to pay gratuities when they want and for what ever reason they have. Just because your opinion differs does not mean it is better or the right one.