Cuba: Are you on the fence?

Cuba: Will you go?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Cuba: Will you go?

• We've visited already.
    • I’m interested, just haven’t committed
    • Not sure. On a Caribbean cruise I just want to relax
    • Not on my immediate list. I don’t know what to expect, beyond old cars, cigars and rum
    • There are family/political reasons for not going there
    • Something else (please elaborate).

I have 0 interest in going to Cuba. Why would I want to pay $75 for a visa to visit slums and old cars? There are too many other 'beautiful" islands in the Caribbean where you don't even need a passport to visit by cruise ship!

Your loss ! We went and loved it ! It’s one of the few islands that really welcomes you !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You know that’s not fare to the Cuban people no matter if their political views are different than ours . My wife and I went to Cuba on a Viking cruise and everything was wonderful. They don’t tie up in Havana but in Cienfuegos and tendered in. Tendering in was no problem and we had peace and quite once we returned to the ship. The only issue is the Cuban roads - a bit uneven and the buses swayed a bit . We had lunch and a ride in a vintage Ford Convertible. Just what I wanted ! . We then went to Earnest Hemingway’s home and that was really something you shouldn’t miss . I’m glad we didn’t do the overnight in Havana . We got the flavor of Havana without repacking . Please go- it’s like stepping back 40 years. 3464244ecb415255690eb081428a580c.jpg450d410eaeff4903b734821c52cc84d9.jpg1fd1a68c2c1a7acc6d560af12f9c844d.jpg98c6304ef2ff77271369153b26a38c31.jpg

After two weeks in an all inclusive hotel. I think you can get to know the staff fairly well.. Especially if you have the same staff every night and can talk to them in their language.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We been to Cuba on a land trip (we have no restrictions). We plan to return again but feel a land trip is the best way to see the country.

For a land vacation, Cuba would at the top of our list for a land vacation in the Caribbean. It is a very different, beautiful island. The people are extremely friendly. Havana is so interesting, especially walking at night. Lots of B&B and local, private guide opportunities. It is different, I think this is why it appeals to us so much. We are fortunate, it is one of the prime winter vacation AI spots for Canadians so there are many competitive offerings. Lots of Europeans as well.

I truly want to visit Cuba, but I'm not sure a cruise is the way to do it. I also wish there was more certainty regarding what is allowed (now and in the near future) -- beyond tired of this "yes you can visit/no you can't visit" push and pull. :mad:

I don't want to wait too long -- my goal is to get there before the charm of Cuba is overtaken by Diamonds International and Margaritaville.

+1.

My brother has been there twice separated by about 4 years and I have been there once - all of them on 2+ week land tours. According to my brother, it is already too late. I visited before Obama made it easier to visit.

Going on a cruise is not the way to experience the real Cuba although I admit that a 2 week visit also isn't.

DON

As a Brit its certainly on the list and always has been. My family have ben visiting there for a few years now.

In fact when we sailed past it in 2014 I wished we were heading there instead of Cayman. Only a few years later did it start to to become a reality!

Since I haven't done a long,sole Caribbean cruise yet (just a bit of it) I will try and find one that stops in Cuba...but Belize and Honduras are also on my list and easier to get to by ship.

BTDT, got the t shirt. And look forward to visiting Cuba again. But I have zero interest on doing it as a brief cruise stop.Definitely want to get back before it's ruined by the eventual influx of American chains. And thanks to the current US administration it looks like that period has now been extended. Since even 5 star resorts are inexpensive compared to a lot of other Caribbean islands (and cruises) we'll likely return there next winter instead of a same ol' same ol' cruise.

I really want to go, but with the current political climate in the US, I am not at all confident that it is a wise thing to do, so until such time as restrictions are further relaxed, I will probably not be going.

Did a People to People trip last year with Gate One and while I am glad that I did it then, I have no desire to go back again. Our days were from early morning (5:30-6 a.m. starts) and went until 11 p.m. or later. I knew it would be intense but was surprised at the lack of any down time, all because we had to have our official stuff taken care of to satisfy the requirements. Never even got to see a beach because that was not allowed.

Had to laugh at some of the comments by those who have obviously not been to Cuba..."slums", "Walmart island", "restrictions."

I just got back last month from a cruise to Cuba - it was fantastic!! We docked in all the ports and spent 2 days/1 overnight in Havana, 1 day in Cienfuegos and 1 day in Santiago de Cuba. There were no police or monitors roaming around and no one cared where you went or what you did. Only time I saw any police or military was at the military cemetery where Fidel Castro and Jose Marti are buried. They just stood around and didn't bother us at all.

It's true that many of the buildings are crumbling, but they're not slums - just old buildings that the government hasn't kept fixed up. The people dress very modern and clean - they look like anyone in a civilized society, not like a third world country. They're all on their cell phones, have the Internet and many are on Facebook! They're a happy people and enjoy meeting Americans. We sat in a park in Havana (with no other tourists around) watching people out walking their dogs, children kicking soccer balls around and attended a church service. We watched a 15 year old girl having her quinceanera photos taken in several beautiful outfits, had our hair trimmed at a local beauty salon with other customers, went to a dolphin show, had lunch at a small paladar, bought cigars & rum at a local shop, rode in 3 beautiful classic 1950's cars, shopped in a drug store, visited a small pharmacy museum, and had a Cuban coffee on a rooftop terrace.

The Cubans we met while we wandered around were friendly, kind and many knew English. We asked questions about their lives, culture and government and they asked us many too.

Although I wouldn't want to live in their form of government, they said they were happy with it. They said they like not having to pay for education through college, medical care, food, housing, cheap electric and they get a small amount of spending money (about $30/mo/pp). And they can now have their own small businesses or second jobs to make more money. Their only complaint to us was that they would like to be able to leave Cuba to travel. My advice is to visit there yourself before making assumptions. I certainly hope to return for another visit someday.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Had to laugh at some of the comments by those who have obviously not been to Cuba..."slums", "Walmart island", "restrictions."

I just got back last month from a cruise to Cuba - it was fantastic!! We docked in all the ports and spent 2 days/1 overnight in Havana, 1 day in Cienfuegos and 1 day in Santiago de Cuba. There were no police or monitors roaming around and no one cared where you went or what you did. Only time I saw any police or military was at the military cemetery where Fidel Castro and Jose Marti are buried. They just stood around and didn't bother us at all.

It's true that many of the buildings are crumbling, but they're not slums - just old buildings that the government hasn't kept fixed up. The people dress very modern and clean - they look like anyone in a civilized society, not like a third world country. They're all on their cell phones, have the Internet and many are on Facebook! They're a happy people and enjoy meeting Americans. We sat in a park in Havana (with no other tourists around) watching people out walking their dogs, children kicking soccer balls around and attended a church service. We watched a 15 year old girl having her quinceanera photos taken in several beautiful outfits, had our hair trimmed at a local beauty salon with other customers, went to a dolphin show, had lunch at a small paladar, bought cigars & rum at a local shop, rode in 3 beautiful classic 1950's cars, shopped in a drug store, visited a small pharmacy museum, and had a Cuban coffee on a rooftop terrace.

The Cubans we met while we wandered around were friendly, kind and many knew English. We asked questions about their lives, culture and government and they asked us many too.

Although I wouldn't want to live in their form of government, they said they were happy with it. They said they like not having to pay for education through college, medical care, food, housing, cheap electric and they get a small amount of spending money (about $30/mo/pp). And they can now have their own small businesses or second jobs to make more money. Their only complaint to us was that they would like to be able to leave Cuba to travel. My advice is to visit there yourself before making assumptions. I certainly hope to return for another visit someday.

Thank You !

We absolutely want to go and almost booked. My only hesitation right now is what happens if legally things change for Americans' ability to go. I would hate to book a cruise to Cuba and then shortly before going have it changed to The Bahamas because laws changed.

I was very close to booking a cruise to cuba but stopped just short of making gthe booking. I wanggted to go but have loss my enthusiaasm and likely will wait a while until we read lots of 'reports ' or may waitt a long time. Back burner for me.

Twickenham, have never been good with numbers :) -- thanks for the clarification!

I just got back from a trip last month and thought that Cuba is very much in the Caribbean but not of it. Maybe that's the American in me, though....

Carolyn

I think you mean half a century - half a decade is 5 years...;)

As a Canadian, I of course have had no restrictions on visiting Cuba - indeed, my aunt & uncle go nearly every year. I do find the "I want to go before mass tourism ruins the place" comments quite amusing - Cuba is pretty much on par in popularity with Mexico and the Dominican Republic for all-inclusive package holidays from my neck of the woods. Mass tourism has long since arrived - it's just that Americans haven't been able to take part.

I'm sure it's quite beautiful, and would have no problems visiting - it's just that the whole AI thing really isn't my scene, and I've been doing more land trips in Europe lately rather than cruising (although looking to cruise again next year hopefully).

We may visit Cuba, but it sure would not be on a cruise. Why? The cruise line's are caught up in the US Government restrictions and the latest word (which seems to change every day) is that a cruise with a US Passport would only be able to go off the ship on an excursion or authorized tour. That is simply not our style as we prefer to see places on our own. This is still possible (for Americans) if they fly into Cuba via either Mexico and Canada....which would be more our style.

Hank

I hear what you're saying, Bookish Angel, re wanting a more immersive trip. Our cruise pretty much hit the high points but I do tend to think that a cruise, for that first visit to Cuba, was a great way to get a sampler of it. We loved it and are definitely looking to go back. I'd still like to cruise there again but might choose a more destination immersive itinerary.

Carolyn

We definitely want to go but would prefer a much more immersive trip than a cruise offers.

I was born and raised in the Tampa, Florida area and grew up with many Cuban people. They were hardworking, friendly, unpretentious, smart, and optimistic despite having lived under a political system they did not choose. Also, Cuban food is among the best I have eaten!

As a Canadian, we did an AI there in 2011 and absolutely loved it. We'd like to go back and spend more time on our own and less on the resort. We're definitely interested in a cruise that stops there. Ideally, I'd like one that is exclusively a Cuban cruise of at least 7 days. I don't know how many actual ports they have that would accommodate a large cruise ship, but it would be great to go around the island and stop and several different places. So far I've only see cruises that stop in Havana, and one that stopped in Havana and I think Santiago (or something like that). We've ported in at least 6 Caribbean island, and Cuba is uniquely different than any of them. Definitely worth going.

I might add that I'm also an American born and raised in the U.S., where I was fed all kinds of prejudice against Cuba. Visiting there and hearing their side of history was eye-opening. Whatever you think you know about Cuba probably isn't as true as you think it is.