Angled balcony

dam64

Are you sure about this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been on the angled balconies up in Aqua. When looking forward, I saw some nights that hurt my eyes. I could not believe people would be on the balcony au naturel. Hurt my eyes:eek:

I'm glad that you enjoy the angled balconies, everyone doesn't. Some of us have indicated the issues that we have with the angled balconies, just because these issues don't bother you doesn't make the issues any less valid. After illustrating these concerns, I think the OP is informed and can make his/her own decision.

Just expressing an alternative viewpoint from personal experience. I though that was the idea of a discussion board. Enjoy your day.

I guess my sensibility isn't terribly delicate because I book only hump cabins...

We had a rear-facing slant balcony on the Eclipse last spring (1044). Never took advantage really. But we did like the large space! After Galapagos this spring, our next cruises will be two 28-29 day b2b's on the Eclipse, the first, which includes a 16 dayTransAtlantic, will be in a rear-facing hump cabin. Next cruises will be in the C2 forward-facing slant balcony aft, last one on the side before getting into aft C1 and Suite territory. I plan to be discreet, knowing how visible I might be to others. And if I see other's indiscretions on their balconies, I will record them in full detail and report them here. Discreetly.

Stan

Hi new to Celebrity. We just booked our first Celebrity cruise and we booked room A1 9207 balcony room on the Reflection. Is this a bigger balcony than normal because of the angle? Also its seems to be on a hump. Pros cons?Anyone stay in one of these rooms? Info would be much appreciated, thanks.

We just did a hump on the Silhouette and loved it! The location near the elevators and extra space on the balcony was great! And didn't cost us any extra as we booked a C3 and upgraded for free.

I have been on the angled balconies up in Aqua. When looking forward, I saw some nights that hurt my eyes. I could not believe people would be on the balcony au naturel. Hurt my eyes:eek:

And here I was hoping for a better story [emoji16]

I’ve seen full on physicality. It is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I get the extra size, but I'm not sure that I would like them. The forward facing Angled balconies look like they would get a lot of wind when the ship is motion and it looks like you look into many of the non-hump balconies. I would fell awkward standing on the edge of the balcony with a view into many other balconies.

The wind is created when the ship is sailing into the wind - when the wind is blowing in the same direction of travel, there is less wind - sometimes no wind at all depending on wind speed. This is the same principle used to launch aircraft from aircraft carriers.

• 2 years later...
On 1/13/2018 at 4:34 PM, cjmayes51 said:

I’ve had rooms 9207, 9209 & we are in 9211 on the Reflection later this year. the rooms are the same size, but the balcony’s are 30-50% larger on the angled hump, a little windier but nothing to be worried about. We have 2 Celebrity Cruises this year and have 9211 & 9207 booked. 4th time on deck 9, very close to everything, quiet and just 10-15 seconds to the elevations. You will love these rooms. Charlie

Thank you for the info. We’re booked on 9207 on a B2B. Love the extra space on the balcony. Thanks for your review. 

On 1/13/2018 at 4:26 PM, bigbeergut said:

I get the extra size, but I'm not sure that I would like them. The forward facing Angled balconies look like they would get a lot of wind when the ship is motion and it looks like you look into many of the non-hump balconies. I would fell awkward standing on the edge of the balcony with a view into many other balconies.

There can be less privacy, especially if you get a cabin right where the hump begins. This is generally only an issue when you are are near the railing of your veranda.  Because of the extra depth, you have more room overall that is private to relax in your deck chairs. I used to always book these but lately I've been booking regular verandahs that are closer to where I want to be on the ship. I don't really miss the slight increase in space, and I value privacy. As pointed out, wind can also be an issue as pointed out if your angle faces forward.

We absolutely love the hump balconies and will choose them any time they are available.  We did find the foreword facing ones did get more wind, which occasionally bothered us when at sea but not enough to change our choices.  We spend a lot of time on our balcony, so a bigger balcony means a lot to us.  Many times, you will get a lounge chair in addition to regular chairs so that is nice as well.  Love the central location - close to the elevators but never found noise or traffic from that area to be an issue. 

As to privacy, unless you are very particular about no one seeing you I don't think it's an issue.  Yes, if someone stands at the rail and looks over they might see some of your balcony, or vice versa.  To me that's a big so what.  If anyone really wants to see their neighbors on any balcony all they have to do is lean over - there is no real privacy there anyway.  Besides, in our experience a good percentage of people spend little time on their balconies to begin with, and even less time hanging out at the railing looking around.  If it bothers someone, fine that's their choice.  But for us, it is really no big deal at all.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2018 at 6:43 PM, tick tock to the dock said:

People cruise with tape measures? Good to know.

People cruise with everything but the kitchen sink. We like our home comforts. 

I just checked the deck plans and the forward side of the angle may have a bit of breeze. Remember however many knots the ship is travelling that's the wind speed plus whatever wind there actually is.

We are booked in 9292 and chose it because it is the first angled veranda aft of the "Hump" and as such we should be in the lee, unless there is a substantial tail wind. We chose this cabin because of the larger balcony.

We have had one of the rear facing ones On our last two Celebrity cruises, loved the first one but had to move from the second one four nights in because of a banging noise every few minutes when the ship was moving at night. I did notice a locked door next to our cabin and thought it might be a trolley that was not secured. Had a member of night staff up early one morning and he said there was defiantly a problem that was not the normal noise you get when the ship is moving but was not sure what it was. We were probably just unlucky because the extra space is great, we did not find privacy an issue.

IMG_4252.thumb.jpeg.292dc461350e505a86febcd957e97e79.jpegExample of C2 on deck 6 facing aft. These cains are a bit cheaper than the A1s... there are two of these on either side facing aft on Deck 6... as you can see.. you see a bit of the lifeboat davit. We usually get an A1 facing forward. If you stand at the rail you can see more of other peoples verandas but you are not looking into cabins... and you have to stand at the rail. I did not notice a difference in wind between that C2 facing aft and the A1 facing forward. Note that each strip of 'wood' flooring is about 5" wide... so you can get an idea on how deep it is... now they do vary a bit in size, across the A1 and the few C2 cabins on the hump... near aft elevator.