Tipping the crew with items other than cash...

unisphere-roy

I work in a service business, and cash tips are always appreciated. Those who know me well enough may give me a few boxes of ammunition or local craft beer as a thank you, but those that don’t, generally give cash. I personally don’t want a refrigerator magnet, snow globe, freeze dried kumquat, or that half used jar of protein powder. Cash tends to be best as the recipient can use it for what THEY feel is best, not what someone else decides is best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lipstick and eyeshadow???

REALLY??

And what color/shade do they prefer? Do you bring a selection and let them pick?

Would YOU wear some random color/shade that someone handed you????

The answer is yes, yes, yes....you would be surprised. Small gifts like this are a hit, on airplane, in hotels. etc., we have done this for years.

I can see someone subsisting in a poverty stricken 3rd world country might have some appreciation for these items (except the ties...what an odd thing). But if I was working full time on a ship, (or at a land resort) and someone gave me a pen or a lipstick, I'd be truly insulted. That reeks of being a pity gift. Show them the same respect you would want shown to yourself. Give them cash, to spend as they see fit.

We give them cash too... I have never been insulted by any gift someone gave me. I do not have pity for anyone... we enjoy people.

Maybe bring them chocolate cake from the MDR. :D

Or a whole birthday cake!!! We had someone send us one for my SO's birthday, which was sailaway day. We don't eat cake, asked the room Steward if he would be insulted if we offered to him. Nope, he didn't light up, but later in the week thanked us said they enjoyed the cake.

Cash - Cash - Cash!!!

I know you are kidding but I have to ask, what is it with $2 bills in the US.

I am now living in the US and I wish you had them/ used them.

I always end up with a pile of $1 in my wallet.

when I pay for something under $1 with a 5 it would be much easier to get 2 x $2 instead of 4 x $1.

Lois

There is a $2 bill, but they are not normally used. And you may actually find retailers who will not accept them, as they do not realize they are a currently printed, legal bill. Which is even worse outside the US.

Which is why I might give one to someone out side the US, but as a souvenir, but not as a tip, as they may not be able to spend them.

I wish the US would get rid of the $1 bill and go to coins like most of the rest of the world. We keep trying it, but IMO, we do it wrong. Issue coins, reduce printing of bills over a period, until you print no more bills and only coins are available. But with coins you REALLY need a 2 unit coin.

That and eliminate the penny. Finland has done that. If you pay in cash, it is rounded to the nearest 5 cents. If you charge, they do the exact price.

I work in a service business, and cash tips are always appreciated. Those who know me well enough may give me a few boxes of ammunition or local craft beer as a thank you, but those that don’t, generally give cash. I personally don’t want a refrigerator magnet, snow globe, freeze dried kumquat, or that half used jar of protein powder. Cash tends to be best as the recipient can use it for what THEY feel is best, not what someone else decides is best.

Will work for AMMO. :D

Hank-

You believe "silly chocolate" gets shared among the staff and cash doesn't? really!? The cruise lines require the staff to report and pool all cash.

and why do you feel the need to use such a derogatory description of someone else's idea of a gift. not very nice.

Please give me some See's candies. I would NEVER give them away nor throw them away. And I would certainly appreciate such a wonderful gift!

I suspect the naysayers have never eaten a See's chocolate.

There is a $2 bill, but they are not normally used. And you may actually find retailers who will not accept them, as they do not realize they are a currently printed, legal bill. Which is even worse outside the US. This is what I don't understand. Why aren't they normally used? I've been in the US 3 1/2 years and have never seen one.

Which is why I might give one to someone out side the US, but as a souvenir, but not as a tip, as they may not be able to spend them.

I wish the US would get rid of the $1 bill and go to coins like most of the rest of the world. We keep trying it, but IMO, we do it wrong. Issue coins, reduce printing of bills over a period, until you print no more bills and only coins are available. But with coins you REALLY need a 2 unit coin. When Canada switched to the coin, they stopped printing the $1 bill and as old ones were returned to the banks, they were taken out of circulation. Not sure why the US can't do that.

That and eliminate the penny. Finland has done that. If you pay in cash, it is rounded to the nearest 5 cents. If you charge, they do the exact price.Canada has also done this

Don't even get me started on the metric system. Miles don't make sense.

Don't even get me started on the metric system. Miles don't make sense.

Sure they make sense - the old measures made great sense as they were based upon the people who used them. Miles came from the Latin for a thousand. - the distance a legionnaire travelled with a thousand "paces" (right and left feet). A foot was the length of a king's foot. Fahrenheit scale was based upon the minimum (0) and the maximum (100) people might to EXPECT to experience in nature - they knew water froze at a temp (32) above the lowest, and boiled at a temp (212) above the highest, expected.

Of course metric is easier to work with and figure out - but aside from that, how much more "sense" is there in the length of a kilometer than that of a mile?

I agree - the reason metric was not adopted in the US is because our general population was too stupid/lazy to handle the conversion - sadly leaving us increasingly out of step with the rest of the world.

Please give me some See's candies. I would NEVER give them away nor throw them away. And I would certainly appreciate such a wonderful gift!

I suspect the naysayers have never eaten a See's chocolate.

I love See's candy, but if I had the choice between some cash and the candy, I'll take the cash everytime.

See s candy:),,, no big deal. Many ma jjor areas have wonderful candy. ;)

Few major North American . and European cities suff er from lack of good candy. We had fa bulous chocolat es in Madrid and certainly, Belgium. :)

I'm confused why anyone would bother schlepping chocolates to a cruise ship.... money for tips is so much easier to bring along. and don't have to worry ab out it melting:) in your suitcase if left on a hot Florida dock wating to be loaded onto the ship.

Edited by sail7seas

Sure they make sense - the old measures made great sense as they were based upon the people who used them. Miles came from the Latin for a thousand. - the distance a legionnaire travelled with a thousand "paces" (right and left feet). A foot was the length of a king's foot. Fahrenheit scale was based upon the minimum (0) and the maximum (100) people might to EXPECT to experience in nature - they knew water froze at a temp (32) above the lowest, and boiled at a temp (212) above the highest, expected.

How many y young' uns can add, subtgract, multiply in their heads today Very few...... If they don't have a calculator (their phones) they cannot make simple sm all change

Of course metric is easier to work with and figure out - but aside from that, how much more "sense" is there in the length of a kilometer than that of a mile?

How many young' uns can add, subtract, multiply in their heads today ? Very few...... If they don't have a calculator (their phones) they cannot make simple sm all change and someone thinks they are going to convert us to metric? Huh, good luc k.

I agree - the reason metric was not adopted in the US is because our general population was too stupid/lazy to handle the conversion - sadly leaving us increasingly out of step with the rest of the world.

Only other time we have ever giving a crew member anything other then cash was a Starbucks giftcard cause the day before he said he wanted to get a coffee from there but he was in able to get off. And since we wouldn’t be able to get the coffee onboard that was the next best lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But a mile is not a thousand feet. it s 5720 which just seems like a really random number.:confused:

A kilometer is a 1000 meters, a meter is a 100 centimeters or 1000 millimeters.... Base 10, makes sense :D

But a mile is not a thousand feet. it s 5720 which just seems like a really random number.:confused:

A kilometer is a 1000 meters, a meter is a 100 centimeters or 1000 millimeters.... Base 10, makes sense :D

I never said a mile was a thousand feet - I said it was a thousand legionnaire's paces - their "pace" involved what both feet, first the right then the left, covered.

Not only should you work on reading comprehension, you might learn about the system you don't like: a mile is 5,280 feet, not 5,720. And 5,280 was not "random" - when you knew how long the mile was and you knew the accepted length of the kng's foot, it was a simple calculation.

I never said a mile was a thousand feet - I said it was a thousand legionnaire's paces - their "pace" involved what both feet, first the right then the left, covered.

Not only should you work on reading comprehension, you might learn about the system you don't like: a mile is 5,280 feet, not 5,720. And 5,280 was not "random" - when you knew how long the mile was and you knew the accepted length of the kng's foot, it was a simple calculation.

Caution - the bridge is sounding the 'off topic' alarm :D

The statute mile is not an isolated unit - it is part of a unified system, beginning with the standard 'link' on a surveyors 'chain'.

The nautical mile is a useful unit for navigation on Earth, as it is defined as equal to the length of an arc for one minute of latitude [assuming the Earth is round].

Curiously enough, on Mars the Kilometer is also the length of a one minute of latitude arc [assuming Mars is round]

Wow! As the original poster, I feel honored to be post #100 to this thread. I never would have imagined the twists and turns this thread has taken - Pigs in chairs, Origami, $2 bills, metric measurements, Birthday cake, delicious chocolates, eye shadow, neckties, ammo, craft beer, 8x10 glossies, coasters, posts with a dose of snark and well meaning ones just trying to help me understand their point of view. If i missed mentioning something that was in your post, I'm sorry...it was unintentional. Cash is King (or Queen!) and I have always known that. I will not hand out candy or lipstick. I have met the nicest people on cruises...both guests and crew and my intention was to share the blessings I have in my life with others. Now, How do I get this thread LOCKED as there is absolutely no way anyone else could shed any new light on this subject!!!