Tipping the crew with items other than cash...

unisphere-roy

We do auto tip, extra tips and generally take small gifts when we travel, not just on cruise ships/ typical items candy, lipstick, eye shadow, ties, pens.

I can see someone subsisting in a poverty stricken 3rd world country might have some appreciation for these items (except the ties...what an odd thing). But if I was working full time on a ship, (or at a land resort) and someone gave me a pen or a lipstick, I'd be truly insulted. That reeks of being a pity gift. Show them the same respect you would want shown to yourself. Give them cash, to spend as they see fit.

Hank-

You believe "silly chocolate" gets shared among the staff and cash doesn't? really!? The cruise lines require the staff to report and pool all cash.

and why do you feel the need to use such a derogatory description of someone else's idea of a gift. not very nice.

Actually you are incorrect. If you remove your auto tip than any cash crew members receive must be pooled. If you are giving cash while leaving your auto tip in place then that crew member gets to keep their extra tip. As far as anything extra CASH is king.

Hank-

You believe "silly chocolate" gets shared among the staff and cash doesn't? really!? The cruise lines require the staff to report and pool all cash.

and why do you feel the need to use such a derogatory description of someone else's idea of a gift. not very nice.

You are being just a teeny bit naive. Cash, that is quietly pushed into somebodies palm...stays in their palm (its like what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas). And please do not confuse constructive criticism with something that is being derogatory. I am simply speaking the truth. As to chocolate, how do you know that a crew member is not allergic to chocolate or even likes chocolate? But there is no question that they love cash (which can help support their family).

And if you want to try an experiment, the next time you dine in a nice restaurant ask the waiter if he/she would prefer a box of good chocolates...or cash? or...if you are dining in Italy and they have "Coperta" on the bottom of the menu...ask if they will accept chocolates or a small gift in place off "coperta."

Hank

Of course cash is king, but..... One cruise I brought a few small packages of dried mango.

When we gave it to our cabin stewards one day in the middle of the cruise, they asked our permission to eat it right away while doing our cabin.

So, yes they do like to receive gifts as well.

Sometimes they suggest they will keep it to take home to their children.

Just show them a lot of respect, tip accordingly and be friendly. Nothing wrong with that.

We did pre paid gratuity plus gave our room steward $100 bill and a bottle of wine. She cried!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

She cried over the $100 bill...NOT the wine.

REALLY people (and we have discussed this sooooo much on CC) ....they don't want anything but cash.

A bottle of wine? Many ship employees come from Muslim countries where alcohol is prohibited. Not only that, but they eat Halal, which precludes them from eating a lot of what many posters are suggesting as gifts. And finally, no one knows what health issues an employee might have such as allergies.

So it looks like the concensus is cash is king and just tip extra with cash.

:mad: Drat, I just bought 12 dozen hockey pucks to give as cruise tips this year. Hey, it was a better idea than tipping with poutine. Man, that stuff gets nasty by day 7 in the suitcase. :eek:

If bringing a little something from home, starts a discussion about it, isn't such a bad thing....just know it is a novelty and most likely will be discarded before they return home. A gift should really have no strings attached. Once given, you no longer should have any interest of what the recipient does with it. But I will admit to writing my thank yous on a post card with a Mountie in scarlet uniform on the front - pretty Canadian, eh?

If one is thinking of practical gifts as well meaning and helpful, it reminds me of the stories I hear of the cleaning staff in Cuban resorts who receive 'stuff' by the suitcase-full and actually renting furniture lockers in order to house it all. It becomes a wonderful black market. Could be an urban myth, but sometimes generosity is better provided to agencies who know how to disperse - and even they will say cash is better.

In my 12 plus years on this site, this topic comes up at least once a month. And every single solitary time, the vast majority agree that cash is the answer, along with positive feedback, keep the candy for your grandkids. Of course they will say "thank you" for the trinket and smile politely. It is their job! What would you expect, they would throw it back in your face and scream at you? :rolleyes:

You are being just a teeny bit naive. Cash, that is quietly pushed into somebodies palm...stays in their palm (its like what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas). And please do not confuse constructive criticism with something that is being derogatory. I am simply speaking the truth. As to chocolate, how do you know that a crew member is not allergic to chocolate or even likes chocolate? But there is no question that they love cash (which can help support their family).

And if you want to try an experiment, the next time you dine in a nice restaurant ask the waiter if he/she would prefer a box of good chocolates...or cash? or...if you are dining in Italy and they have "Coperta" on the bottom of the menu...ask if they will accept chocolates or a small gift in place off "coperta."

Hank

Hank is correct and keep in mind not all cash is pooled, depends on the cruise line and where on the ship they work.

Cash is King and just as an FYI, many crew members consider it an insult to be tipped at the beginning of the cruise. Sort of the concept of well you don't think I'm going to do my job.

I expect all those boxes of candy, lipsticks, ties and pens land in the closest trash bin.

donate the lipstick, ey e shadow etc to a women's homeless shelter. i t would be most welcome there. IMO

I expect all those boxes of candy, lipsticks, ties and pens land in the closest trash bin.

donate the lipstick, ey e shadow etc to a women's homeless shelter. i t would be most welcome there. IMO

When I was a young man, I was a ski instructor at a major north Tahoe area. I can't begin to tell you how many ski week visitors thought it would be great if they gave you a knit cap instead of cash at the end of a ski week.

Needless to say, we had a box in which most, if not all, of those hats would later be deposited (and then taken to charities in Reno or Sacramento).

Cash folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As the OP, I want to say Thank you all for giving me your thoughts and reasons for handling this question as you do. I appreciate your time and effort. I don't think more needs to be said. :-)

Edited by unisphere-roy

So it looks like the concensus is cash is king and just tip extra with cash.

:mad: Drat, I just bought 12 dozen hockey pucks to give as cruise tips this year. Hey, it was a better idea than tipping with poutine. Man, that stuff gets nasty by day 7 in the suitcase. :eek:

Look on the bright side. You can use them to hold towels in place on 12 dozen lounge chairs. Maybe you could even win the title of Ultimate Chair Hogger.

Hard candies and chocolate are hard to come by? The crew are not indentured servants. They can buy any of that stuff if they should want it. They are working and providing a service. It's a job. They are not there to make friends, thought undoubtedly that does happen at times. And as has been mentioned, many people don't even like chocolate. We have no idea what they may actually want, besides cash.