Tipping the crew with items other than cash...

unisphere-roy

So, aware of this frequently asked question, we asked two young bar staff if they had ever received gifts..no, they replied, but we'd love a present.

They were asked what, and together they SHOUTED: CANDY/ CHOCOLATE!

It appeared that when they finish their shift, at 2.30am, they are not in the mood to go the the crew mess, so have a stock of sweet items which they can eat quickly, then catch up on their sleep. The young woman was so looking forward to the chocolate bar waiting for her that night...

On turn about day, there's a procession of those who can get ashore, with long lists to buy- in this case to a famous shop called Poundland- everything £1. Their preferences are the chocolates, small apple pies, sweet biscuits, potato crisps (chips), cake and sliced bread!

On the last day, passengers bought those vast Toblerones for them. They were overwhelmed with their gifts.

Actually you are incorrect. If you remove your auto tip than any cash crew members receive must be pooled. If you are giving cash while leaving your auto tip in place then that crew member gets to keep their extra tip. As far as anything extra CASH is king.

This may or may nto be true. Some lines require ALL cash to be pooled, others allow workers to keep it.

I give them key chains and refrigerator magnets from my home state and an 8x10 framed glossy of us

During holiday cruises I give them $2 bills folded into seasonal origami shapes

I heard they appreciate the $2 bills

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Down where the sun don't shine do you really and truly believe your assistant waiter covets a refrigerator magnet from your home state? Does the fact they don't have refrigerators factor any into your thinking? They don't drive so what are they supposed to do with the key chain? A $2 bill folded into origami shapes?? You have got to be kidding. Did someone along the way convince you that ship's crews really want this garbage or did you come up with the idea on your own.

Some cruisers believe most cruise ship employees come from the "back bush" and they like to get "glittery trinkets" UH NO! A lot of these people are well trained professionals, who took the job, maybe to travel or to check out new places to perhaps settle down. CASH CASH CASH will help them advance in their career and maybe a new homeland.

Down where the sun don't shine do you really and truly believe your assistant waiter covets a refrigerator magnet from your home state? Does the fact they don't have refrigerators factor any into your thinking? They don't drive so what are they supposed to do with the key chain? A $2 bill folded into origami shapes?? You have got to be kidding. Did someone along the way convince you that ship's crews really want this garbage or did you come up with the idea on your own.

Um, I believe the individual you were quoting was being tongue-in-cheek ...

Also note that the OP mentioned small gifts in addition to cash gratuities, not instead of ... while I agree that lipsticks or scarves or whatever might not be the best gift, there is nothing wrong with an edible gift of some sort.

The last time we cruised over Halloween we prepared small bags of candy for our cabin stewards & waiters. Their eyes truly lit up when they saw them. We have occasionally brought back good chocolate from a port visit, same thing, their eyes light up. We will be cruising over Valentines Day and plan to bring some small candies. If they want to share it or give it to someone else, that's fine with us.

Lipstick and eyeshadow???

REALLY??

And what color/shade do they prefer? Do you bring a selection and let them pick?

Would YOU wear some random color/shade that someone handed you????

I give them key chains and refrigerator magnets from my home state and an 8x10 framed glossy of us

I know you are kidding but I have to ask, what is it with $2 bills in the US.

I am now living in the US and I wish you had them/ used them.

I always end up with a pile of $1 in my wallet.

when I pay for something under $1 with a 5 it would be much easier to get 2 x $2 instead of 4 x $1.

Lois

Unless you know what the crew member wants or needs, give them cash.

Yeah - but it’s not personalized - and you do want a personalized relationship with the guy who is living 12,000 miles away from his wife and kids so he can clean your toilet because it pays better than what he can get at home (unless, of course you give him chocolate and a necktie in lieu of cash).

I am .......speechless......You're putting us on, right? Right? Please excuse me while I have a nice glass of wine.

Nah I read it on cc

Also note that the OP mentioned small gifts in addition to cash gratuities, not instead of ... while I agree that lipsticks or scarves or whatever might not be the best gift, there is nothing wrong with an edible gift of some sort.

The last time we cruised over Halloween we prepared small bags of candy for our cabin stewards & waiters. Their eyes truly lit up when they saw them. We have occasionally brought back good chocolate from a port visit, same thing, their eyes light up. We will be cruising over Valentines Day and plan to bring some small candies. If they want to share it or give it to someone else, that's fine with us.

Their "eyes light up" so that you'll give them cash at the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pretty much any service professional and people who work at charities where they accept donations are talented at "lighting up". Lord knows, even I can put on a show when someone well meaning shows up at my office with homemade goodies... "yummy, yummy" and right to the trash.

I know you are kidding but I have to ask, what is it with $2 bills in the US.

I am now living in the US and I wish you had them/ used them.

I always end up with a pile of $1 in my wallet.

when I pay for something under $1 with a 5 it would be much easier to get 2 x $2 instead of 4 x $1.

Lois

Oh, it's like the Metric system. We (the U.S.) couldn't handle it. :D

So, aware of this frequently asked question, we asked two young bar staff if they had ever received gifts..no, they replied, but we'd love a present.

They were asked what, and together they SHOUTED: CANDY/ CHOCOLATE!

It appeared that when they finish their shift, at 2.30am, they are not in the mood to go the the crew mess, so have a stock of sweet items which they can eat quickly, then catch up on their sleep. The young woman was so looking forward to the chocolate bar waiting for her that night...

On turn about day, there's a procession of those who can get ashore, with long lists to buy- in this case to a famous shop called Poundland- everything £1. Their preferences are the chocolates, small apple pies, sweet biscuits, potato crisps (chips), cake and sliced bread!

On the last day, passengers bought those vast Toblerones for them. They were overwhelmed with their gifts.

That's great. I thought it was only the U.S. that had The Dollar stores.