Everything... Norwegian ENCORE! Launch Nov 2019

TheDougOut

Reading these comments and again so many complaining about the go kart track.

They are NOT forcing it on every ship they can think of!

NCL will have 17 ships by the time Encore is finished, go kart tracks are in just 3 of them, Joy, Bliss and now Encore.

3 Out of 17 is clearly not every ship.

The go kart track on Joy was popular and why they added one to Bliss, the track on Bliss was extremely popular and why they added one to Encore.

Encore is the 4th and final ship in NCL breakaway fleet, is there 100 percent proof that the go kart tracks will be added to their new ships through to 2029 on their Leonardo class?

Every company changes whether you have been a loyal customer or not, for better or worse hotels do it, airlines do it, cruise ships do it, restaurants do it etc.

5 minutes ago, First_Time_Cruiser85 said:

Reading these comments and again so many complaining about the go kart track.

They are NOT forcing it on every ship they can think of!

NCL will have 17 ships by the time Encore is finished, go kart tracks are in just 3 of them, Joy, Bliss and now Encore.

3 Out of 17 is clearly not every ship.

The go kart track on Joy was popular and why they added one to Bliss, the track on Bliss was extremely popular and why they added one to Encore.

Encore is the 4th and final ship in NCL breakaway fleet, is there 100 percent proof that the go kart tracks will be added to their new ships through to 2029 on their Leonardo class?

Every company changes whether you have been a loyal customer or not, for better or worse hotels do it, airlines do it, cruise ships do it, restaurants do it etc.

They are adding to the Escape.  All the other ships are not big enough to support the Go Kart track.  Every new ship is.  Do the math 

2 minutes ago, First_Time_Cruiser85 said:

Mr Mike, show me the proof all NCL ships after Encore will have go kart tracks!

Mr. "I've never even taken one cruise yet" is back...  How nice.

No deck plans or anything have been released yet on Leonardo class ships but it would be a safe bet if they've put a race track on the last 3 new builds...  And area already researching whether they can add a race track to Escape during it's dry dock in 2020, that they would definitely consider race tracks on the Leonardo class.  Obviously, NCL thinks there is money to be made with the race tracks which is why they are doing them in the first place.

10 minutes ago, First_Time_Cruiser85 said:

Mr Mike, show me the proof all NCL ships after Encore will have go kart tracks!

Clearly, I am not in the architectural blue print department for NCL, so I have no proof.  

I do have proof that the last 3 ships that have enough room/strength to support a Go Kart track will have them.  There was also proof given that a ship that will be going into dry dock next year (again with enough room/strength) will have one added.  None of NCL's other ships have the room/strength to support a Go Kart track.  The Project Leonardo ships are all larger than the current builds, so they will be able to support one.  Simple premise of theory here. 

I also do not have proof that the sun will rise tomorrow, but I am pretty sure it will.  

Edited by MrMike45
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, First_Time_Cruiser85 said:

Mr’ I cannot believe there is less space to sunbathe’ is back.😂😂😂😂😂

Just curious...what cruise are you booked on?  And how many times, at $7 a race, did you plan to ride the Go Karts?  Since they clearly are a very appealing attraction to you 

It is disappointing that they are limiting the free public spaces on the open deck to add more options that cost more money.  I'm sure that if I book a cruise on one of those ships that I would try it once or twice depending on what my family wants to do.  I am worried about the over crowding that is going to occur around the pool areas though. 

• Like 2

MrMike I ain’t going on a cruise just for the go kart track.😂

I’m going on 1 because I have been told they are amazing for entertainment, restaurants, food, shore excursions to awesome different destinations and to see what all the fuss is about.

Was also told to do the Beach Vibe club if It’s possible.

Go kart track is an added bonus, don’t really care for laser tag but can see how that’s popular with families.

30 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

It is disappointing that they are limiting the free public spaces on the open deck to add more options that cost more money.  I'm sure that if I book a cruise on one of those ships that I would try it once or twice depending on what my family wants to do.  I am worried about the over crowding that is going to occur around the pool areas though. 

I agree with you- also it is going to force people out of the pool area and then they are going to be put in a position to spend money on other things that they weren't planning to.

22 minutes ago, First_Time_Cruiser85 said:

MrMike I ain’t going on a cruise just for the go kart track.😂

I’m going on 1 because I have been told they are amazing for entertainment, restaurants, food, shore excursions to awesome different destinations and to see what all the fuss is about.

Was also told to do the Beach Vibe club if It’s possible.

Go kart track is an added bonus, don’t really care for laser tag but can see how that’s popular with families.

Although I am enthused about the racetrack I think the laser tag area looks hideous and makes the ship look somewhat like a themepark. Needless to say given that I have the UBP I'll probably end up at laser tag regardless. 

• Haha 2

Booked on the Encore Dec 8th. I can't wait to see this ship. I don't care about the GO Cart Track or Laser Tag. I just hope the Manhattan room still has entertainment. I will let you know about the outdoor space. I can totally see where adding these two amenities would help those traveling with family keep the whole family entertained. My concern is the line. We didn't even do the water slides on the Escape due to the lines. We had vibe passes in our hands and gave them to another guest. We didn't need a private area to enjoy our cruise. We found a less crowded bar and we sat upstairs on pool days. It was hot but we had good drink service so we had an amazing vacation. If you can't find something on these ships that makes you enjoy vacation, the cruise line is not the problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrMike45 said:

The fact that they are adding (or attempting to add) Go Karts to other ships people already love is the clearest indication that NCL doesn't give a rat's a$$ about its' loyal customers, but only about how much money those customers can add to their on board spend.  

The Go Karts thing is a cool concept.  I am sure that there are people out there who when planning a vacation are like "that's awesome we have to try that".  But that's it...try it.  You do it once, maybe twice, and you're done.  Having it on one or two ships makes them "the ships with the go kart track".  Forcing it on every ship that it can fit on, even ones that already have great ratings and reviews, killing all the novelty of it, totally different.  And what happens when this all backfires?  And all the latitude (repeat sailing) members don't use the go karts at all.  Are there enough new cruisers on a weekly basis to sustain them?  OR did you just waste 1/3rd of your top side real estate on an attraction that will collect dust after awhile.

I just don't get it, other than Norwegian officially saying screw it.  Let's not even try to hide it anymore.  Everything on board will be an extra fee, take it or leave it.  

That is a very old marketing concept for cruise lines.  Yes, they still like repeat cruisers and reward them.  However, those cruisers always cruise.  The cruising market is to get families cruising who never considered it before.  Even if they cruise once and hate it, its still a customer base that increases revenue.  The Encore is a floating advertisement.  When she pulls into port, all the kids are going to point to Encore and say "I want to go on that ship."  The push is on to lure new passengers and that is exactly what NCL and the other lines are doing.  Yes, we loyal customers do feel like we got the back seat but such is life.  Consider it like mosquitos searching for new blood.  Or termites searching for a new food source.  They already have us.  The goal is to get new people cruising.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

Oh no, this is really worrying me. We have been on 13 previous cruises but never one of the big mega-ships, mainly because I was worried about overcrowding. But we recently booked this cruise for January with friends who wanted this one specifically so I went against my concerns and agreed. Now I am wondering if we made a big mistake. I have always felt that NCL put too much real estate in the pay-restaurants which makes the common areas more crowded and now this sounds way worse.

I don't particularly care to be at the pool deck but I want to be outside in the fresh air enjoying the sea. Will I be able to do this on the Waterfront? Is this like the old time promenade decks? On the plans it looks like this area is upcharge restaurants. I could try to buy a Vibe pass but hubby likes the spa and if he does that then we spend all day apart, that doesn't sound like fun either. And our cruise has 3 sea days so...

Please someone reassure me that I will have nice places to go and relax? 

buy both, spa and vibe, then you are a good customer for NCL.

you find seats at waterfront, the restaurants are for pay but there are other seats to take or a bar at every site. But who knows how crowdy it will be if all people who are looking for a little quite place are going there now.

I've had a little time to think this over, and a lot of my comments can just be said by replying to some recent comments, so I'll just do that instead...

2 minutes ago, Steff79 said:

buy both, spa and vibe, then you are a good customer for NCL.

you find seats at waterfront, the restaurants are for pay but there are other seats to take or a bar at every site. But who knows how crowdy it will be if all people who are looking for a little quite place are going there now.

For me, its either the Spa or the Vibe.  If the Vibe had its own dedicated pool, it would be a hard sell for me and probably something I would go for, but it doesn't.  Its literally just a place to sunbathe, be waited on, and have a private bar.  There is literally no appeal to that for me.  I'll deal with the crowds around the main pool, at least there is a pool to cool off in.

1 hour ago, MrMike45 said:

The fact that they are adding (or attempting to add) Go Karts to other ships people already love is the clearest indication that NCL doesn't give a rat's a$$ about its' loyal customers, but only about how much money those customers can add to their on board spend.  

The Go Karts thing is a cool concept.  I am sure that there are people out there who when planning a vacation are like "that's awesome we have to try that".  But that's it...try it.  You do it once, maybe twice, and you're done.  Having it on one or two ships makes them "the ships with the go kart track".  Forcing it on every ship that it can fit on, even ones that already have great ratings and reviews, killing all the novelty of it, totally different.  And what happens when this all backfires?  And all the latitude (repeat sailing) members don't use the go karts at all.  Are there enough new cruisers on a weekly basis to sustain them?  OR did you just waste 1/3rd of your top side real estate on an attraction that will collect dust after awhile.

I just don't get it, other than Norwegian officially saying screw it.  Let's not even try to hide it anymore.  Everything on board will be an extra fee, take it or leave it.  

So a couple things here.  You're right, NCL is about trying to make money.  We all know this at this point between the implementation of some pay to play activities (Go-Karts, Laser Tag, Galaxy Pavilion, and even the individual games in the Arcade) as well as the reduced value of the UBP as well as the introduction of Specialty Dining options where you have an entrance fee.  But all cruise lines (at least the introductory lines) are moving in this direction, so while NCL might be pushing it a little harder, lets not pretend that the others are nickel and diming you as well, they're just doing it in other ways.  Case in point, the last RCCL cruise I went on, the drink plan was $800pp for a week.  With the Free at Sea (which, apparently take all 6 is now trending toward standard, since they've had that available for the past 3 months straight) it costs us less than half that on NCL.

And, lets also not act like the Go-Kart tracks are taking away valuable high volume real estate on the top side of the ships.  We're talking about the areas that were usually taken up by the ropes course and putt-putt on other BA+ options, which were low density options on these ships anyway.  Now, they've just been replaced by something that you have to pay to play.  Which sucks, but it isn't the end of the world.  If you want to direct your anger anywhere, do it toward the laser tag that eliminated Spice.  But even then, we don't yet know the full scope of this venue.  Its supposed to be laser tag with a build in Augmented Reality concept that could and should be the bleeding edge of entertainment, especially on a cruise ship.  It could be something that absolutely sets this ship apart from the rest, and could be revolutionary for the industry.  Especially with its close proximity to the Galaxy Pavilion, and the potential there, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

14 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

That is a very old marketing concept for cruise lines.  Yes, they still like repeat cruisers and reward them.  However, those cruisers always cruise.  The cruising market is to get families cruising who never considered it before.  Even if they cruise once and hate it, its still a customer base that increases revenue.  The Encore is a floating advertisement.  When she pulls into port, all the kids are going to point to Encore and say "I want to go on that ship."  The push is on to lure new passengers and that is exactly what NCL and the other lines are doing.  Yes, we loyal customers do feel like we got the back seat but such is life.  Consider it like mosquitos searching for new blood.  Or termites searching for a new food source.  They already have us.  The goal is to get new people cruising.

And right here is the thing.  The cruise industry is trying to move in a direction where it starts to attract a crowd that has long term sustainability.  For all the stupid stereotypes you hear about the millennial generation, they're the ones in that late-20s to mid-30s age range right now with young families getting financial stability at home through work that allows them to have the means to travel and are looking for options.  This is the generation that these cruise lines are marketing for, and the ones that could be the recurring customer for the next 30+ years.  This has typically been a high energy tech savvy generation, and you're seeing it play out that way throughout the industry where lines are scaling back the reliance on sunbathing and relaxation and propping up activities.  Its just the natural progression of time playing out as the clientele migrates.

• Like 1

Maybe it's because I have been on so many NCL cruises that I am so against this.  It's not about a specific thing, it's about everything as a whole.  It's about adding fees on top of the pay-to-play fees (i.e. buying a dining package to eat at Cagney's, then charging an additional $3.99 plus 18% gratuity (so they need an extra tip to bring this appetizer vs. bringing any other?) for shrimp cocktail.)   It's about taking away more and more of what was included with your $3000 cruise fare, and adding more and more of Well even though you already paid us $3000, this costs an additional $10, that costs an additional $20, that costs an additional $5.   And now, they take away open space to add in paid attractions.  Whether it be to sun bathe, or just hang outside and walk around, the top deck is now 1/3 Vibe-Haven (pay) - 1/3 race track-laser tag (pay) - 1/3 free pool area.  It's more paid areas than not.  I'm not sure other cruise lines are going that far in the "pay-to-play" business model.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow, no Spice H20, that pool deck is going to be so crowded now. I am glad I booked a thermal spa room because it is impossible to get a vibe pass, there is almost no where to lounge by a pool unless you are lucky enough to get a vibe pass and shell out even more money for an adults only area.  Wow! 

2 hours ago, KAYKAY121 said:

Booked on the Encore Dec 8th. I can't wait to see this ship. I don't care about the GO Cart Track or Laser Tag. I just hope the Manhattan room still has entertainment. I will let you know about the outdoor space. I can totally see where adding these two amenities would help those traveling with family keep the whole family entertained. My concern is the line. We didn't even do the water slides on the Escape due to the lines. We had vibe passes in our hands and gave them to another guest. We didn't need a private area to enjoy our cruise. We found a less crowded bar and we sat upstairs on pool days. It was hot but we had good drink service so we had an amazing vacation. If you can't find something on these ships that makes you enjoy vacation, the cruise line is not the problem.

We’ll be sailing with you! We were on November 24th but rebooked for the 8th to take advantage of lower fare and free airfare offer from Atlanta. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Noworkforme23 said:

Wow, no Spice H20, that pool deck is going to be so crowded now. I am glad I booked a thermal spa room because it is impossible to get a vibe pass, there is almost no where to lounge by a pool unless you are lucky enough to get a vibe pass and shell out even more money for an adults only area.  Wow! 

As discussed here, Vibe has been quadrupled in size. It likely won't be hard to get a pass anymore.

1 hour ago, Beardface said:

And, lets also not act like the Go-Kart tracks are taking away valuable high volume real estate on the top side of the ships.  We're talking about the areas that were usually taken up by the ropes course and putt-putt on other BA+ options, which were low density options on these ships anyway.  Now, they've just been replaced by something that you have to pay to play.  Which sucks, but it isn't the end of the world.  If you want to direct your anger anywhere, do it toward the laser tag that eliminated Spice.  But even then, we don't yet know the full scope of this venue.  Its supposed to be laser tag with a build in Augmented Reality concept that could and should be the bleeding edge of entertainment, especially on a cruise ship.  It could be something that absolutely sets this ship apart from the rest, and could be revolutionary for the industry.  Especially with its close proximity to the Galaxy Pavilion, and the potential there, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

That is a good point and I don't mind that they traded the ropes course, climbing wall and putt put for the track.  The part of the track that I don't care for is that they replaced 3 free items with one you have to pay for, which probably isn't what it is worth on land.  Then, taking more free deck space to expand Vibe deck space that again costs more money.  And further, like you said, removing Spice H2O and replacing it with Laser Tag that again costs more money. 

To be honest, a Laser Tag could have been built on one of the lower floors.  But now you are talking about removing another commodity for them to make money like a different shop, restaurant or state rooms.

3 hours ago, MrMike45 said:

Clearly, I am not in the architectural blue print department for NCL, so I have no proof.  

I do have proof that the last 3 ships that have enough room/strength to support a Go Kart track will have them.  There was also proof given that a ship that will be going into dry dock next year (again with enough room/strength) will have one added.  None of NCL's other ships have the room/strength to support a Go Kart track.  The Project Leonardo ships are all larger than the current builds, so they will be able to support one.  Simple premise of theory here. 

I also do not have proof that the sun will rise tomorrow, but I am pretty sure it will.  

Isn't Project Leonardo supposed to be smaller than Breakaway Plus? A little research from what I'm showing shows PL to have a length of 300m and GT of 140,000 and Breakaway Plus has length of 326-340m and GT of 145-169GT. 

According to this article in the Orlando Sentinel "The ships are large, but significantly smaller than the ships Norwegian has rolled out the last few years including the 165,300-ton Breakaway Plus Class ships like Norwegian Escape that sails out of Miami and its sister ships Norwegian Joy coming later this year and Norwegian Bliss coming in 2018."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

Well I stand corrected if they are to be smaller/too small to add a Go Kart track.  Based off the pictures I have seen online, they look significantly bigger, especially the top deck/open area 

Breakaway Class are 145k gross tons.

Breakaway Plus Class are 164k to 169k gross tons.

Project Leonardo will be 140k gross tons.

Your vision doesn't deceive you Mike...  Part of the positives of Project Mille/Leocardo Class ships is that the diesel engines are moved further forward to the center of gravity instead of aft like the Breakaway/Breakaway+ ships.  The stack is also forward more as well with the combination that there will be no top deck pool (large weights move the center of gravity up) and the spa complex will be moved lower on this class as well from most reports...

Combine all that, and you get the ability to add an extra passenger deck of cabins (about 10% more), about 10% more open deck space and about 10% more efficient overall.  Another thing to note, the superstructure above the hull is going to be more narrow than Breakaway/Breakaway+ ships according to some reports which tells me there will be less inside staterooms and potentially no Studio Cabin complex.  Guess we'll have to wait and see.

MSC Seaside & MSC Seaview will give you some rough concept of what to expect.  These two ships are also based on Project Mille from Fincantieri although they are larger than what NCL has on order for Leonardo (153k gross tons vs. 140k gross tons).

• Like 2