Addding Luxurfy to Neptune Suites.

sail7seas

I also think part of it is that because the suites do not sell, they end up upselling people into them at greatly reduced rates. We’ve only paid full price for a Neptune Suite once for a special-occasion sailing...all other times we’ve been upsold from a balcony guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This isn't a zero-sum game where suites only gain by taking from non-suite passengers.

Actually, a reduction in the number of suites could be an indication those suites are over-priced and are not selling.

My feeling is the larger cabins are more welcome on the longer cruises. Since these newer larger ships tend to cover shorter and more conventional itineraries I can see why the enjoyment of the more deluxe and larger suites for the premium price would be of less interest and marketability.

When people are taking 30-90 day cruises, they create a new "home" for themselves while onboard for that length of time - that is where both the itinerary and cabin choices can make a big difference for those who can and want to pay that premium. With just the opposite also being true - with those longer cruise itineraries also having plenty of smaller cabins to make these grand long cruise experience more affordable too.

Glad to see the older still offer these larger cabin options and the longer, more unique itineraries. They will soon pass and the larger ships will be stuck plying the same routes and using the more industrial ports that can accept their sizes. HAL is caught in the middle somewhere between the more boutique and expensive smaller ship cruise lines and the really large mass market cruise lines - appreciate HAL can still offer a hybrid of options and still seems to care about the uniqueness of many of their itinerary offerings that these smaller ships can engage.

Could be, but I have another theory.

Several passengers I spoke to on K'dam commented that "this ship is bigger but the rooms are smaller." The comment was more often about veranda cabins than neptune suites. Fewer larger rooms and more smaller rooms could be a way to get more passengers on board, resulting in more onboard spending. The K seems to be aimed at attracting new passengers--music walk, O, more dining venues (mostly at an additional fee) and also trying to grab the attention of people who chase after new ships.

I suspect the new passengers spend more on board. Not ALL, but on average, I bet they do. Based on comments from long-time HAL passengers on this board, I'd say those of us with a lot of cruises in our past are not buying the expensive photos, not falling for the drink in a "souvenir glass," not shopping on board. Speaking just for myself, I know I bought more souvenirs, ship t-shirts, and photos on my earlier cruises than on recent ones. (bar bill is about the same :eek:)

Really good post IMO and I agree with most of it :cool:.

Okay, gang, you have convinced me to not waste any more of my retireement stash on Neptunes. They are no long er worth p;aying 200% for me............. I am surprising myself but thhink some of the comments here 'rang a bell' for me.

I will not sail without a veranda but I don't have to have a Neptune in order to have a veran da.

Over 100 times in a Neptune (or Penthouses, as they used to be called) is quite enough for me, at this time.

I sincerely doubt HAL had a more loyal Neptune cruisers than me but they have pushed me away. I say No More. @! ' I am pushing back. They no longer prov ide enough value for my money. and I am unwilling to cottinue in t those suittes wirhout some m ajor changes which I do not see on the horizon. Their product is quite wdifferent than the HAL to which my late DH and I were so loyal.

i think this was a GREAT thread, for ME< hopefully, for others as well.

Edited by sail7seas

Well, Sail, "never say never"; who knows, you may return to a Neptune when the price-value quotient makes sense for you. In any case, good discussion started--thanks for getting it going. Certainly I do not see anything "self centred" in your posts or in your raising this topic. I gingerly add my two cents: luxury truly is in the eye of the beholder. For me, getting maximum value for my dollar is important.

I know what my wife and I do on a cruise--we enjoy evening cocktails before dinner, including a drink in the cabin while dressing. We enjoy wine at dinner. We enjoy some shore excursions (in the Caribbean, only a snorkel tour as we have seen most of it, but in Europe good tours are more important to us). All these things are at an added cost on HAL, whatever suite category chosen. We enjoy the included laundry in a Neptune but with 500 + days I get that now in any category.

We used to get Neptunes on upsells but then they became more important--nicer space and the use of the lounge as a quiet spot to go, grab a light breakfast or a snack, and to have the assistance of the concierge. So we bit the bullet and would pay for them, but again only when the price-value quotient, as we subjectively saw it, made sense.

Considering my bill at the end, my total spend including the currency exchange, we know our cost per diem. Last year we tried a Seabourn cruise. Some of it we liked, some (some service issues) things surprised. HAL's excellent service compared surprisingly well to Seabourn. My review of our Odyssey cruise of last December is posted in the CC "review" section for that ship, if anyone is interested. That being noted, there are still in our view pluses to Seabourn for us, keeping in mind our particular likes. We have another Seabourn cruise booked for later this year.

We liked the included liquor, which was all of very good quality. We liked the smaller verandah cabin which, in some ways, was more practical (a very usable table for dining) than we find is the Neptune suite. We found more than enough space inside the cabin, and on the verandah, for the two of us. We wondered about that before we went, but it turned out to be quite fine despite our being used to larger cabins. We liked the better entertainment--subjective, yet our opinion; we also liked the smaller ship feel generally.

Finally, I really liked the almost all-in pricing: no large bill at the end, and we got a very good deal on the cabin to begin with (as always, it pays to shop around!).

We will definitely return to HAL, again, depending on the particular cruise--itinerary and price. Lately, however, the Neptunes have been, from our perspective, very dear for what you get (or, more accurately, what you do not get). For that per diem we can sail (on some itineraries, at some times, again--careful shopping) on a more inclusive line, thus reducing our overall vacation spend. At present, unless the price reduces (and again on some itineraries it does) or if there are more inclusions for the price, the Neptunes are not the best value for us. Other peoples' mileage may vary.

For us, inclusions which make sense may be a wine package. Yet another poster suggested that HAL in advance of a cruise after a booking offer a menu of inclusions from which someone booked in a Neptune Suite could pick one (or perhaps two). I think that ability to customize is a winner, and doing this would allow HAL to better compete, at the suite level, with Celebrity or with the Haven of NCL. In my view, those brands, at their top level, are likely HAL's competitors.

Smooth seas to all...

Okay, gang, you have convinced me to not waste any more of my retireement stash on Neptunes. They are no long er worth p;aying 200% for me............. I am surprising myself but thhink some of the comments here 'rang a bell' for me.

I will not sail without a veranda but I don't have to have a Neptune in order to have a veran da.

Over 100 times in a Neptune (or Penthouses, as they used to be called) is quite enough for me, at this time.

I sincerely doubt HAL had a more loyal Neptune cruisers than me but they have pushed me away. I say No More. @! ' I am pushing back. They no longer prov ide enough value for my money. and I am unwilling to cottinue in t those suittes wirhout some m ajor changes which I do not see on the horizon. Their product is quite wdifferent than the HAL to which my late DH and I were so loyal.

i think this was a GREAT thread, for ME< hopefully, for others as well.

Adding more luxurious balcony furniture alone in the Neptune Suites would be the best outcome of all from this thread.. Glad you started it. That would be an immediate and direct benefit and not require a dry dock, just a good furniture moving day.

And an update to the photos to make this wonderful extra space look far more tantalizing. Grand, well appointed balconies say grand cruising to me almost more than anything else. They could be the private equivalent of the highly Upper Lido deck popular cabanas. And come with the similar amenities. How about even heat lamps!

Well, Sail, "never say never"; who knows, you may return to a Neptune when the price-value quotient makes sense for you. In any case, good discussion started--thanks for getting it going. Certainly I do not see anything "self centred" in your posts or in your raising this topic. I gingerly add my two cents: luxury truly is in the eye of the beholder. For me, getting maximum value for my dollar is important.

I know what my wife and I do on a cruise--we enjoy evening cocktails before dinner, including a drink in the cabin while dressing. We enjoy wine at dinner. We enjoy some shore excursions (in the Caribbean, only a snorkel tour as we have seen most of it, but in Europe good tours are more important to us). All these things are at an added cost on HAL, whatever suite category chosen. We enjoy the included laundry in a Neptune but with 500 + days I get that now in any category.

We used to get Neptunes on upsells but then they became more important--nicer space and the use of the lounge as a quiet spot to go, grab a light breakfast or a snack, and to have the assistance of the concierge. So we bit the bullet and would pay for them, but again only when the price-value quotient, as we subjectively saw it, made sense.

Considering my bill at the end, my total spend including the currency exchange, we know our cost per diem. Last year we tried a Seabourn cruise. Some of it we liked, some (some service issues) things surprised. HAL's excellent service compared surprisingly well to Seabourn. My review of our Odyssey cruise of last December is posted in the CC "review" section for that ship, if anyone is interested. That being noted, there are still in our view pluses to Seabourn for us, keeping in mind our particular likes. We have another Seabourn cruise booked for later this year.

We liked the included liquor, which was all of very good quality. We liked the smaller verandah cabin which, in some ways, was more practical (a very usable table for dining) than we find is the Neptune suite. We found more than enough space inside the cabin, and on the verandah, for the two of us. We wondered about that before we went, but it turned out to be quite fine despite our being used to larger cabins. We liked the better entertainment--subjective, yet our opinion; we also liked the smaller ship feel generally.

Finally, I really liked the almost all-in pricing: no large bill at the end, and we got a very good deal on the cabin to begin with (as always, it pays to shop around!).

We will definitely return to HAL, again, depending on the particular cruise--itinerary and price. Lately, however, the Neptunes have been, from our perspective, very dear for what you get (or, more accurately, what you do not get). For that per diem we can sail (on some itineraries, at some times, again--careful shopping) on a more inclusive line, thus reducing our overall vacation spend. At present, unless the price reduces (and again on some itineraries it does) or if there are more inclusions for the price, the Neptunes are not the best value for us. Other peoples' mileage may vary.

For us, inclusions which make sense may be a wine package. Yet another poster suggested that HAL in advance of a cruise after a booking offer a menu of inclusions from which someone booked in a Neptune Suite could pick one (or perhaps two). I think that ability to customize is a winner, and doing this would allow HAL to better compete, at the suite level, with Celebrity or with the Haven of NCL. In my view, those brands, at their top level, are likely HAL's competitors.

Smooth seas to all...

Wow, we could've written your remarks about why you like NS! Sychronicity. Great to know about Seaborn, a line we've yet to cruise--you've pushed us to to check it out for ourselves! Thanks.

Adding more luxurious balcony furniture alone in the Neptune Suites would be the best outcome of all from this thread.. Glad you started it. That would be an immediate and direct benefit and not require a dry dock, just a good furniture moving day.

And an update to the photos to make this wonderful extra space look far more tantalizing. Grand, well appointed balconies say grand cruising to me almost more than anything else. They could be the private equivalent of the highly Upper Lido deck popular cabanas. And come with the similar amenities. How about even heat lamps!

The larger balcony, especially in corner afts, is a large part of my decision to book a Neptune Suite. I hadn't thought about it, but yes, more comfortable loungers would be nice. I'm not sure the cabana loungers would fit, but something more comfy would be welcome.

And ON cruiser raises a good point. Why do Neptune Suites not have a table with a height adjustment? A nice large cabin where it would be pleasant to have dinner (on days or itineraries where the balcony isn't usable), but no usable table. OTOH, a small cabin, where it might be crowded to have dinner, has a table that can be used for a meal. Our K'dam NS had two tables, both low and not adjustable. WHY couldn't one of them be at dining height?!?

Then let me clarify the situation. This thread is about providing additional luxuries solely for the Neptune Suites, thus further promoting a social caste system aboard the ship.

Stateroom prices are largely based on size and location, and that should be enough. For someone to demand that they be showered with additional luxuries without any consideration for others is indeed self-centered.

It is interesting that HAL has reduced the number of Signature and Neptune Suites on the Koningsdam as compared to a Vista-class ship, which debunks the notion that the Neptune Suite passengers are subsidizing the other passengers.

igraf

I totally disagree with these comments and understanding. HAL ships are a two class ship in many ways. The perks are not self-centered, rather centered to those who pay more. Also, the "debunking of the notion that the Neptune Suite passengers are subsidizing" comment----while it is certainly true that there are less Neptune suites on the K'dam it is because they are going more to a different demographic.

Will be on NA in an aft wrap Neptune in April...Will post pictures...:)
Thanks!!

Adding more luxurious balcony furniture alone in the Neptune Suites would be the best outcome of all from this thread.
Changes and outcomes generally come from market research, contributions to normalized surveys, feedback to company officials provided by verbal or written communications and tired to an identified consumer, etc. Random anonymous posters on the Internet probably won't lead to a major capital expenditure.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

CC has a wonderful feature, Rather than imply I drink (which I do not), put me on ignore and you will never have to see my posts unless someone quotes them. And if I had a stroke I am not likely to say so here.

My feeling is the larger cabins are more welcome on the longer cruises. Since these newer larger ships tend to cover shorter and more conventional itineraries I can see why the enjoyment of the more deluxe and larger suites for the premium price would be of less interest and marketability.

When people are taking 30-90 day cruises, they create a new "home" for themselves while onboard for that length of time - that is where both the itinerary and cabin choices can make a big difference for those who can and want to pay that premium. With just the opposite also being true - with those longer cruise itineraries also having plenty of smaller cabins to make these grand long cruise experience more affordable too.

I think you've expressed my feelings on this much better than I could. I'm still getting a feel for what cruise travel is all about, so I'm trying to enjoy a variety of experiences.

However, there are a few things I know for sure:

1) I would NOT be happy on one of the "mega" ships. I just can't deal with that whole "bee hive" feeling (hordes of people, etc.). I need peace and quiet.

2) I need a way to "go outside" -- so a veranda of some sort is critical.

3) I can't see myself being comfortable on a short cruise -- with a rare exception, I can't see myself booking anything less than 14 days, and all my future cruises (with one exception) are 28+ days long.

I'll be comparing my HAL Neptune Suite experience with a few other options. I'm especially interested in seeing how Regent Seven Seas stacks up. I've booked a 29-day Vancouver, BC --> Miami trip for Sept/Oct this year on the Mariner. For almost the same $$/day that I'm spending on a Neptune Suite for a cruise of similar length (Mar/Apr 2019, 28 days, San Diego --> Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas --> San Diego), I'll be in a smaller suite (RSSC Concierge Suite), almost the same size as HAL's Vista Suite (RSSC = 301 sq ft; HAL = 292 sq ft). So yeah, significantly smaller than a Neptune, but with a nice verandah and layout including small walk-in closet.

BUT ...

The following are included at NO extra charge:

1. Unlimited wifi

2. All drinks, including wine, booze (except for premium brands), coffee, soft drinks, etc. and a stocked in-room mini-bar

3. Shore excursions (90% of the listed RSSC excursions are no extra charge; a few "special" ones have an additional cost)

4. Airfare to/from embark and disembark cities. I live an hour from Vancouver, so I was given a credit for that flight (I'll take the train), and that credit paid for an upgrade to first class on the return flight from Miami. (This may be a promotional thing, though.)

5. One night at the Four Seasons Hotel in Vancouver with transfer from hotel to ship; also transfer from ship to airport in Miami -- I'll take the train to Vancouver a day before embark date

6. Meals in all specialty restaurants -- no extra charge

7. Service charges

8. In-room coffee maker, binoculars, upscale toiletries (L'Occitane)

In other words, basically all inclusive.

It's also a smaller ship: 700 passengers. So we'll see. Maybe I'm trying to compare apples and firetrucks (both are red, but they're very different). RSSC prides itself on being a "luxury" cruise line while HAL is more of a "premium" experience.

If I find that I'm OK in a smaller space, I may book a Signature or Vista for my future HAL cruises, and use the savings for other things. Or it may be that the extra amenities don't outweigh the smaller cabin size and I'll continue booking Neptunes on HAL.

The bottom line: I'm going places I want to go, seeing things I've only read about. As long as the cost is worth it, I'll keep going.

I've only been in a Neptune suite once, but I liked it. I can say the same thing about HAL. One time and I liked it. I have stayed in suites on other cruise lines....I feel like the NS is a pretty good value. I have a limit on what I'll spend for a suite and it doesn't matter what cruise line. The addition or elimination of perk this or perk that helps to sway me one direction or another, from port to port, ship to ship, cruise line to cruise line.

So some things I look at are:

1. Price. No secret to me $4000/7 days is THE price for me. I only get to cruise about twice a year so I want to live it up a little. BUT I'm not sure I'd ever get more than $4000 WORTH. So $4000 is IT...plus/minus.

2. Location. HAL generally wins this. If an aft corner NS is available it certainly puts HAL in a prime position for a cruise booking! Suites far forward usually get a minus.

3. Size of the balcony. HAL seems to do well here. The corner aft NS are really the best for my amount of money.

4. Furniture on the balcony. For me it's basically two lounge chairs. If I have that, I'm happy. You wouldn't believe how many more expensive suites have basically two small upright chairs and an itty bitty table and that's it. HAL seems to ace this as well.

5. OBC/Perks... OBC is self explanatory. The more the better if you'll use it for something you would buy anyway. Perks...drink package? Internet? Dining package? Gratuities paid? Some cruise lines include more and are generally costing more. Reserved seating at venues/pool area?

6. Concierge/suite lounge? Is there one? What's in there? Appetizers? Drinks? Happy hour?

7. Breakfast and/or lunch area. HAL and Royal have breakfast covered. NCL has both. Carnival, nothing.

So....On HAL I can usually check the top four things that are important to me. It's why I haven't been on Princess or NCL new ships....On Princess the suite I'm comfortable paying for is usually ALL the way forward and the balcony not that large. NCL the balcony is usually tiny with no loungers. So I'm happy with what I get with a HAL NS for the price paid. But I can say the same for Royal Caribbean.

A Neptune Suite takes the place of two standard staterooms. HAL has decided that they make more money with four adult passengers buying drinks and excursions rather than just two (for the same space on the ship). They have to charge more than 2X for a Neptune Suite to make up for the loss, but apparently their demographic does not support the 3X or more price as often as they would like. HAL tries to offer a few extra perks but can't offer too much or they are losing money again.

Most people have figured out that of they pay 3X or more for a Neptune Suite then they are better off on a luxury cruise line where everything is better.

igraf

...Also, the "debunking of the notion that the Neptune Suite passengers are subsidizing" comment----while it is certainly true that there are less Neptune suites on the K'dam it is because they are going more to a different demographic.

Could be, but I have another theory.

Several passengers I spoke to on K'dam commented that "this ship is bigger but the rooms are smaller." The comment was more often about veranda cabins than neptune suites. Fewer larger rooms and more smaller rooms could be a way to get more passengers on board, resulting in more onboard spending. The K seems to be aimed at attracting new passengers--music walk, O, more dining venues (mostly at an additional fee) and also trying to grab the attention of people who chase after new ships.

I suspect the new passengers spend more on board. Not ALL, but on average, I bet they do. Based on comments from long-time HAL passengers on this board, I'd say those of us with a lot of cruises in our past are not buying the expensive photos, not falling for the drink in a "souvenir glass," not shopping on board. Speaking just for myself, I know I bought more souvenirs, ship t-shirts, and photos on my earlier cruises than on recent ones. (bar bill is about the same :eek:)

I totally agree. “Been there, done that” with the souvenirs. How much HAL stuff does one need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is a little silly to suggest that the suite decision leads to a have and have not situation.

Most mass market travel products have options and from those options flow personal decisions on value. Upgrading a flight or train journey to get more space, a hotel room to get a suite or perhaps a more favourable view. Eat in the dining room or the coffee shop or bar.

But there are no absolutes. It comes down to a customers personal preferences, their perception of value, and the choices they make given the combo of budget and desire to travel. Then add in the competitive offerings of other vendors.

Why on earth would I resent someone who made a decision to opt for a different product, whether it be a first class seat or the Owners Suite on a ship?

We do two overseas trips a year-two months each. This means that our decision criteria can be very different from someone who travels less frequently. Or it may not. Either way we never buy this 'haves' and 'have nots' argument on a cruise ship. Part of it is the way the cruise line market their enhanced offering. In some instances they are far more attuned to intangibles than they are to tangibles because that is where the margin is.

Edited by iancal

The larger balcony, especially in corner afts, is a large part of my decision to book a Neptune Suite. I hadn't thought about it, but yes, more comfortable loungers would be nice. I'm not sure the cabana loungers would fit, but something more comfy would be welcome.

I have to agree with 3rdGenCunarder. The aft corner balconies are what we book whenever we sail aboard Holland America, and limit ourselves to Vista Class Ships. We book the aft corner Haven suites aboard NCL's Breakaway class, and large forward facing balconies aboard the Jewel and Dawn class ships. We are on a cruise to enjoy the tropical weather, and the sea views. I am more than willing to pay for a large verandah and if that comes with certain amenities, that's just fine with me.:)

I have to agree with 3rdGenCunarder. The aft corner balconies are what we book whenever we sail aboard Holland America, and limit ourselves to Vista Class Ships. We book the aft corner Haven suites aboard NCL's Breakaway class, and large forward facing balconies aboard the Jewel and Dawn class ships. We are on a cruise to enjoy the tropical weather, and the sea views. I am more than willing to pay for a large verandah and if that comes with certain amenities, that's just fine with me.:)

I always want a suTie on fhe side of the ship. I like mid-ship. ;0

The one time we had an aft suite on Princess, we we re not happy and never chose that location again.

Then again there wasn't much ab out that cruise that we liked.

I agree. I also cannot see a have-and-have-not theme in this thread. (I may be oblivious though.) I think the only way you can feel that way is if you have some sort of self-esteem issue. Only the individual can decide how they feel. No one else can make that decision for you.

I always want a suTie on fhe side of the ship. I like mid-ship. ;0

The one time we had an aft suite on Princess, we we re not happy and never chose that location again.

Then again there wasn't much ab out that cruise that we liked.

We actually booked a aft suite on the Star Princess for a 15 night RT from LA to Hawaii, and after looking closer at pictures of the verandah on Cruise Deck Plans, we cancelled it and booked a suite in a similar location to where the Neptune suites are located on the Vistas. So for my wife and I, its all about the verandah.;)

We actually booked a aft suite on the Star Princess for a 15 night RT from LA to Hawaii, and after looking closer at pictures of the verandah on Cruise Deck Plans, we cancelled it and booked a suite in a similar location to where the Neptune suites are located on the Vistas. So for my wife and I, its all about the verandah.;)

Absolutely. We do not take shore excursions and do not attend the shows. We spend almost all our time on the balcony. We love the aft wraps on the Vistas.

A very true and excellent post. No one but oursleves can make us feel lesser'.'
The direct quote is, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." The problem with trying to use that quote in this case was that Eleanor Roosevelt was talking about how we FEEL about ourselves. She was not talking about how we might be TREATED. And treatment is what "have and have not" is about, not self-esteem.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.