Addding Luxurfy to Neptune Suites.

sail7seas

Which was my point. They can incorporate all those perks, just don’t raise the rates of non-Neptune Suite passengers to pay for them.

Indeed, I worry about the impact on the non-Neptune Suite passengers if any of these are implemented. Surely these perks are not free to the cruise line, and the Neptune Suite passengers are probably not willing to pay for the luxury to which they feel entitled so someone will have to pay for it. And there is no way it's fair to pass those costs onto passengers who choose ocean-view or inside cabins and will not benefit one bit from the luxury upgrades to Neptune suites.

I believe that HAL's larger issue is not with loyal customers who will continue to buy. They may not be aware of the quality and attributes of similar offerings on competitive lines.

I suspect that HAL really looses out when cruise line neutral folks do their comparisons. Neptune may come up short on value. Especially if they happen to be sitting in front of an experienced TA who specializes in, and is very knowledgeable about the various suite offerings.

I wonder where people get the idea non-suite pax subsidize the suite pax. In many years of traveling, I have never seen any hint of this. I guess it is just "us vs. them" mentality.

It is and has always been that the Suite guests subsidize the rest. Also keep in ind that HAL is SIGNIFICANTLY reducing the number of Neptune Suites to cater to a different clientel.

The idea most likely comes from the price per square foot comparison. While I haven't taken the time to do the comparison recently, a couple of years ago when comparing the price paid per square foot in different cabin categories, the Neptune Suite was the lowest price paid per square foot. Those sailing in a Neptune Suite, at that time, paid significantly less per square foot than those sailing in an inside, ocean view or balcony cabin.

I disagree with your assertion that Suite passengers subsidize the rest.

It is and has always been that the Suite guests subsidize the rest. Also keep in ind that HAL is SIGNIFICANTLY reducing the number of Neptune Suites to cater to a different clientel.

Excellent point :)

The could use some of the sa vings they are enjoying by no longer holding gghe Sui e t Welcome Aboard party we had for years, every cruise. Open Batr, many officers attending, nice nibles passed around... . Those savings from all the ships, all the cruises could pay for some suite updating.

Agree with the suggestions for more luxurious Neptune verandah space furnishings. That is such a great space for these pricier and deserves to be a far more comfortable cocoon. Somewhat battered and utilitarian describes them now.

The idea most likely comes from the price per square foot comparison. While I haven't taken the time to do the comparison recently, a couple of years ago when comparing the price paid per square foot in different cabin categories, the Neptune Suite was the lowest price paid per square foot. Those sailing in a Neptune Suite, at that time, paid significantly less per square foot than those sailing in an inside, ocean view or balcony cabin.

So, certainly the size of the room is only one factor. I JUST did a comparison on the K'dam on a very similar cruise that I am going on soon. Using the average size of a Vista Suite and the Average size of the Neptune suite the cost IS:

Vista = 8.3/dollars per sq ft. Neptune = 18.0/dollars per sq. ft.

I wonder where people get the idea non-suite pax subsidize the suite pax. In many years of traveling, I have never seen any hint of this. I guess it is just "us vs. them" mentality.

Please read my post more carefully. You will see that I said II have no problem with them adding more luxury to the Neptune suites as long as non- Neptune suite pax Don’t have to subsidize them. I never said that we do so now.

There is no us versus them mentality. We all choose to spend our money differently. Some people want to be welcomed aboard by a little party where they socialize with the officers. Some people want a concierge to handle their dining reservations. Some of us Have no interest in mingling with officers, especially if we are paying for the so-called privilege. Some of us do a perfectly good job of handling dining reservations on our own.

Some passengers don’t understand paying such an inflated price to sail on a ship where everyone enjoys the same dinners, the same ports, the same entertainers, etc. At the same time, some people don’t understand why everyone doesn’t want to saIl in a Neptune suite.

I am claustrophobic so I must have a veranda. But I have often said that the smartest passengers on the ship are the ones in the inside cabins. They pay the least and enjoy all the experiences that the ship and its ports have to offer!

Edited by ithaca gal
redundancy

I don't think the prices for suites OR other cabins will have to be raised to put into place at least a FEW of the mentioned suite perks. When I compare prices of a NS vs a Royal Caribbean GS, the prices are very similar for similar itinerary. Maybe with a few more included amenities the NS would sell for ASKING price and not for the reduced rate immediately after final payment date. I checked after final payment date and a NS was about $850 less than what I paid.... So they still had a lot to sell AND they still do! Still 10 NS available for my sailing. I've never seen a GS available after final payment date for any sailing of Royal Caribbean I've been on.

So, certainly the size of the room is only one factor. I JUST did a comparison on the K'dam on a very similar cruise that I am going on soon. Using the average size of a Vista Suite and the Average size of the Neptune suite the cost IS:

Vista = 8.3/dollars per sq ft. Neptune = 18.0/dollars per sq. ft.

The koningsdam doesn't have as many Neptune suites so the premium will be higher. I'd be curious if this is the same price per square foot on the eurodam or NA.

I would not expect to see any major changes in the Neptune Suites on HAL's older ships. Especially the ones that are currently on the auction block.

I think that HAL is trying to maximize revenues and keep capital spend at at minimum on these ships.

You need to realize that while Holland America offers a good cruise at a good price, HAL is not a luxury cruise line. Booking a Neptune Suite is more about room size than luxurious appointments.

If you want luxury then I suggest that you book a cruise on a luxury cruise line. Too expensive? Then be happy that HAL offers good value.

I disagree with your last statement. HAL has certainly freshened up their product with the Koningsdam.

igraf

I have felt there is l litle real luxury in Neptune suite as evicenced on my last few cruises.

Any suggestions for additions that would make a Nedptune Suiet expeience more luxurious?

I think hey needs to freshen tthe producg wshich has remained unchanged for 20+ YEARS iMO

You need to realize that while Holland America offers a good cruise at a good price, HAL is not a luxury cruise line. Booking a Neptune Suite is more about room size than luxurious appointments.

If you want luxury then I suggest that you book a cruise on a luxury cruise line. Too expensive? Then be happy that HAL offers good value.

I agree. It doesn't take long to compare prices for our upcoming cruise on Holland America to a more luxurious cruise on say Seabourn. Sticker shock is an understatement. Thank goodness for Holland America keeping fare relatively affordable.

I do think luxury is in the mind of the beholder. We're going to order flowers for the suite because that will matter to us. We have certain soaps and shampoos that we prefer so we'll bring them and that will bring that luxury into our suite. This way we get to pick and choose what luxury is there so we're not paying for luxury that we won't perceive at such.

There are limits though. If the chaise lounges on the balcony aren't comfortable that's a problem. It's not like we can bring our own cushions or otherwise arranged for a more comfortable balcony experience. Obviously the same would be true of the mattress on the bed. By the same token it wouldn't be true of the Linens. If we had any concern about the Linens being luxurious enough for the experience we wanted we could just include luxurious Linens of Our Own. That would be a little strange I'm sure but we could do it.

But the reality is the most difficult part of luxury for one to create for themselves is that sense of space that you get from a larger cabin.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I agree. It doesn't take long to compare prices for our upcoming cruise on Holland America to a more luxurious cruise on say Seabourn. Sticker shock is an understatement. Thank goodness for Holland America keeping fare relatively affordable.

I do think luxury is in the mind of the beholder. We're going to order flowers for the suite because that will matter to us. We have certain soaps and shampoos that we prefer so we'll bring them and that will bring that luxury into our suite. This way we get to pick and choose what luxury is there so we're not paying for luxury that we won't perceive at such.

There are limits though. If the chaise lounges on the balcony aren't comfortable that's a problem. It's not like we can bring our own cushions or otherwise arranged for a more comfortable balcony experience. Obviously the same would be true of the mattress on the bed. By the same token it wouldn't be true of the Linens. If we had any concern about the Linens being luxurious enough for the experience we wanted we could just include luxurious Linens of Our Own. That would be a little strange I'm sure but we could do it.

But the reality is the most difficult part of luxury for one to create for themselves is that sense of space that you get from a larger cabin.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I have to agree also. We were upgraded to a Neptune Suite once and we took an upsell once. While it was very enjoyable, we do not spend enough time in our cabin to enjoy the extra space. The Neptune Lounge was nice but we don't drink, so we didn't really need a lounge. We used the concierge for dining reservations but we usually do that in a minute or two online, months before. So, for us, there isn't much bang for the buck.

When reading this thread, I thought maybe I was the only one who thought about bringing my own luxury bath products, etc. I'm particular about my bed linens but I'm perfectly happy with the HAL product.

My husband sometimes mentions trying out other luxury cruiselines but we see no need to spend the money when we are content with the HAL product -- and the price.

We are willing to pay top dollar. But not on HAL because we do not think the comparative value is there for us when we look at one or two other cruise lines.

The only time we would consider one is on an upsell and only the if the price was right. Our TA told us that suites are among the first to sell out on Celebrity and Princess but no so on HAL. She said it is a combo of price and amenities, or lack thereof. Guess that is why there appears to be frequent Ndptune suite upsell offers.

Edited by iancal

I have to agree also. We were upgraded to a Neptune Suite once and we took an upsell once. While it was very enjoyable, we do not spend enough time in our cabin to enjoy the extra space. The Neptune Lounge was nice but we don't drink, so we didn't really need a lounge. We used the concierge for dining reservations but we usually do that in a minute or two online, months before. So, for us, there isn't much bang for the buck.

When reading this thread, I thought maybe I was the only one who thought about bringing my own luxury bath products, etc. I'm particular about my bed linens but I'm perfectly happy with the HAL product.

My husband sometimes mentions trying out other luxury cruiselines but we see no need to spend the money when we are content with the HAL product -- and the price.

In as much the Neptune Lounge is not a bar I’m a bit confused about the connection between drinking and the lounge. Sure they’ve got an honor bar now but that’s really not much different than using the minibar in your cabin. That said our preference for Neptune Suites is mostly driven by the cabin and verandah size not so much the Neptune Lounge or other amenities.

We got a really good deal on a Neptune a few years ago. We got an aft wrap around to go through the Panama Canal. It was fabulous. We loved the Neptune Lounge for snacks, loved the Pinnacle for breakfast. We just loved being in a larger cabin with just enough special attention. Did we need more...um, no. We booked another Neptune for next year and, in my opinion, are paying a lot for it. But we are getting prepaid gratuities and a lot of OBC, so the price becomes somewhat reasonable. Could we cruise in a balcony or signature suite for less. Of course, but if we can do the Neptune every once in a while, why not. We have not sailed the higher priced cruise lines because we love HAL and the low key vibe. We are not fancy people, just regular retired folks. Isn’t that what makes the world great? Not everyone wants or needs the same thing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recent cruise in a standard balcony cabin on Seabourn priced like a Neptune but smaller and better cosmetics, all drinks incl. unlimited caviar but very few cruises from Fl. HAL could give a set up for2 in the cabin and real champagne. Or have a free cocktail hour in the Neptune lounge every night.We would book them in an instant if they had more FL. sailings rather than flying to Barbados.

Recent cruise in a standard balcony cabin on Seabourn priced like a Neptune but smaller and better cosmetics, all drinks incl. unlimited caviar but very few cruises from Fl. HAL could give a set up for2 in the cabin and real champagne. Or have a free cocktail hour in the Neptune lounge every night.We would book them in an instant if they had more FL. sailings rather than flying to Barbados.

good to hear your feed back on Seabourn. Sound like you enjoyed it and thought it was worth the $? Worried about over fussing by staff?

I found that the Neptune cabins are 2X the size of a balcony and 2X the price.

No, I don't have sticker shock at Seabourn. for what I have paid for those Neptunes for decades of HAL cruises, I can sail any cruise line I wish, thankfully, including Seabourn

I wo yld not dream of bringing my own bed linens. :eek: My luggage weighs s too much as it is, I don't want to lug king size bedding with me.

I would not dream of bring ing my own bed linens with me.,, :eek:

Edited by sail7seas

We don't mind others getting real champagne or a free cocktail hour but that leaves us non-drinkers without additional perks.