Can you get a refund for health reasons? Unfortunately no insurance

Calli50

I was wondering if anybody has had any luck getting a refund, even a small amount, for a new serious health issue? Some friends of mine have a cruise next week, and unfortunately one has acutely become very ill. They did not get trip insurance. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

I was wondering if anybody has had any luck getting a refund, even a small amount, for a new serious health issue? Some friends of mine have a cruise next week, and unfortunately one has acutely become very ill. They did not get trip insurance. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Since the trip is paid for, and I'm assuming the "sick" person won't get better in time, and I'm assuming it's not a life or death situation, than the person not sick should go on the cruise, and enjoy themselves, and the unfortunate person, will stay home, get better. Also call to see if you can get a name change and a friend to go instead.

Since the trip is paid for, and I'm assuming the "sick" person won't get better in time, and I'm assuming it's not a life or death situation, than the person not sick should go on the cruise, and enjoy themselves, and the unfortunate person, will stay home, get better. Also call to see if you can get a name change and a friend to go instead.

While I respect your suggestion, if someone important in my life was in this situation I would be their support both emotionally and physically and cancel as well. Relationships with my loved ones are more important to me than money or a cruise. Just one person’s way of living this thing we call life.

While I respect your suggestion, if someone important in my life was in this situation I would be their support both emotionally and physically and cancel as well. Relationships with my loved ones are more important to me than money or a cruise. Just one person’s way of living this thing we call life.

Male half here......told my wife that, if I get sick, she should go...not much point in both of us feeling lousy.......but...she says she'd stay, and that, I guess, is that.

(Of course, if she got sick I wouldn't go either.)

Have your friends call Carnival and see if they can cancel and re-book a different cruise. There is a fee involved, but at least they won't lose all of their money. And, encourage them to get traveler's insurance from now on.

After final payment, with no insurance you will only get refunded taxes and port fees from Carnival. (plus any purchases from excursions or the fun shops) The rest of the fare refund is handled by their 3rd party insurer.

Check your credit card company to see if they can help with anything else.

We always buy the insurance - for a cruise we had to cancel in December we got all $$ back except the cost of the insurance.

Very unlikely there is anything that can be done.

What they will get back is their port fees and taxes and if they prepaid gratuities or any excursions.

I have a credit card that automatically insures any trips I take. Saves me a ton of money on cancellation insurance.

Would you mind sharing which card that is ? If it's allowed. I really need to find a card that offers this as insurance for a family of 5 can get spendy very quickly when paying per trip.

Thank you

After 30 years of marriage, two kids, and multiple issues, we have often enough been on trips on our own. I did state, that if it's not a life or death illness, both myself and my self would send the other on their way. We have many people that can look in or help if needed.

Would you mind sharing which card that is ? If it's allowed. I really need to find a card that offers this as insurance for a family of 5 can get spendy very quickly when paying per trip.

Thank you

I have a capital one venture card which offers trip insurance, rental car insurance and no foreign transaction fees.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

I have had to cancel only 2 days before a Carnival cruise a few years back with no insurance. There was 7 of us. We were told that we would get our port fees back immediately and the refund amount would not be calculated till after the cruise completed based on number of passengers. We did get credit from Carnival for the entire cruise and had 24months to use it. It was transferable to others as long as you filled out proper paperwork. Good Luck

Thank you

Its the Capital One Aspire Cash and it says World on it too at the bottom. I searched for this card for years as I wanted one with no fee, didn't care about the interest rate since I pay it in full monthly and wanted to earn cash back$$. So I end up getting free insurance for every trip and about $700 a year cash back to spend on more cruises!! lol

If it were me, I absolutely would go/send my husband as long as it wasn't someone's final days on earth. In fact I would be pi$$ed if he wasted all that money to tend to me. I have other family that could keep me company while he is gone.

Its strange how people want to get a refund for a cruise when they don't purchase trip insurance. Do they also try to get their car company to pay for an accident when they didn't purchase car insurance?

It sucks, but you have to be an informed consumer and weigh the risks (know the cancellation policies) when you travel. If people could get refunds just days before a cruise without insurance ...first off, nobody would buy insurance and second, tons more people would all of a sudden become "sick" (or use any number of emergencies that come up last minute)

If it were me, I absolutely would go/send my husband as long as it wasn't someone's final days on earth. In fact I would be pi$$ed if he wasted all that money to tend to me. I have other family that could keep me company while he is gone.

I'd want my husband to go as well, but oddly I couldn't. I wouldn't enjoy the trip without him, and worrying about him.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think the best bet is maybe trying to get a future cruise credit. They are looking into the credit card. No way will my friend go by himself with his wife being this ill, just isn’t going to happen. Hopefully this will work out in the end. Thanks again!

Its the Capital One Aspire Cash and it says World on it too at the bottom. I searched for this card for years as I wanted one with no fee, didn't care about the interest rate since I pay it in full monthly and wanted to earn cash back$$. So I end up getting free insurance for every trip and about $700 a year cash back to spend on more cruises!! lol

Thank you so much for doing the research for me !! Sounds like exactly what I need. I will look into it tomorrow.:)

If the credit card doesn't offer automatic travel insurance, then it's worth a try to call & try to rebook for a later date. There could be change fees, but still better than losing everything paid. We had to delay our family trip by over a year. It took over an hour on the phone, but we were able to get the four cabins rebooked. The problem we ran into on our credit card insurance is that it only covered us and children under 25 or 26. Unfortunately, the child in question was 29.