Is there one thing you miss about cruising that they don't do anymore?

Peachypooh

I miss the steel drum bands and consistent upbeat Caribbean themed music at the pool. I'm sure they are catering to different tastes in music, but I still miss that big time. l

I could not agree more, the deck activities just are not the same without them. It just put the good vibes in the air and made for a good-time

What do I miss? I miss the days when Cruise Critic was something more than:

--What are they rules, and how can I break them?

--I know of one exception, so therefore you must be wrong.

--I'm unhappy, it is someone else's fault, and I want compensation.

It is always about how it was "better in the past"...

The idiom that familiarity breeds contempt is an old one. It means that the more comfortable one becomes with something the more likely they are to see the flaws in that thing. For instance, a person's feelings about a particular thing can go from optimistic, to complacent, to spiteful without that particular thing changing at all. The day to day proximity to the thing results in a person's mind looking for ways to keep it interesting.

The idea that "familiarity breeds contempt" or "the honeymoon is over" or "the sheen is off of the apple" has been around a long time. Things often don't "seem" to be as good as they were "in the beginning". When you took your first cruise, everything was new. Now you know what to expect, you know the routine, and it isn't new and exciting as it once was.

We hear a lot of anectdotal evidence that things are different, but no examples, no facts, no evidence. Interesting that despite the fact that this is just a fact of the human condition, we have a hard time admitting that things just might not be as bad as they "seem".

I guess nothing beats the "good old days".

12_-_3arp0tf.gif

"on that same note, being able to explore ports (specially in the Caribbean) that were not Americanized, overly commercialized, and overrun with chain stores."

Several posters have mentioned this and I very much agree with this.

Cruising has only improved since my first cruise. It was a transatlantic in 1965. My dad and I slept in bunk beds in a room shared with a bunch of strangers. No in-room bathroom.

I also don’t miss the singing waiters on my last RCCL cruise (2001)

I can’t really think of anything I really miss

i miss the early or late seating and the same table, waiters, etc. and the waiters all dancing into the dining room and the baked Alaska. I also miss having a small orchestra playing ballroom style music and ballroom dancing. Such fond memories!

The Breakaway and guess the other Away class do have the music and dance floor. As for the seating situation, I am glad to see that gone. I love the relaxed atmosphere of Freestyle. and the dancing waiters, etc, at first i missed it, now I am used to the modern way and like it better.

Though I LOVE freestyle cruising, I miss getting to know my waiters at dinner. I also miss the staff who would come around with drinks, cold towels and fruit! "Hello ma'am would you like a welcome aboard drink? "

We don't miss the $1000 bar tabs though and no air conditioning in the terminal!

Cruising has changed for the positive for me, for one thing its far more affordable as I can do it more often to complain about it more often!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

i miss the early or late seating and the same table, waiters, etc. and the waiters all dancing into the dining room and the baked Alaska. I also miss having a small orchestra playing ballroom style music and ballroom dancing. Such fond memories!

Blondie .... you can still get all this on Carnival (perhaps not the baked alaska) or on Princess. Just sign up for assigned dining!

Horse racing with dice and betting by the pool![emoji106]🤞

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I absolutely do not understand why they did away with the horse races. I don't know of anyone that didn't enjoy them or at least anyone who complained. The event wasn't that long, was a money maker for the ship and so much fun. :p:loudcry:

Going on my first carnival cruise in March. Sounds like they are going for a diner vibe??? I'm shocked at no table clothes but maybe we won't notice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s only on casual nights. Elegant nights still have tablecloths. But honestly, it’s no big deal. They upgraded the tables and they are very pretty. And the change helps save the environment, which is much more important, don’t you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums