Exclusive lounges = elitism?

Jchivers

You might be surprised. Celebrity have been developing and improving their vision of suite life for a few years now and charging accordingly.

If you compare suite pricing against genuine 6* luxury lines Celebrity can actually look poor value.

That said, there are a lot of factors to consider. I looked at Seabourn because it's an all suite ship and looked better value than Celebrity on some similar itineraries. But... I then visited a couple of ports where I saw Seabourn passengers enjoying their excursions. It became immediately apparent to me that I'll enjoy sailing on that line 20 to 25 years from now and I fully intend too! So as I said above, there are several considerations such as demographics etc.

Seabourn is not all suites. Most of them are larger cabins, but not separate rooms. We were in a "suite" on the Odyssey, most of them are about 280 sq ft. Check out their website for the floor plans. It was okay, but I personally prefer the Celebrity suite life....trust me, 6 star luxury lines is a slight joke.

There is no magic involved in staffing - Celebrity has made a conscious business decision to decrease the staff to customer ratio in the MDR just as they made the decision to reduce cabin steward staffing. It would have happened regardless of Blu and Luminae.

Exactly. I sailed in suites before Luminae and the staff cutbacks were already happening then. Our last dinner in the MDR before the Luminae roll-out, we saw two sommeliers for the entire dining room, and they certainly didn't spend all their time with us because we were in a suite.

We don't book suites for the amenities but for the space. We are usually using the ship as a destination and not the ports. The additional amenities happened to be a nice perk. If I were on a port-intensive cruise, I'd have no problem switching to a lower level room.

I guess "the grass is always greener" is always true for some people. Michael's Club is nice but very often empty on the itineraries we sail. Luminae is great as a specialty dining substitute but you could easily make do with a dining package in the specialty restaurants if you didn't want the MDR or buffet. The theater entertainment on Celebrity is so bad that the "priority seating" is probably more of a punishment than a reward.

On the current ships, I think Celebrity has done a good job of not creating a class system. I rarely know what type of room anyone is in unless I see them in Luminae or MC. Everything else is shared space for anyone onboard. Time will tell as to whether the coming updates will change that equation. They have lots of dead spaces on each ship, so a good design could make it barely noticeable.

Seabourn is not all suites. Most of them are larger cabins, but not separate rooms. We were in a "suite" on the Odyssey, most of them are about 280 sq ft. Check out their website for the floor plans. It was okay, but I personally prefer the Celebrity suite life....trust me, 6 star luxury lines is a slight joke.

This is a great answer as to "why sail Celebrity if you're already paying so much?" Those luxury lines can leave a lot to be desired when it comes to size. Service and dining can be top-notch, but that doesn't always make up for being in a small room on a ship in which there is very little to do.

The ships I looked at were 'all suite'. Their words not mine.

Or are you suggesting that a single room marketed as a 'suite' is not a real suite like the 250 sq ft to 300 sq ft Celebrity sky 'suites'? :)

The ships I looked at were 'all suite'. Their words not mine.

Or are you suggesting that a single room marketed as a 'suite' is not a real suite like the 250 sq ft to 300 sq ft Celebrity sky 'suites'? :)

The definition of a suite is a group of rooms to be used together. Technically a sky suite does not qualify. On our upcoming Australia cruise we were in a sky suite, but upgraded to a royal suite at the last minute. We like the space.

You can, or should I say the cruise line can call their cabins anything they want. The standard cabin on Seabourn...we were in a category B. It was one room with a sitting area. The room was nice, but by definition it was not a true suite. There are very few of them. The ship was rather boring, the typical female passenger had too much plastic surgery. The best food was in casual dining room. The main one was average at best. I would give their "suites" a B at best.

I did a mock booking on Seaborn for a 2 week Australia cruise, ours is 16 days. It was $9,999 plus $550 port taxes per person..this was their lowest level cabin on deck 6. No perks. According to my math it is a little over $21000 for two people with no perks.

We did not pay anything close to that, and have all 4 perks, plus unlimited speciality dining. I think this is a no brainer.

Edited by Merriem

The definition of a suite is a group of rooms to be used together. Technically a sky suite does not qualify. On our upcoming Australia cruise we were in a sky suite, but upgraded to a royal suite at the last minute. We like the space.

You can, or should I say the cruise line can call their cabins anything they want. The standard cabin on Seabourn...we were in a category B. It was one room with a sitting area. The room was nice, but by definition it was not a true suite. There are very few of them. The ship was rather boring, the typical female passenger had too much plastic surgery. The best food was in casual dining room. The main one was average at best. I would give their "suites" a B at best.

totally agree , also 250 sq feet is small for a suite, we have a true suite later this year it is double that size and balcony is size of a sky suite, but I remember sailing in cabins half the size of sky suite and having a great cruise

It's probably not specific to Celebrity, but I'll use them as the example: if you pay for a certain category of room you get access to restaurants or lounges that are off limits to the other passengers.

Does this rub anyone else the wrong way?

I have no problem with paying more for a room or a meal and getting a better room/meal....but getting the privilege of not having to share a space with your fellow passengers bugs me a little. Am I the only one?

Yet another thread on this topic? Suites vs non-suites. Class system. Design of Edge suite area. It has all been thoroughly and endlessly discussed on these boards.

Interesting. I have several friends and acquaintances who routinely book Aqua cabins or suites. They do not book such cabins because they’re elitist people who think the rest of us are the unwashed masses from whom they must sequester themselves. Rather, they want (and are able and willing to pay for), complimentary access to Persian Gardens, or a more spacious cabin, or a smaller, quieter dining venue, or they enjoy hosting social gatherings in their suites (some of which I’ve had the pleasure of attending). Those of us who do not book those classes save a fat lot of money, some of which we can use to dine in a smaller, quieter venue such as Murano if we wish to do so.

This is nothing like the Titanic (though I’m sure you were at least partially joking with that analogy) and we passengers are definitely not steerage class. Not even close. My father served in the US Navy and my Grandfather served in the USMC. Trust me, I recall their stories about “cabins” and “amenities” available to them enroute to Korea and China, respectively, whenever I enter my posh veranda cabin, and I feel quite grateful for what I have.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sort of like "Modern Luxury".

I did a mock booking on Seaborn for a 2 week Australia cruise, ours is 16 days. It was $9,999 plus $550 port taxes per person..this was their lowest level cabin on deck 6. No perks. According to my math it is a little over $21000 for two people with no perks.

We did not pay anything close to that, and have all 4 perks, plus unlimited speciality dining. I think this is a no brainer.

Indeed, but things could get very complicated if people were expected to discuss 'non suite sky suites'.

I've seen some similar Seabourn itineraries for similar sky suite prices previously. Some were even cheaper. Hence my original comment.

Indeed, but things could get very complicated if people were expected to discuss 'non suite sky suites'.

I've seen some similar Seabourn itineraries for similar sky suite prices previously. Some were even cheaper. Hence my original comment.

Like non suite seabourn ALL SUITE. Have a nice day. Need to get packed for Australia.

This whole discussion is based on an incorrect assertion that some passengers are getting something unavailable to others. That is not true since anyone can have these benefits. They just need to pay for them. If you want 1st class benefits then pay for 1st class. Too much of CC is about people wanting things for free or for less than anyone else. Acres of discussion on angling for an upgrade, an OBC for some perceived slight or some cruise line grovelling because the weather wasn’t perfect during the low season.

Don’t book a stateroom if it’s not the one you will be happy to stay in. If you don’t like the food served in a restaurant then don’t eat there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got your numbers the first time. If you don't know the relevance of the price of the cruise I doubt I could explain it to you. The cost of some of your perks was built into your cruise fare. Unless they're stupid, the only people who would book without the 4 perks are people who don't drink ( or don't drink much) don't use wi-fi or already have these things included because of their loyalty status. It's just playing with numbers.

I totally understand you too and for those that don’t, it’s exactly what Celebrity want and the game they are playing.

Phil

This whole discussion is based on an incorrect assertion that some passengers are getting something unavailable to others. That is not true since anyone can have these benefits. They just need to pay for them. If you want 1st class benefits then pay for 1st class. Too much of CC is about people wanting things for free or for less than anyone else. Acres of discussion on angling for an upgrade, an OBC for some perceived slight or some cruise line grovelling because the weather wasn’t perfect during the low season.

Don’t book a stateroom if it’s not the one you will be happy to stay in. If you don’t like the food served in a restaurant then don’t eat there.

I agree.

We have a Nissan and a Honda. Some people have a Mercedes and and Audi

It is all about choices and where you choose to spend your money.

Nothing about being elite. I am just happy we can travel and enjoy ourselves.

Exactly. You get what you’ve paid for...

I have no problem with paying more for a room or a meal and getting a better room/meal....but getting the privilege of not having to share a space with your fellow passengers bugs me a little. Am I the only one?

I always say, the nicest thing about flying first class isn't the more comfortable seat, or the superior service. It's simply knowing that you're better than everyone else!;p

I believe that you get what you pay for- so if the guest is willing to pay significantly more for a suite- they deserve the perks-

Perhaps the suite guests are helping to keep the costs down for your inside, oceanview or balcony cabins. I would say that those people in suites help subsidize those in lesser accommodations.

I believe that you get what you pay for- so if the guest is willing to pay significantly more for a suite- they deserve the perks-

Perhaps the suite guests are helping to keep the costs down for your inside, oceanview or balcony cabins. I would say that those people in suites help subsidize those in lesser accommodations.

Interesting comment.