Hand sanitizer or soap &a water?

Optotronics

which do you use when going to the dining room or buffet?

I've never used the hand sanitizer because of the stickiness afterwards and the hormone disrupters.

Until just moments ago I thought both were effect against norovirus.

I was wrong, CDC says alcohol based hand sanitizer will help prevent the spread of the flu virus, but are "largely ineffective against norovirus and it's better to use soap and water.

Kinda scary because I notice very few who take the time to wash with soap and water and dry with paper towels...maybe like 10%.

Hi, Even here at home I wash with soap and water every time I come in the house from any errand outside.

On the ship I try to wash with soap and water every time I enter our cabin.

So far we have not gotten sick on any of our cruises,

Soap and water is by far the best. There are some commercially available wipes that are active against viruses, Honestly, the best answer is probably to wash before you go to dinner and then to wash again after you handle the menu to order. While some lines wipe off all menus, I doubt that even they use a product that will kill both most bacteria and viruses. You have no idea how many people have handled that menu and where else their hands have been.

A lesser alternative is to wash well before leaving the cabin and then use a hand wipe (not sanitizer, but a physical wipe containing product) after the menu. While it is true that you can become ill from one viral particle, it is also true that the lower the bacterial or viral load, the less the chance of causing illness.

There are people who wipe down all cabin surfaces, airline seats, tray tables, etc. and there are those who trust the room steward to do it. But no matter what, you are responsible for your own hand washing. This is your best protection against diseases that are transmitted by hand to mouth contamination.

Soap and water is by far the best. There are some commercially available wipes that are active against viruses' date=' Honestly, the best answer is probably to wash before you go to dinner and then to wash again after you handle the menu to order. While some lines wipe off all menus, I doubt that even they use a product that will kill both most bacteria and viruses. You have no idea how many people have handled that menu and where else their hands have been.

A lesser alternative is to wash well before leaving the cabin and then use a hand wipe (not sanitizer, but a physical wipe containing product) after the menu. While it is true that you can become ill from one viral particle, it is also true that the lower the bacterial or viral load, the less the chance of causing illness.

There are people who wipe down all cabin surfaces, airline seats, tray tables, etc. and there are those who trust the room steward to do it. But no matter what, you are responsible for your own hand washing. This is your best protection against diseases that are transmitted by hand to mouth contamination.[/quote']

Good point! I've learned to never touch my eyes nose or mouth to prevent getting sick. I'm not a germaphob, but do take lots of care when onboard.

We will need to find some kind of hand-wipes for after the menu.

I'll also ask the matre d', maybe they do take the precaution of wiping them after each use.

Good point! I've learned to never touch my eyes nose or mouth to prevent getting sick. I'm not a germaphob, but do take lots of care when onboard.

We will need to find some kind of hand-wipes for after the menu.

I'll also ask the matre d', maybe they do take the precaution of wiping them after each use.

Exactly, we all need to find that line between reasonable precautions and making yourself crazy.

which do you use when going to the dining room or buffet?

I've never used the hand sanitizer because of the stickiness afterwards and the hormone disrupters.

Until just moments ago I thought both were effect against norovirus.

I was wrong, CDC says alcohol based hand sanitizer will help prevent the spread of the flu virus, but are "largely ineffective against norovirus and it's better to use soap and water.

Kinda scary because I notice very few who take the time to wash with soap and water and dry with paper towels...maybe like 10%.

You really have no way of knowing who washed and who didn't. We have mostly had early dining and leave directly from our cabin after changing clothes. We both wash well with soap and water (we do it several times a day) and then go straight to dinner. I use my knuckle to press elevator buttons. Once at the dining room we also use the hand sanitizer. We are fully aware that it doesn't stop noro but it's good to do anyway.

I scrub my hands with soap and water in a restroom, then head to the buffet and use the sanitizer as well. Working in a 4th grade classroom, I wash my hands with soap and water at least every hour...and I'm home sick with a bad cold and bronchitis. Second time this school year! Must be airborne bugs. Can't win.

I was wrong, CDC says alcohol based hand sanitizer will help prevent the spread of the flu virus, but are "largely ineffective against norovirus .

OLD subject these boards. Simple answer, not enough alcohol to do the job. Fill a bucket with the goop and put your hands in there for minimum of 5 minutes to accomplish anything. THEY WON'T BE "CLEAN" but most bacteria and virus will be killed. 15 seconds of wet bleach does the job, but you skin can't handle it

If you ever ate meals with us you would know that the answer is soap and water. Before and after getting his plate at a buffet, my DH washes his hands. At MDR or similar, he will use the menu and then order and when done, go and wash his hands before eating the meal. He has done this for years. He even has me doing it a lot of times too!!! Seems to work for him .

Pooh

Anyone who washes less than I do is rude and disgusting. Anyone washing more than I do is obsessive/compulsive! (Attempt at humor.)

I wash with soap and water (hot if the public restrooms deliver it hot) immediately before I go in for a meal, and then I use the hand sanitizer at the entrance. That is it, until I wash after the meal.

I do not wash again after I touch the menu, the flatware, the dishes, etc. And I do not sterilize my cabin.

I probably wash my hands about 15 times a day.

I use antibacterial soap (that we bring with us on every cruise) and water.

DH uses the liquid hand sanitizer they have outside the dining venues.

If you're worried about Noro, you can always get Noro Virus wipes. We use them on the plane surfaces and on the cabin surfaces but I suppose you could use them on your hands too but they might dry them out:

https://www.amazon.com/Saalfeld-30824-Healthcare-Disinfectant-Norovirus/dp/B01MU9QV9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519955928&sr=8-1&keywords=clorox+norovirus+wipes

Soap and water best. I use both.

Typical gel sanitizers are not effective against Noro, but some of the commercial ones are effective.

I believe that the type used on cruise ships are effective against Noro and are not the same as the ones we typically get at the store. Just like some of the hospital sanitizers are different than the ones sold in typical stores.

Soap and water best. I use both.

Typical gel sanitizers are not effective against Noro, but some of the commercial ones are effective.

I believe that the type used on cruise ships are effective against Noro and are not the same as the ones we typically get at the store. Just like some of the hospital sanitizers are different than the ones sold in typical stores.

Someone post (a couple of years ago?) that the hand sanitizer used on ships is the kind that works on Noro.

BTW: for those who wash with antibacterial soap...be aware that it doesn't kill viruses. A completely different critter. The mechanical act of washing will have more effect on a virus than the soap.

Someone post (a couple of years ago?) that the hand sanitizer used on ships is the kind that works on Noro.

Never seen anything other than the Purel type. Some ships have removed them due to the "false sense of security". Any anti viral agent would have to be "wet" on hands so long or so strong it would damage skin

The only way to kill it is with rigorous soap and hot water washing.

However, whenever I board a ship I automatically assume I have Noro on my person.

Therefore I do not pick up and eat any food with my hands - including bread rolls!

Same same for ice cream cones or pizza. I eat ice cream with the paper wrap and pizza with a knife & fork.

I consider myself a Noro carrier thus if I need to be put out and cannot eat whatever the food is, there is always another food choice.

Elf Logic and research has taught me that the only way a passenger can protect themselves from Noro is with rigorous washing with soap and hot water.

However, whenever I board a ship I automatically assume that not everyone is aware of how Noro transfers from person to person.

The only way Noro gets into the human body is by our own hands.

Thus I act as if I have Noro on my person. Therefore I do not pick up and eat any food with my hands - including bread rolls!

Same same for ice cream cones or pizza. I eat ice cream with the paper wrap, pizza with a knife & fork. I consider myself a Noro carrier thus if I need to be put out and cannot eat whatever the food is, there is always another food choice.

I also do the hand towel regimen in the bathroom - I count to 30 while I wash and after drying my hands I use a fresh towel to open the door.

Never been crook so far ... fingers crossed.