Caribbean Princess Propulsion Problems? True or Fixed?

JUST CRUZIN

I have read some recent reviews where port times and itinerary’s have been changed due to propulsion problems on the Caribbean Princess. I would assume something like that would be fixed quickly but it seems to have affected several sailings. Anyone have any input where the problem has been corrected? Thanks

I was on the Caribbean Princess in January on a 14 day cruise and yes it’s true. Amber Cover has been canceled on the January 26, 2019 cruise also.(for a sea day) It will be leaving Aruba earlier then scheduled to get back to Florida. Because of the problem each person received $50.00 OBC for the 2018 cruise. For the cruise in 2019 it’s the same a $50.00 P.P. OBC. I think it’s called a Good Will OBC??

Tony

It's not something you'll notice on board the ship. Princess has already adjusted the itineraries on the cruises for the coming year. What you see on the website is what you should get.

Why would anyone think it has been fixed since Princess has said it won't be until next drydock?

Perhaps someone who does not spend every waking hour following Princess news?

Kind of a snarky response

We were told that the repairs are a major effort and will take about 4 weeks. Princess had a choice, they could cancel already schedule cruises to make enough time for the repairs or the could schedule it after the current scheduled cruises. They decided not to cancel cruises that were already accepting booking.

I have read some recent reviews where port times and itinerary’s have been changed due to propulsion problems on the Caribbean Princess. I would assume something like that would be fixed quickly but it seems to have affected several sailings. Anyone have any input where the problem has been corrected? Thanks

Major dry dock repair, not a quick fix. Has something to do with the electrical windings that drives one on the shafts. Ship's current max speed is around 18 knots. Normal max speed is around 22 knots.

I only knew about the issue from ship reviews that mentioned the bad effects on the passengers as well as the itinerary. I recently signed on to the 4/11 sailing for just about free. So I can’t kick anyway. :p

Several years ago, when I used to sail on Celebrity, there was a similar problem with one of their ships. It was a major repair and had to have a large hole cut into the hull of the ship to replace a bus sized object. I don’t remember if it was a gas turbine engine or diesel engine.

When were you made aware of this "good will" OBC? We are booked on the Caribbean Princess and haven't heard a word about this from Princess.

We are sailing in less than two weeks; I believe we were notified of the itinerary change last Fall. I called Princess after reading several threads about the "goodwill OBC" and received it immediately.

Perhaps it depends on the changes. We booked the 14-day Circle Caribbean and had Amber Cove replaced with a sea day, Antigua & Trinidad "flip flopped" and time changes for St. Thomas and Aruba. If your itinerary didn't change, you won't likely see any "goodwill." By the way, I just found the notice I got from Princess dated last August...so we got quite a bit of advance warning.

Got it...so since we only booked a couple of months before the cruise' date=' we likely are not eligible. The port changes would have been made before we booked.[/quote']

Correct. You booked the new itinerary so no changes in ports for you. We got the goodwill last January since we had booked a year earlier. Our friend booked in October and didn’t get the goodwill since they got the ports they booked

Would the propulsion problems cause any issues sailing through rough waters? The Caribbean Princess will be sailing from Ft. Lauderdale right through hurricane season. I just book the August 4th sailing and wondered why we arrived in St. Thomas at noon. I've done this itinerary many times and the last few years its been 7 am ish to 10 pm.

Would the propulsion problems cause any issues sailing through rough waters? The Caribbean Princess will be sailing from Ft. Lauderdale right through hurricane season. I just book the August 4th sailing and wondered why we arrived in St. Thomas at noon. I've done this itinerary many times and the last few years its been 7 am ish to 10 pm.
We were on the Regal Princess last month doing the same islands in your itinerary. We arrived at St. Thomas at 10 a.m., so just two and a half hours ahead of what the CB is supposed to do.

As for hurricanes, the captain will steer the ship away from any storms. We were on the Ruby Princess during Hurricane Bertha in 2014. We missed our stop at Princess Cays because Bertha was heading toward it. We had a perfectly smooth cruise a couple of hundred miles away.

I am sailing Feb 2019 and my travel agent sent me an email last month saying I would get it. I logged into my account and my wife and I both received it in our credit file in cruise personalizer