RCI Pizza

To follow up and comments about cruise pizza. Here is the real issue. Ships are not designed to make real Neapolitan pizza. Real Neapolitan pizza has a very thin crust, the dough is prepared fresh every day. The pizza uses fresh mozzarella cheese, no other type of cheese is acceptable. The pizza is cooked in wood fired brick oven and served piping hot and not allowed to sit around. When you eat great pizza it should almost burn the roof of your mouth when you first bite into it. The pizza on a cruise ship is there for a cheap or free snack. Do not compare it to real freshly made pizza you would get in an old Italian town such as the one I grew up in. Electric ovens dry out the crust quickly and having it sit around and get warmed up when you order it is just not the way to eat great pizza. Unless the cruise ship is willing to cook this way you will never get great or even good pizza.

Princess makes a great pizza!

Nice range of opinions here, so I'll chip in with mine.

Its distinctly better than microwaved pizza -- I'd never choose to eat that.

Its distinctly worse than the pizza we had in Italy last month.

Its perfectly edible as a poolside snack or with a beer, and it seems to taste a whole lot better at the end of an evening.

^^^This is exactly my opinion too. I loooove pizza and I must say that this is one area that Carnival has RCL beat, IMO. Loyal to Royal otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

^^^This is exactly my opinion too. I loooove pizza and I must say that this is one area that Carnival has RCL beat, IMO. Loyal to Royal otherwise.

Carnival has the best pizza on board! I’ve had ncl and royal and there is no comparison imo!

Comparing Royal's pizza to CiCi's or Little Caesar's is an insult to CiCi's & Little Caesar's.

It's more like the pizza they sell at the gas station on the corner.

Thats a insult to gas station pizza

No idea about MSC, I’ve only ever cruised Carnival and RCL. Unless you mean something else with the “MSC,” such as mainstream cruise line.

MSC is the gold standard now, are a mainstream cruise line with some f the best pricing on cruises but not for everyone

MSC is the gold standard now, are a mainstream cruise line with some f the best pricing on cruises but not for everyone

I assumed the post was referring to MSC, the cruise line, but I wasn’t sure. Never been on them.

I have read to many reviews to never sail the Gold Standard of Cruise Lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by tugboat

Thank you for giving 7/11 pizza the respect it deserves. Sure it's terrible, but it's also delicious. If that make any sense

Its a guilty pleasure. Its the same way i feel a white castle. They are soooo gross, but amazing at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You mean Michigan? The state that is superior to Ohio in every way?

Was that meant to be sarcastic? :')I can think of a certain game that involves a pigskin that the team from up north hasn't been very good at lately.

Edited by Reds4life

Last year on Allure I thought the pizza was horrid. It tasted like it had fake cheese and was just terrible.

In January of this year on Allure, I saw many people eating it and decided to try it again. It was 1000% better. It certainly wasn't the best I've had, but so much better than it was. There is no longer a section of the pizzeria that allows you to choose your own pan sized pizza.

That area is now either a salad location or a panini station depending upon which day of the cruise. We are going on Allure in June and I know I will try it again.

Was that meant to be sarcastic? :')I can think of a certain game that involves a pigskin that the team from up north hasn't been very good at lately.

Michigan is a much better school. Always has been always will be.

To follow up and comments about cruise pizza. Here is the real issue. Ships are not designed to make real Neapolitan pizza. Real Neapolitan pizza has a very thin crust, the dough is prepared fresh every day. The pizza uses fresh mozzarella cheese, no other type of cheese is acceptable. The pizza is cooked in wood fired brick oven and served piping hot and not allowed to sit around. When you eat great pizza it should almost burn the roof of your mouth when you first bite into it. The pizza on a cruise ship is there for a cheap or free snack. Do not compare it to real freshly made pizza you would get in an old Italian town such as the one I grew up in. Electric ovens dry out the crust quickly and having it sit around and get warmed up when you order it is just not the way to eat great pizza. Unless the cruise ship is willing to cook this way you will never get great or even good pizza.

So, just disembarked my first carnival cruise. Their pizza was amazing! They made individual pies in a pizza oven that was not wood burning but did the trick! They used San marzano crushed tomato sauce

Or a garlic and olive oil sauce. They served all pies with fresh mozzarella and did a four cheese that was to die for. But here's the kicker, they had prosciutto and arugula pie that I can't even get at home. All on fresh made, Hand tossed pizza crusts. Amazing!! It is possible...

Have to agree with this. Even the most loyal to Royal fans out there would say Carnival's pizza is better than Royal's.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

Yes, I agree - Carnival's hand tossed pizza is excellent. To repeat something a clever person posted comparing the pizza in the past...Carnival's pizza is to die for, and Royal's pizza will kill you.:eek:

Judy

WHOA! I've only read page 1 but I am shocked at the horrible reviews! Guess I don't have to worry about gaining too much weight because that would be my only krytonite as far as junk goes. I was thinking I'd go to Sorrentos at least a few times. I just got off the Carnival Breeze and their pizza was pretty good. Not amazing, not cringe worthy, but definitely went a few times - once was even while other places were still open lol.

WHOA! I've only read page 1 but I am shocked at the horrible reviews! Guess I don't have to worry about gaining too much weight because that would be my only krytonite as far as junk goes. I was thinking I'd go to Sorrentos at least a few times. I just got off the Carnival Breeze and their pizza was pretty good. Not amazing, not cringe worthy, but definitely went a few times - once was even while other places were still open lol.

People’s definition of good pizza [emoji487] is so subjective...Depending on where they were raised. I posted earlier that Sorrentos pizza to me was like frozen pizza. But, I still eat it a few times a cruise...It’s not that awful for me to avoid it. As for not gaining weight!

I find it hard not to gain weight on a cruise...All the food...All the choices. Some ships have done Mongolia BBQ in the Windjammer on one night...I always eat more than I should. Now if I could just find some good chicken wings...I’d be in there.

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

People’s definition of good pizza [emoji487] is so subjective...Depending on where they were raised. I posted earlier that Sorrentos pizza to me was like frozen pizza. But, I still eat it a few times a cruise...It’s not that awful for me to avoid it. As for not gaining weight!

I find it hard not to gain weight on a cruise...All the food...All the choices. Some ships have done Mongolia BBQ in the Windjammer on one night...I always eat more than I should. Now if I could just find some good chicken wings...I’d be in there.

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

Yes, I agree. So many people are close minded when it comes to pizza and think it all has to be a certain way. However, if they thought of it as food, then they could fairly say if it was good or bad. In all my years, there's only been one time I've witnessed a New Yorker say how good a Chicago pizzeria was. He was truthful in saying he was biased but wanted to try this popular place. He admitted it was not what NY pizza is like, but as food it was excellent!

I don't think that is the case for most of these reviews though, I think people are actually saying this food is nasty lol.