RCI Pizza

What a weird thing to say. It's more an American pizza than anything in Europe. What would be the basis for it being more European, given the line, the ships and everything else are American based?

Thank you!!!

Because most of the European pizzas I've had have similar crust/cheese, just higher quality and not pre-made/frozen crust. I think it's the cheese mostly that makes me think of it that way. It's an opinion, I can have mine, you can have yours :)

In Europe?

Most of the ones I've seen/had in Europe have had thinner crusts, less cheese, and much better quality and diverse toppings to name just some differences.

The RCL comes across as just their version of the standard American one, particularly with the crust thickness, cheese type and amount and toppings being very American.

Comparing Royal's pizza to CiCi's or Little Caesar's is an insult to CiCi's & Little Caesar's.

It's more like the pizza they sell at the gas station on the corner.

Absolutely agree with the insult to CiCi's & Little Caesar's, and still think some of the gas station pizza looks better than Royal...

Thanks to all for the information. I agree that it's hard to enjoy pizza if it doesn't have a great crust. Little Caesar's Hot and Ready tastes like premade to me while I know that Papa John's and Domino's is fresh dough. Maybe they should franchise it out like Starbucks does coffee if it is that bad. Sounds like RCI at best is similar to a popular gas station pizza around here called Hunt Brothers. Again, we appreciate the replies.

I find the RCI perfectly ok to eat, especially late in the evening when there are few other choices. I don't find it special or as good as ones I have eaten on Princess.

One thing I learnt from this thread is that there are wide ranging tastes so looks like RCI would find it a challenge to keep everyone happy.

One thing I learnt from this thread is that there are wide ranging tastes so looks like RCI would find it a challenge to keep everyone happy.

While it would sure be hard to keep /everyone/ happy, it's true as you even acknowledge that other lines like Princess can do it better.

IMO, that's what it comes down to: making a decent product that many like rather than something unattainable. Unfortunately, it appears to be close to 'they don't care' standard at the moment.

Since I wasn't expecting anything other than a pizza on a ship it was fine. I had several pieces and didn't die, didn't throw up, didn 't overreact and say it was the worst thing I've ever eaten. It was something that filled a void at the time and I would do it again.

We all have our opinions and mine is the only one that matters to me.

Had a couple of slices on 2 different occasions during the day without any liquor in me last month and it was fine. The one thing noted in this thread that I do like is the idea of using fresh crust The breads/buns are excellent but I could see the massive undertaking to make all fresh pizza dough all the time.

I do not know if this makes a difference, but there is a Sorrentos on the Liberty. My husband describes the pizza at Sorrentos as a notch above Cafe Promenade. He describes the pizza at Sorrentos as "edible."

For me, the best thing about the pizza on the Liberty was that it was a few doors down from the Hoof and Claw.

My wife and I would end our evenings at the Hoof and Claw when Derek Lewis was there, and I would invariably find myself at midnight strolling over to Sorrento's to get a few slices for each of us to go with our drinks.

Steve

the pizza is on par with the burger in Windjammer .... about as uninspired as you could imagine .....

the one saving grace for the 'za is if you go when things are busy, and have to wait for it, you may get a hot slice with stringy cheeze .... otherwise it reminds me of a frozen pie ...... and not a GOOD frozen at that.

I have seen some not so flattering reviews of RCI pizza from the Cafe Promenade. I'm curious where it would rate among popular pizza chains. Is it comparable to maybe Little Caesar's Hot and Ready? Possibly a step up? Just trying to get a feel for what to expect. We're pizza people so we'll definitely try it good or bad.

I wouldn’t even feed it to my dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live in NYC. I also eat pizza at least 3 times a week, about 5 during the Summer. I also like frozen pizza, from certain brands, when prepared in the oven. I cannot really take pizza from anywhere other than NY seriously. That should say something about my pizza tastes.

Having said all that, I don't necessarily mind RCI pizza. It would not be my first choice for food, but its likely the option i would take over their sandwiches in Sorrento. Now, THOSE are terrible.

As a Michigander I find the hate for Little Cesar’s appalling.

I’d say the CiCis comparison spot on. It gets the job done. My wife and I always seem to find ourselves there just before bed for 2 slices each night.

Little Sleazers is from that state up North? Add them to the hate list with Meijer.

If it's been out for a while and is no longer hot, it's terrible. If you can get it when it's hot, it's almost tolerable.

That sums is up for me too, though I can't remember if I mentioned it in this rendition of the topic,. the made or order pizza from the Oasis class Sorrento really approaches good.

I have seen some not so flattering reviews of RCI pizza from the Cafe Promenade. I'm curious where it would rate among popular pizza chains. Is it comparable to maybe Little Caesar's Hot and Ready? Possibly a step up? Just trying to get a feel for what to expect. We're pizza people so we'll definitely try it good or bad.

I rate it a 10 out of 10

To follow up and comments about cruise pizza. Here is the real issue. Ships are not designed to make real Neapolitan pizza. Real Neapolitan pizza has a very thin crust, the dough is prepared fresh every day. The pizza uses fresh mozzarella cheese, no other type of cheese is acceptable. The pizza is cooked in wood fired brick oven and served piping hot and not allowed to sit around. When you eat great pizza it should almost burn the roof of your mouth when you first bite into it. The pizza on a cruise ship is there for a cheap or free snack. Do not compare it to real freshly made pizza you would get in an old Italian town such as the one I grew up in. Electric ovens dry out the crust quickly and having it sit around and get warmed up when you order it is just not the way to eat great pizza. Unless the cruise ship is willing to cook this way you will never get great or even good pizza.

I would say it is like buying a frozen "store brand" pizza from a grocery store. It is horrible. They have the worst pizza of any cruise line we have been on. Celebrity and Princess are WAY better

Thanks goodness I am not a pizza person, so I don't really care. But on Royal, no matter how much I would like a piece of pizza, I won't get one, just not worth the calories for such a lousy piece of pizza

To follow up and comments about cruise pizza. Here is the real issue. Ships are not designed to make real Neapolitan pizza. Real Neapolitan pizza has a very thin crust, the dough is prepared fresh every day. The pizza uses fresh mozzarella cheese, no other type of cheese is acceptable. The pizza is cooked in wood fired brick oven and served piping hot and not allowed to sit around. When you eat great pizza it should almost burn the roof of your mouth when you first bite into it. The pizza on a cruise ship is there for a cheap or free snack. Do not compare it to real freshly made pizza you would get in an old Italian town such as the one I grew up in. Electric ovens dry out the crust quickly and having it sit around and get warmed up when you order it is just not the way to eat great pizza. Unless the cruise ship is willing to cook this way you will never get great or even good pizza.

Here is the real issue------ The pizza on RCI is BAD.