RCI Pizza

Nice range of opinions here, so I'll chip in with mine.

Its distinctly better than microwaved pizza -- I'd never choose to eat that.

Its distinctly worse than the pizza we had in Italy last month.

Its perfectly edible as a poolside snack or with a beer, and it seems to taste a whole lot better at the end of an evening.

Best review so far. Considering how much pizza they serve, during the day, when other venues are open, a lot of people are eating the pizza or they would use the space for something else.

Wow, this is a really interesting thread. I apparently have way different pizza tastes than most people. Ignoring nicer options and just sticking with fast food/quick pizza chains, my ranking would be:

Cheap Frozen Pizza

Wal-Mart Grab and Go

Little Caesars

Brand name frozen pizza (DiGorno etc)

Papa Murpheys

7-11

Royal Caribbean

CiCis

Anthony's

Papa Johns

Dominoes

Pizza Hut

It's ok. They use premade crusts, like you'd buy at the store. I think it would be greatly improved if they made the crust fresh onboard. With all the bread already made daily onboard, I don't know why they opt for premade pizza crust. No matter how good the toppings are, a pizza is only as good as its crust.

They do make the crusts onboard. We saw them baking them in the main galley during the all access tour on Liberty.

Comparing Royal's pizza to CiCi's or Little Caesar's is an insult to CiCi's & Little Caesar's.

It's more like the pizza they sell at the gas station on the corner.

I dunno.. Casey's General Store stations actually have some pretty good pizza. ;)

The stuff on the ship reminds me of that soggy rectangle they served you for lunch in middle school.

Nice range of opinions here, so I'll chip in with mine.

Its distinctly better than microwaved pizza -- I'd never choose to eat that.

Its distinctly worse than the pizza we had in Italy last month.

Its perfectly edible as a poolside snack or with a beer, and it seems to taste a whole lot better at the end of an evening.

Well put. One might add, the more beer one drinks, the better the pizza tastes.

Wow, this is a really interesting thread. I apparently have way different pizza tastes than most people. Ignoring nicer options and just sticking with fast food/quick pizza chains, my ranking would be:

Cheap Frozen Pizza

Wal-Mart Grab and Go

Little Caesars

Brand name frozen pizza (DiGorno etc)

Papa Murpheys

7-11

Royal Caribbean

CiCis

Anthony's

Papa Johns

Dominoes

Pizza Hut

Thank you for giving 7/11 pizza the respect it deserves. Sure it's terrible, but it's also delicious. If that make any sense

They do make the crusts onboard. We saw them baking them in the main galley during the all access tour on Liberty.

I do not know if this makes a difference, but there is a Sorrentos on the Liberty. My husband describes the pizza at Sorrentos as a notch above Cafe Promenade. He describes the pizza at Sorrentos as "edible."

Are all crusts made on board? I cannot eat red sauce. No pizza for me at Cafe Promenade. At Sorrentos I can get a white pizza made with mozzarella, mozzarella or mozzarella cheese. I have them smother it with vegetables and as my husband says it is "edible."

I have seen some not so flattering reviews of RCI pizza from the Cafe Promenade. I'm curious where it would rate among popular pizza chains. Is it comparable to maybe Little Caesar's Hot and Ready? Possibly a step up? Just trying to get a feel for what to expect. We're pizza people so we'll definitely try it good or bad.

Little Caesar's is several steps up from the pizza. It doesn't matter whether it is from Sorrento's or Cafe Promenade, it is frozen shells with a some tasteless sauce and a little bit of toppings.

It's ok. They use premade crusts, like you'd buy at the store. I think it would be greatly improved if they made the crust fresh onboard. With all the bread already made daily onboard, I don't know why they opt for premade pizza crust. No matter how good the toppings are, a pizza is only as good as its crust.

A reasonable statement. Taking the behind the scenes tour, the galley does smell amazing with the baking going on.

When I took the all access tour on Anthem, the chef told us they make all of the bread onboard, except for hamburger and hotdog buns, and pizza crusts. Are you sure they were making fresh pizza crusts on Liberty and not just rolling them out?

Definitely could be something that varies by ship. I couldn't really tell any difference in the pizza we had on those two ships, so whatever they're doing, they could do it better.

When I took the all access tour on Anthem, the chef told us they make all of the bread onboard, except for hamburger and hotdog buns, and pizza crusts. After you sure they were making fresh pizza crusts on Liberty and not just rolling them out?

Definitely could be something that varies by ship. I couldn't really tell any difference in the pizza we had on those two ships, so whatever they're doing, they could do it better.

Correct, they do not make the dough on board. They pre-bake refrigerated pizza crusts from their vendor - ever notice how quickly they are able to cook the pizza's? That would be why - cook them long enough to melt the cheese.

I do not know if this makes a difference, but there is a Sorrentos on the Liberty. My husband describes the pizza at Sorrentos as a notch above Cafe Promenade. He describes the pizza at Sorrentos as "edible."

Are all crusts made on board? I cannot eat red sauce. No pizza for me at Cafe Promenade. At Sorrentos I can get a white pizza made with mozzarella, mozzarella or mozzarella cheese. I have them smother it with vegetables and as my husband says it is "edible."

I was under the impression that were have been talking about Sorrentos all along

It is terrible pizza, but I can't wait to have my first slice in 2 years in approximately 6 days and 12 hours from now. I will probably end up having a slice or two just about every night to help soak up some of my drink package.

When I took the all access tour on Anthem, the chef told us they make all of the bread onboard, except for hamburger and hotdog buns, and pizza crusts. Are you sure they were making fresh pizza crusts on Liberty and not just rolling them out?

Yes. I saw a huge stack of them already baked. They told us they were going to sorrento’s

To put things into perspective:

I don't eat Little Caesar's. Yuck.

I do like the little square Tostitos pizzas that go on sale for .99.

Royal's pizza is comparable to the good frozen pizzas -- like Freshecha or Red Barron. Something you keep in the freezer for an instant weeknight dinner, but nothing you'd ever serve to company, and nothing you'd sit down to and say, "YES! I've been looking forward to this all day long."

It is perhaps more like some European pizzas I've had than anything in North America.

What a weird thing to say. It's more an American pizza than anything in Europe. What would be the basis for it being more European, given the line, the ships and everything else are American based?

What a weird thing to say. It's more an American pizza than anything in Europe. What would be the basis for it being more European, given the line, the ships and everything else are American based?

Because most of the European pizzas I've had have similar crust/cheese, just higher quality and not pre-made/frozen crust. I think it's the cheese mostly that makes me think of it that way. It's an opinion, I can have mine, you can have yours :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums