RCI Pizza

To follow up and comments about cruise pizza. Here is the real issue. Ships are not designed to make real Neapolitan pizza. Real Neapolitan pizza has a very thin crust, the dough is prepared fresh every day. The pizza uses fresh mozzarella cheese, no other type of cheese is acceptable. .

Huh? Carnival is able to do it just fine. Its not wood fired brick oven cooked but that huge commercial pizza oven they have, which is the same type 90% of most pizza places use, cooks them fast and fine :)

pizza-chef-tossing-pizza-dough.jpg

Pizzeria-del-Capitano.jpg

Edited by ryano

Love the Carnival Pizza! Princess would be second best. Royal Caribbean pizza is an embarrassment to pizza. You would think by now RCCL would have done something to improve this. I don't get it......seems they purposely want folks to hate it.

Love the Carnival Pizza! Princess would be second best. Royal Caribbean pizza is an embarrassment to pizza. You would think by now RCCL would have done something to improve this. I don't get it......seems they purposely want folks to hate it.

It works perfectly the way it is. People line up for the pizza now so why would they improve it? If they did, they'd be doling out even more.

It works perfectly the way it is. People line up for the pizza now so why would they improve it? If they did, they'd be doling out even more.

So RCI should begin a program of massive downgrades until they find the point where there is no longer a demand? Of course, to read some of the threads around here some would argue that they are already doing that.

So RCI should begin a program of massive downgrades until they find the point where there is no longer a demand? Of course, to read some of the threads around here some would argue that they are already doing that.
Was the pizza ever downgraded? [emoji16] I don't recall it ever being that great.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not pizza related but late night snack related.

I'm sure I remember on our first cruise on Enchantment back in early 2000 that you could go to a fast food type servery up on deck late at night for fresh made burgers, hot dogs and the like.

There was no Cafe Promenade or Sorrentos pizza but the fast food was really good after a fun night. I might be mistaken though in remembering this?

Back to the topic......... the current pizza doesnt do it for me and I'm from the UK!

Was the pizza ever downgraded? [emoji16] I don't recall it ever being that great.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nope, RCI never had to put any effort into down grading the pizza. I'm not sure what they could do to accomplish that.

It's awful at 2pm but amazing at 2am.

This is the most accurate comment ever. I'm not sure what kind of cheese they are using but it's only palatable after a few too many cocktails.

Not pizza related but late night snack related.

I'm sure I remember on our first cruise on Enchantment back in early 2000 that you could go to a fast food type servery up on deck late at night for fresh made burgers, hot dogs and the like.

There was no Cafe Promenade or Sorrentos pizza but the fast food was really good after a fun night. I might be mistaken though in remembering this?

Park Cafe in the Solarium has burgers/dogs/pizza/nachos until 1 or 2 in the morning.

It's awful at 2pm but amazing at 2am.

Awesome. This literally made me LOL.

IMHO, it doesn't compare to any chain pizza places. The closest comparison is the generic grocery store brand frozen pizza you get when there's nothing else to get.

-germ

I have seen some not so flattering reviews of RCI pizza from the Cafe Promenade. I'm curious where it would rate among popular pizza chains. Is it comparable to maybe Little Caesar's Hot and Ready? Possibly a step up? Just trying to get a feel for what to expect. We're pizza people so we'll definitely try it good or bad.

Not sure if others have had Little Caesars recently.. or if ours down here is just better, and I still would not buy it on purpose, but I would never say that RCI's pizza on NV, IN, MJ, EN, AD, SE, JE, VY is better than Little Caesars. The made to orders ones on the Oasis were better than any of the national brands.

Pizza on ships is not close to being good, plain and simple.

Born and grew up in Brooklyn from 1946 to 1972 and enjoying the different places and styles of Pizza was part of life.

NO CRUISE out of the 2 dozen plus that we have been on makes a good PIZZA. They make things that once in a while approach what a pizza is but none have ever made it as far as I am concerned. This is not to say their pizzas all are not worth eating, that is a matter of taste, time of day, how hungry or drunk you are as well as your age since kids will eat almost anything resembling a pizza.

Looking at some of the complicated foods ship's galleys manage to prepare and serve why is it that they can't for some reason figure out what tens of thousands of people most of whom are not graduates of some French sounding culinary school can do. People of all ages have been taught how to make a simple dough, cover it with a basic tomato sauce and some cheese and a few spices thus creating a really good pizza.

Yet it always amazes me that those folks have managed make great pizza successfully at thousands of pizza joints in thousands of neighborhoods throughout the country something that cannot seem to be done on a ship???

Do not pick a cruise or cruise ship depending on their pizza, LOL

bosco

Pizza on ships is not close to being good, plain and simple.

Born and grew up in Brooklyn from 1946 to 1972 and enjoying the different places and styles of Pizza was part of life.

NO CRUISE out of the 2 dozen plus that we have been on makes a good PIZZA. They make things that once in a while approach what a pizza is but none have ever made it as far as I am concerned. This is not to say their pizzas all are not worth eating, that is a matter of taste, time of day, how hungry or drunk you are as well as your age since kids will eat almost anything resembling a pizza.

Looking at some of the complicated foods ship's galleys manage to prepare and serve why is it that they can't for some reason figure out what tens of thousands of people most of whom are not graduates of some French sounding culinary school can do. People of all ages have been taught how to make a simple dough, cover it with a basic tomato sauce and some cheese and a few spices thus creating a really good pizza.

Yet it always amazes me that those folks have managed make great pizza successfully at thousands of pizza joints in thousands of neighborhoods throughout the country something that cannot seem to be done on a ship???

Do not pick a cruise or cruise ship depending on their pizza, LOL

bosco

I grew up in Canarsie and hung out in Bensonhurst ,both homes of the best pizza on earth.

I grew up in Canarsie and hung out in Bensonhurst ,both homes of the best pizza on earth.

Also the best bagels and bialys.

Born in Canarsie 1946 and lived on E 87th between K and L. They didn't even have a Pizzeria then and the Canarsie theater wasn't air conditioned. For Pizza you had to go to an Italian restaurant to get one.. LOL.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans
added

Just like White Castle

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love White Castle.

Crystal just doesn't cut it.

This may not be true anymore, but Louisville, KT was the only city with both Crystal and White Castle. :cool::cool:

I love White Castle.

This may not be true anymore, but Louisville, KT was the only city with both Crystal and White Castle. :cool::cool:

So does my wife and Mother in Law. When she visits from Florida arriving on the last JetBlue flight for the night they make a pit stop before they get home.

I have lived my entire life in the Chicago area and my whole family is very particular about our pizza! Carnival's pizza is quite good and is great at 2 pm AND divine at 2am. :)

The pizza we were unfortunate enough to try on our Adventure of the Seas cruise in 2015 was unacceptable at any hour and in my estimation even at frat party levels of inebriation! :D Indeed, my kids were 13 and 17 at the time and even their jaws dropped in horror with how bad it was. Remember when "generic" brands first came out in the early 80's with the army green and black stripe on the stark white packaging and most of the products were extremely sub-par? Yeah, the pizza we had on AOS should have had that labeling. :p

That said, from some of the comments here it sounds like they may have made an effort to improve their pizza. I'll take one for the team and will try a slice (or at least a bite) on my cruise next month on Brilliance and will report back. :halo:

I love White Castle.

When I worked midnights for the Railway Express back in the sixties we would on occasion send out a truck and get a couple of hundred sliders for the sixty men on the crew...:D

bosco