Slow service in MDR

Wave61

Have been reading several recent posts about how slow the service can be in the MDR. I was wondering if mentioning to the servers of the need to be finished eating by a certain time would help speed things up a bit. Or is it beyond the servers control and more to do with galley issues?

Last year when we were docked in Bermuda (2 1/2 days), we had a sunset catamaran cruise booked after dinner one night. We asked our wait staff whether could have faster service and we were out in plenty of time for our cruise. We even offered to skip dessert but that wasn't necessary. Admittedly since we were docked the dining room wasn't as full as it would have been on a sea day, but they did a great job making sure we were served promptly.

We'll be asking the waiter to bring our appetizer while we're waiting for our steak to cook. As soon as it's done cooking they can bring it out so we can eat and get out of there. If we can be out in an hour or less, mission accomplished!

You likely will receive better results with this request with Anytime Dining in our experience. Besides it could be construed as rude by tablemates at set time dining.

Maybe... Maybe not...

We’ve had tablemates in the past who wanted to expedite their MDR service. We, in no way, considered it rude.

Just got off of the Vista. First night the MDR was slow for us. (Late seating in the Reflections Restaurant.) Our waiter recognized the problem and fixed it. He said that they had to have a meeting about reorganizing some things. Apparently it was done, because it was fixed.

Have been reading several recent posts about how slow the service can be in the MDR. I was wondering if mentioning to the servers of the need to be finished eating by a certain time would help speed things up a bit. Or is it beyond the servers control and more to do with galley issues?

Can you be more specific? Is this in regards to a large table or a table for 2? In our previous experiences, we've never encountered slow service....maybe the bartender could have been a bit more expedient, but nothing to write here about.

Haven't noticed slow service.

Some people will complain about anything, including feeling they were rushed.

Don't be late for dinner, don't piddle during dinner, don't order multiple appetizers, entrees, etc., and have everyone finish courses together, helps. Those kind of things are outside of the servers control.

Finish everything before the staff entertainment begins, or choose to walk out without, or stay until after.

The staff will try to accommodate you, if you help them to do so.

Thanks for all your replies. We have YTD and 4 in our group. We plan on getting there when the ding room opens and want to be finished in time to relax a bit before taking in a show or something. A few posts mentioned it taking over 2 hours for dinner. My ideal time would be an hour, an hour and a half tops.

Thanks for all your replies. We have YTD and 4 in our group. We plan on getting there when the ding room opens and want to be finished in time to relax a bit before taking in a show or something. A few posts mentioned it taking over 2 hours for dinner. My ideal time would be an hour, an hour and a half tops.

Trust me....the staff is WELL aware of time issues and people wanting to get to shows. If you need to leave early, just tell them. I can guarantee you that they will bend over backwards for you to make sure you are taken care of. You're on vacation after all.

Yes you can ask .

We find 1 1/2 hour is pretty "normal" :) Add 15 minutes for after dinner coffee and chat with tablemates.

You can also speed things up if you ask for the desert menu when you get the regular menu and order desert at the same time. You shave off the wait time as the servers will have your desert available as soon as the entree is cleared.

We had early dining on the Paradise. Our service was extra slow; we were always the last table to get their food, and last table to finish dessert. We always showed up to our table on time, and we had a private table (luck of the draw, did not request it). We did not mind the slow service; we enjoyed the slow pace. We made the shows/activities we wanted after dinner without issue.

There was a family across from us, who had the fastest MDR service ever. They always ordered aps, main course, and dessert, and were out of there in a half hour. I can't get my family in and out of McDonalds that fast!