We Got Up Early And Stayed Up Late

Saphire

I think many of us have had them. A year that was particularly hard and grueling, when the business and stress of life robbed you of the anticipation of your cruise. Those sweet, day-dreamy moments of thinking ahead to the pleasures of being at sea were enjoyed other years, but not this one. We joked, my dear husband and I, that we would crawl up the gangway on embarkation day. When that day finally came, we kissed with grateful smiles that we had made it.

We had booked a 7 day SS guarantee on Eurodam. About one week out, we received an upsell offer for $349 pp. There were only 2 cabins left...one very close to the Neptune Lounge and the other an aft cabin. While we have always wanted to try an aft, the mid ship cabin spoke to us, as we would be purchasing the spa package. We quickly responded to the offer. The close proximity to the spa on Deck 9 invited us to visit often, as we sought relief from tired muscles in the hydro pool and tile loungers.

Our Neptune Suite cabin was lovely. The lighting in the bathroom is beautiful. We pre-ordered flowers beforehand but found they were offering fresh arrangements on deck 9, really pretty and reasonably priced. We have never seen this offered before. Our stewards were wonderful, unobtrusive and professional, everything we love about HAL.

As we left Fort Lauderdale we quickly found ourselves relaxing and settling into the pace of the cruise. We went to Canaletto the first night, which was a good choice. It was quiet, friendly and relaxing. And beautiful views. The food was delicious, we also spent out last night here and it was just as good. Lamb, veal, lasagna, rigatoni, all so good.

We spent a lot of time relaxing by the Lido pool, often the first ones there. Chairs are really nice, pool is beautiful, the sun was strong. Everything we needed. We were out of there by 11:00 am, before it got busy.

We stayed on board for a couples massage on our first stop, and it was amazing. The sales pitch didn't come until the end, so it was 75 minutes of quiet, refreshing relaxation.

San Juan seems to be doing well, from what we saw. Walked to the Fort on a beautiful day, so many flying kites and people enjoying the glorious weather.

Tamarind was, as always, delightful. Food is delicious and the service pleasing. We visited the Tamarind Bar (Silk Den) several evenings, and you can't beat the service and view (if you go before 7 pm), such a pleasant place to enjoy a drink.

In St. Maarten, we sailed on the Golden Eagle Catamaran, third time doing it as we can't stay away! It is always a highlight of our trip, swimming in the gentle waters and balmy temps. The crew is fun and Sam is the best captain, truly a relaxing and other-worldly experience coming from the cold Northeast.

There were some changes onboard that were good and others not so much. Desserts were a bit better. Carrot cake, peanut butter silk pie and the lemon tart in Pinnacle were delicious. I loved the night-light in the bathroom! BB King band was the best ever, we went every night and they were so, so good. We rarely heard the same song twice. My favorite was the drummer, he was astounding! But shout out to the lead guitar and lead singer, these guys were GOOD!

I did not like the selling this year...we were approached by wine stewards during dining to purchase various things...wine tastings, mixology, etc. Never experienced this before on HAL, and hope they haven't permanently joined all the other lines in the sales push.

Our verandah was spacious and the furniture very comfortable. Enjoying the setting sun as it splashed over us is a memory we won't forget. Pure luxury and relaxation.

This was a week to escape and rejuvenate and it delivered. We waited in a long line to disembark but we felt relaxed and ready to return home, with happy and strong memories of our wonderful time on this beautiful ship.

I don't know what next year will bring. Maybe we will float along the gangway on embarkation day. But whatever kind of year we have had, we will always, always be grateful to be taking a Holland America Cruise.

All smiles as I read your wonderful cruise! We had the exact same experience on The Maasdam from a month on her to South America. It will be a week home this Sunday on Easter and ready to go again!

Thank you for a great reading a smile too!

Denise:)

I think many of us have had them. A year that was particularly hard and grueling, when the business and stress of life robbed you of the anticipation of your cruise. Those sweet, day-dreamy moments of thinking ahead to the pleasures of being at sea were enjoyed other years, but not this one. We joked, my dear husband and I, that we would crawl up the gangway on embarkation day. When that day finally came, we kissed with grateful smiles that we had made it.

We had booked a 7 day SS guarantee on Eurodam. About one week out, we received an upsell offer for $349 pp. There were only 2 cabins left...one very close to the Neptune Lounge and the other an aft cabin. While we have always wanted to try an aft, the mid ship cabin spoke to us, as we would be purchasing the spa package. We quickly responded to the offer. The close proximity to the spa on Deck 9 invited us to visit often, as we sought relief from tired muscles in the hydro pool and tile loungers.

Our Neptune Suite cabin was lovely. The lighting in the bathroom is beautiful. We pre-ordered flowers beforehand but found they were offering fresh arrangements on deck 9, really pretty and reasonably priced. We have never seen this offered before. Our stewards were wonderful, unobtrusive and professional, everything we love about HAL.

As we left Fort Lauderdale we quickly found ourselves relaxing and settling into the pace of the cruise. We went to Canaletto the first night, which was a good choice. It was quiet, friendly and relaxing. And beautiful views. The food was delicious, we also spent out last night here and it was just as good. Lamb, veal, lasagna, rigatoni, all so good.

We spent a lot of time relaxing by the Lido pool, often the first ones there. Chairs are really nice, pool is beautiful, the sun was strong. Everything we needed. We were out of there by 11:00 am, before it got busy.

We stayed on board for a couples massage on our first stop, and it was amazing. The sales pitch didn't come until the end, so it was 75 minutes of quiet, refreshing relaxation.

San Juan seems to be doing well, from what we saw. Walked to the Fort on a beautiful day, so many flying kites and people enjoying the glorious weather.

Tamarind was, as always, delightful. Food is delicious and the service pleasing. We visited the Tamarind Bar (Silk Den) several evenings, and you can't beat the service and view (if you go before 7 pm), such a pleasant place to enjoy a drink.

In St. Maarten, we sailed on the Golden Eagle Catamaran, third time doing it as we can't stay away! It is always a highlight of our trip, swimming in the gentle waters and balmy temps. The crew is fun and Sam is the best captain, truly a relaxing and other-worldly experience coming from the cold Northeast.

There were some changes onboard that were good and others not so much. Desserts were a bit better. Carrot cake, peanut butter silk pie and the lemon tart in Pinnacle were delicious. I loved the night-light in the bathroom! BB King band was the best ever, we went every night and they were so, so good. We rarely heard the same song twice. My favorite was the drummer, he was astounding! But shout out to the lead guitar and lead singer, these guys were GOOD!

I did not like the selling this year...we were approached by wine stewards during dining to purchase various things...wine tastings, mixology, etc. Never experienced this before on HAL, and hope they haven't permanently joined all the other lines in the sales push.

Our verandah was spacious and the furniture very comfortable. Enjoying the setting sun as it splashed over us is a memory we won't forget. Pure luxury and relaxation.

This was a week to escape and rejuvenate and it delivered. We waited in a long line to disembark but we felt relaxed and ready to return home, with happy and strong memories of our wonderful time on this beautiful ship.

I don't know what next year will bring. Maybe we will float along the gangway on embarkation day. But whatever kind of year we have had, we will always, always be grateful to be taking a Holland America Cruise.

[/quoteWOW]

Going on Eurodam for April 1 sailing. Looking forward to great cruise. Thanks for your thoughts and review. Also looking forward to Lincoln Center stage performances too.

You said you enjoyed the BB King All Star band. We're many people on the dance floor?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You said you enjoyed the BB King All Star band. We're many people on the dance floor?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes! Very danceable music and the later it got, the more people danced it seemed. I think a lot of the staff comes out for the 10:45 show. Enjoy!

Great review and so glad your trip was so nice and was just what you both needed.

We had a Neptune suite on the Nieuw Amsterdam revently and decided we are completely spoiled from that experience. ITA about the nightlight in the bathroom; that was an unexpected delight. And lovely, elegant, understated decor in our suite and the entire ship. It was visually soothing and restful.

We went to the BB King Lounge for the first set, every night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Awesome entertainers! We never heard the same song twice. Not many people were dancing, but 2nd and 3rd sets might have had more dancers.