Is the insurance worth it?

dcl1710

Travel insurance provides evacuation coverage and can cover co-pays that regular medical insurance doesn’t, plus other benefits. A few credit cards (e.g., Executive MCs) provide similar coverage for large evacuation and medical bills, but certainly not most. Insuremytrip dot com has a variety of plans that you can compare to HAL’s. Nationwide, available through insuremytrip, has several plans tailored to cruise passengers that even cover itinerary changes and missed shore excursions. Note that in case of cancellation, taxes and port fees are refunded by the cruise line so keep that in mind when factoring in your “total (non-refundable) trip cost”. All the Best!

I'll do my homework before we leave. BTW we are Canadian and I'm not sure the insuremytrip will cover us

Thanks!.

I'll do my homework before we leave. BTW we are Canadian and I'm not sure the insuremytrip will cover us

Thanks!.

Over and above "if", the "what is covered" and "maximum payout" are crucial, too.

For example, if you cannot sit in an airliner seat coming home from Japan, most ship insurance is

going max out long before it helps very much.

I checked with the insurance had handles the group benefits for my wife's company and they do have travel cancellation, interruption, lost baggage and medical. For one week post cruise we will be visiting family in Italy and one of my cousins is a doctor, so we have that part covered.

It's really not rocket science.

Identify all the risks.

Total the worst-case scenario's costs.

Insurance company actuaries are experts on averaging those costs ...and adding a profit on top.

Can you absorb those costs?

No: Buy the most competitive insurance that will cover those costs.

Yes: Self-insure. On average you'll be ahead by the insurance company's profit.

We just got a cheque for our first trip cancellation in 40 plus years. $1190 CAD from our credit card company cancellation insurance provider. Sent in the forms, got the cheque in the mail three weeks later. No issues whatsoever. I was expecting the usual if ands or buts but nary a word, just the cheque.

We are much more fussy about details when obtaining out of country medical/evac. The risks to us are much higher. My pension benetfits include 60 day out of country medical. We buy an add on policy when travelling for longer periods.

It may have been mentioned above but if not I would add check the fine print on any and all insurance whatever the source, especially for age limits.

Ahh, someone finally mentioned the fine print.

We lost the most money on a trip that was insured through one of the largest travel insurance companies. Three of us traveling overseas experienced a series of airline snafus, failed rerouting and every possible thing that could go wrong. We were two days late joining a tour group. We paid for additional air to catch up with the group, hotels, meals. We reported timely, we filed timely, we submitted a precise packet of receipts and documentation.

However, fine print in the travel policy prevailed and we were reimbursed $0.00. Fine print excluded liability because we didn’t wait for the original booked flight for four hours or more (the airline proactively rerouted us).

We generally self insure and each have top tier Chase Sapphire Reserve cards. High quality credit cards offer significant travel insurance.

You can become insurance poor, especially if you are looking for first dollar coverage on anything.

I booked onboard and by the time I got home and thought about it it was past the 14-21 days for the pre existing exclusion waiver. I have not added it yet but have to. A couple of diagnoses later and boom, we absolutely need the pre-exisiting waiver. I may have to buy the HAL as well.

Take a look at insuremytrip.com and tripinsurancestore.com they offer a nice interface to search and compare different policies. You can use filters to set the attributes you want.

Ahh, someone finally mentioned the fine print. . . Three of us traveling overseas experienced a series of airline snafus, failed rerouting and every possible thing that could go wrong. We were two days late joining a tour group. . .We reported timely, we filed timely, we submitted a precise packet of receipts and documentation.

However, fine print in the travel policy prevailed and we were reimbursed $0.00. Fine print excluded liability because we didn’t wait for the original booked flight for four hours or more (the airline proactively rerouted us).

We generally self insure and each have top tier Chase Sapphire Reserve cards. High quality credit cards offer significant travel insurance. . . .

That’s too bad! I feel for you. I had a situation where I first had to go through the airline for a European flight that was delayed. My initial request for EC261 was denied, but then after appealing, was approved when they considered how late I was to my final destination.

The fine print can be so confusing between various policies, and though I try to ask questions beforehand, find that sometimes I am not given straight answers in advance for what if scenarios. In my case, my credit card insurance would not cover a car rental to get home after a flight destination change (a late arriving flight caused us to miss our connection--the last flight of the day--and there were literally no available seats into my original destination the next day, so the airline changed our route to another airport a few hours away), but told me if I had taken a taxi the entire 4 hour journey they would have covered it!?!? My regular travel insurance, on the other hand, did cover the car rental to get home.

I have seen some really good insurance policies on credit cards like you mentioned, with evacuation and medical coverage comparable to other travel policies, that are quite appealing even if the card has an annual fee.

Happy Travels!

The cancel for any reason will add more to the price.....why do you need that...just my curiosity.

I needed the "cancel for any reason" coverage because I was afraid my work situation might change and I wouldn't be able to get the time off after all.

I needed the "cancel for any reason" coverage because I was afraid my work situation might change and I wouldn't be able to get the time off after all.

From my experience, your described scenario of work not letting you go is usually covered anyway under the standard cancellation coverage. Most just require an 'official' letter from your boss saying you can't go because of work requirements and you're covered.

No need to pay extra for 'cancel for any reason'. As someone already mentioned, it is always wise to read the find print in any insurance policy or contract.

Take a look at insuremytrip.com and tripinsurancestore.com they offer a nice interface to search and compare different policies. You can use filters to set the attributes you want.

The problem is the pre-existing condition waiver. Just forgot about buying the policy when I got home from the cruise. Too late on any policy to get that.

The problem is the pre-existing condition waiver. Just forgot about buying the policy when I got home from the cruise. Too late on any policy to get that.

Call Insure My Trip and talk to a real person. They know the products, can ask some questions, and may be able to find a policy to fit your needs. They can certainly help prioritize what you want covered, and help you out.

I find them excellent to talk to and work with. They made me think about things that never came to mind, and worked out some good plans for me.

The website just doesn't give the same level of interaction.

From my experience, your described scenario of work not letting you go is usually covered anyway under the standard cancellation coverage. Most just require an 'official' letter from your boss saying you can't go because of work requirements and you're covered.

No need to pay extra for 'cancel for any reason'. As someone already mentioned, it is always wise to read the find print in any insurance policy or contract.

Some positions/ careers can put you in a situation that it is really BEST if you are willing to flex vacation plans should something unexpected happen. The boss might not be willing/ able to write that excuse letter...... and really need you on the job. Or, sometimes you ARE the boss that needs to be at work.;)

Some positions/ careers can put you in a situation that it is really BEST if you are willing to flex vacation plans should something unexpected happen. The boss might not be willing/ able to write that excuse letter...... and really need you on the job. Or, sometimes you ARE the boss that needs to be at work.;)

During my more than 25 years of cruising, I have been in ALL of the situations you describe, i.e., having a boss, being the boss and being in a career that requires flex scheduling of vacation plans in order to be sure work requirements are covered.

In all those years, I have never been in a situation where I needed to purchase 'cancellation for any reason' coverage in order to be sure that a work related situation did not preclude me from taking the vacation time I had planned and pre-approved. Call me lucky I guess.. :)