Drinking straws

tiger-91

I understand the environmental impact but there are alternatives, last time I checked they still make paper straws

What they start throwing away all the unpaid returned drinks maybe they will get the message. I will send them back just for fun.

Also, to the user who indicated that they plan on spite ordering frozen drinks just to send them back that seems like a great use of your time and energy (instead of just buying a cheap reusable straw from the dollar store). All you are doing is adding more work to already hard working employees that are in no way at fault for your lack of straws. That is like yelling at a bus driver because the company decided to make route changes.

IMHO, this just shows how the poster feels about the bartenders, because anyone who has respect for them, would never intentionally cause them more work. I'd also bet that the second time he would do this, the bartenders would have his number and probably be a little slower serving him versus other passengers who show them respect and rightfully so.

IMHO, this just shows how the poster feels about the bartenders, because anyone who has respect for them, would never intentionally cause them more work. I'd also bet that the second time he would do this, the bartenders would have his number and probably be a little slower serving him versus other passengers who show them respect and rightfully so.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMHO, it just solidifies my opinion that the AP is just a troll.

Unless we want to cruise in a sea full of plastic then we need to stop using it! We managed to drink beverages thousands of years before straws were introduced!
Seems like Celebrity is looking at reducing plastic in the oceans. Here is what one person had said:

Water Focus Group

FYI - We were 1 of 50 staterooms invited to participate in a water focus group on the Equinox earlier this week. The purpose was to allow guests to voice their opinion regarding Celebrity eliminating all plastic water bottles onboard. Currently a water filtration system and reusable bottle refill station is being tested in the crew area on the Equinox.

They are looking at having boxed water instead of plastic bottled water. I think this would be awesome.

Great idea. Just ordered mine. Most drinks I couldn't care less, but I want a straw with my frozen drinks, so these will be perfect.

I must be ahead of the times. I've been using stainless straws for at least 8 years. I prefer them in my ice coffee. I get mine on Etsy, I prefer the made in America variety.

Now if only I could get the cruise lines to ban balloons. That would make my day!!

I don’t remember there being lids with straws anywhere. When my kids were little, I always brought appropriate cups with me on vacation and restaurants.
Me neither. I love my cups and straws. Always bring my own and pour into them. I think i'm covered. :-)ff04fef775051148aaf2f98b96b830a6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FWIW, had 2 virgin Pina Colada onboard the Gem last week - both came with a real plastic straw, didn't have to ask for one (but I knew about the "changes" being a CC addict here)

Fountain Pepsi that twe ordered, however, did not come ... ditto, for those sealed plastic bottles of Aquafina water.

A reminder to use a clean cup to pour out the little box of chocolate/regular/slim milk at breakfast for the children (and, adults) to drink out of - could be a little messy to drink out of the box directly, if I am not mistaken.

Aren't all these "waste" products sorted, compacted and stored for safe disposal and recycling for compliance ... straws aren't dump into the ocean when it's 12 miles (or whatever the distance) offshore anyway ?

We were in Cancun in February and they didn't give out straws because of the ocean and the environment. So, we used a hard plastic cup with a screw top lid and hard plastic straw. We ended up bringing these on our cruise in March and it was the best idea! We had the beverage package and two drinks fit in our cups and our drinks stayed cold. We would fill up before we went ashore.

I have to admit drinking a frozen drink won't be the same without a straw. Fortunately my wife is a wine drinker and I drink beer until I get bloated and then switch to bourbon and water which I prefer without a straw. BTW I have used the stainless straws here at the house for a couple of years and they are great.

Aren't all these "waste" products sorted, compacted and stored for safe disposal and recycling for compliance ... straws aren't dump into the ocean when it's 12 miles (or whatever the distance) offshore anyway ?

All the collected trash is. I believe the issue with straws is that they are prone to being dropped or left on a table and then fall (or blow) overboard.

I’m expecting that we will be using aluminum napkins soon, to avoid napkins blowing overboard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All the collected trash is. I believe the issue with straws is that they are prone to being dropped or left on a table and then fall (or blow) overboard.

I’m expecting that we will be using aluminum napkins soon, to avoid napkins blowing overboard.

Paper napkins dissolve/are biodegradable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’m excited about the benefits for the environment. It seems to be a trend I’ve noticed happening at a few bars and restaurants. However, I love having a straw in my drink! At home we have reusable straws.. but I don’t want to be responsible for a straw while I’m on vacation.. Cleaning it, remembering it, storing it between drinks.. too much effort. I think the ideal solution in my mind would be for them to switch to the plastic biodegradable straws (paper straws dissolve too quickly)

And then only provide on request or if you get a frozen drink. I agree that saving money has to be a big motivation for the change.

I'm on the NCL Jewel and just ordered a frozen Bushwhacker at the pool bar. The bartender brought it to me and apologized that there is no straw.

I thought at first he meant they ran out or just didn't have any, but he went on to explain that the company said to no longer give out straws.

It's not easy to drink a frozen drink without a straw.

And this is the third day. I had no issues in earlier days of getting a straw. I had to ask for one each time, but I got one.

So I'm not sure if it's just a pool bar thing or a shipwide policy.

To whom do I complain?

Straws are bad for the environment. .

Plastic and paper straws can be recycled.

This is just a ridiculously cheap cost cutting move and could backfire by becoming the poster child for NCL nickel and diming.

One would need to know which plastic they were made from tans they’re not marked— almost all plastic straws are not recycled.

Look just because you think it’s silly doesn’t mean others do. I enjoy frozen drinks. They melt and the liquid is on the bottom. They don’t taste the same if you try to drink from the top. Also some people have very sensitive teeth that hurt when they touch ice. Don’t be so judgy. They had an issue they wanted to share right away. I for one appreciate the heads up.

Have you ever tried using a spoon... ?

Problem solved!