Drinking straws

tiger-91

Don’t complain to anyone. It’s old news.

RCCL has talked about for a long time. They were talking about it again a few days before NCL implemented it a month and a half ago.

It is a great advancement in being green.

Not that old of news. If they want to complain then let them. I may not complain but knowing there is no straws, I will certainly bring my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plastic and paper straws can be recycled.

This is just a ridiculously cheap cost cutting move and could backfire by becoming the poster child for NCL nickel and diming.

While the plastic used to create the straws is recyclable, most do not accept straws as they do not recycle them. Looking at websites that list where and what you can recycle straws are not on the list.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I do not agree with NCL banning straws. I mean, who wants to drink an alcoholic beverage without a straw, especially a frozen drink? That being said, maybe there is a real problem with straws making it into the ocean?

A very real problem. Plenty of articles abound on the internet. It's why cities are starting to ban them too.

Make sure the straw doesn't weigh more than your drink, or else you'll be wearing your frozen drink!

They're incredibly light and and strong. They can survive a mojito

I can understand straws by request only but not at all seems a bit much IMO. I understand lots probably go to waste. I don’t understand why they can’t be recycled like all the other plastic on the ship.

7b6ae18fd8dc7eab3e90091e646a1254.jpg

I got these on Amazon. I like a straw with my drink. I won't be harming the environment.

Great idea. Just ordered mine. Most drinks I couldn't care less, but I want a straw with my frozen drinks, so these will be perfect.

also, newsflash. China is the largest buyer of US recycling. They arent interested in our recycling anymore. Recyling is piling up everywhere and it isnt getting recycled. Much of what we all dutifully place in our recycle bins is going into the trash.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/world/china-recyclables-ban.html

I prefer unplugged vacations, but have no issue with people who want to stay plugged in. My confusion lies with why anyone would want to take the time (even just a moment) to complain to internet strangers while ON vacation. Once I am on a vacation, I am generally care free and adaptable. It takes a lot for something to upset me to the point that I dwell on it for any length of time.

My point is, many people still utilize cruise critic while on vacation. It takes no effort to make a post. So please don’t be confused. You are free to unplug while others will leisurely still peruse cruise critic and other sites.

A very real problem. Plenty of articles abound on the internet. It's why cities are starting to ban them too.

Banning them should not be the solution. Maybe more responsible laws on their use but banning something out right is just silly. Might as well ban the plastic cups and utensils while we are at it.

Banning them should not be the solution. Maybe more responsible laws on their use but banning something out right is just silly. Might as well ban the plastic cups and utensils while we are at it.

They are. Several cities and countries and companies are banning single use plastics. In the breakroom at my company all cups, utensils, plates, and bowls are biodegradable or compostable. It's not like there's not plenty of alternatives out there and if a ban is the only way to make people use them then so be it.

My point is, many people still utilize cruise critic while on vacation. It takes no effort to make a post. So please don’t be confused. You are free to unplug while others will leisurely still peruse cruise critic and other sites.

You seem to be missing my point...I find it silly to put in any effort (yes, taking out your phone and writing a post requires some level of effort) to complain about something so silly while on vacation.

You seem to be missing my point...I find it silly to put in any effort (yes, taking out your phone and writing a post requires some level of effort) to complain about something so silly while on vacation.

Look just because you think it’s silly doesn’t mean others do. I enjoy frozen drinks. They melt and the liquid is on the bottom. They don’t taste the same if you try to drink from the top. Also some people have very sensitive teeth that hurt when they touch ice. Don’t be so judgy. They had an issue they wanted to share right away. I for one appreciate the heads up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Look just because you think it’s silly doesn’t mean others do. I enjoy frozen drinks. They melt and the liquid is on the bottom. They don’t taste the same if you try to drink from the top. Also some people have very sensitive teeth that hurt when they touch ice. Don’t be so judgy. They had an issue they wanted to share right away. I for one appreciate the heads up.

I agree! Next time if they don’t provide a straw I will send the drink back and just get a beer instead. I will do it repeatedly at many different bars just on spite. How stupid they are.

If there are no straws I wonder what they’re doing about little kids drinks in the MDR. Not having a lid and a straw for some little ones would be constant spilled milk, so to speak. Plus, I’ll either be taking my own straws (which defeats their purpose if it’s for environmental reasons) or asking for a spoon for my frozen drinks. Ask in request is one thing. Not having available at all is another.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If there are no straws I wonder what they’re doing about little kids drinks in the MDR. Not having a lid and a straw for some little ones would be constant spilled milk, so to speak. Plus, I’ll either be taking my own straws (which defeats their purpose if it’s for environmental reasons) or asking for a spoon for my frozen drinks. Ask in request is one thing. Not having available at all is another.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t remember there being lids with straws anywhere. When my kids were little, I always brought appropriate cups with me on vacation and restaurants.

Oh no, a cruise line is trying to save money (I am sure we are all surprised) and help the environment at the same time. So complaint worthy. The OP didn't make this post to give others a heads up. The entire purpose of this post is to complain and figure out how he can keep complaining.

Also, to the user who indicated that they plan on spite ordering frozen drinks just to send them back that seems like a great use of your time and energy (instead of just buying a cheap reusable straw from the dollar store). All you are doing is adding more work to already hard working employees that are in no way at fault for your lack of straws. That is like yelling at a bus driver because the company decided to make route changes.

Oh no, a cruise line is trying to save money (I am sure we are all surprised) and help the environment at the same time. So complaint worthy. The OP didn't make this post to give others a heads up. The entire purpose of this post is to complain and figure out how he can keep complaining.

Also, to the user who indicated that they plan on spite ordering frozen drinks just to send them back that seems like a great use of your time and energy (instead of just buying a cheap reusable straw from the dollar store). All you are doing is adding more work to already hard working employees that are in no way at fault for your lack of straws. That is like yelling at a bus driver because the company decided to make route changes.

Not quite. The cruise line don’t get the beverages for free you know, They have to pay for them whether the customer accepts them or not.

No I understood your post. You seem to be missing my point in that it doesn’t matter if you find it silly. As I mentioned there are plenty people who use the internet including posting to cruise critic while on their cruise. Your post had nothing to do with the OPs topic (and neither did my response to you post). So that’s all I will say about that.

As far as the issue at hand, it would be nice if NCL replaced the plastic straws with some other form. But as other posters alluded to, it’s not only about the environment. It’s also about their profits. I for one would not enjoy drinking a frozen drink without a straw. So unless I hear differently I will have to bring my own. A minor inconvenience but so be it.

I'm glad they're not using plastic straws any more, but wish they'd provide one of the sustainable alternatives. I agree that it's not as good to drink a frozen drink without one.

Apparently there is a company that has started using pasta based straws as an alternative!