What are the basic medicines do you pack?

*MoonLady*

I pack :

First Aid kit ( plasters,large adhesive strips, medical tape,eye bath, medical cream etc)

ibruprofen and paracetamol (painkillers)

anti histamines (I get bitten by everything and have hayfever)

anti constipation tablets

anti diarrhoea tablets

bug repellent for clothes and skin

flu capsules

multivitamin effervescents (good for hangovers and excess overload)

electrolyte replacement powder (also good for hangovers and general dehydration)

antacid tablets

ginger capsules (for seasickness)

muscle rub cream (we walk a lot)

anti itch cream (bugs love me)

glucose gel (Hubby is T1 diabetic)

herbal anti-stress tablets (mainly for planes and for my general anxiety)

Most of these are small blister packs or small cream tubes.

I would rather bring these for peace of mind, usually don't need them.

I never pack so many medications. Once I had an headache for which I wanted something. The shop on HAL that sold toothbrushes and alike referred me to the medical center. I didn't try that, but I guess that would have been quite expensive.

If many need to take get so many different medications through TSA, etc, why don't they offer to buy ibuprofen and alike? Nobody is going to visit the medical centre for those I guess. Compared, at least some ships give free seasickness pills like candy.

I never pack so many medications. Once I had an headache for which I wanted something. The shop on HAL that sold toothbrushes and alike referred me to the medical center. I didn't try that, but I guess that would have been quite expensive.

If many need to take get so many different medications through TSA, etc, why don't they offer to buy ibuprofen and alike? Nobody is going to visit the medical centre for those I guess. Compared, at least some ships give free seasickness pills like candy.

Visited medical center on Royal Caribbean a couple of times for minor things. They had a machine like a candy bar machine outside of the main medical center waiting room with OTC meds in single doses. They were not expensive. Also remember some free meds, like aspirin, Tylenol, etc. from the nursing staff and band aids.

Actually found the medical care to be excellent and no more expensive than a doctor visit or ER visit at home. Travel insurance covered.

Visited medical center on Royal Caribbean a couple of times for minor things. They had a machine like a candy bar machine outside of the main medical center waiting room with OTC meds in single doses. They were not expensive. Also remember some free meds, like aspirin, Tylenol, etc. from the nursing staff and band aids.

Actually found the medical care to be excellent and no more expensive than a doctor visit or ER visit at home. Travel insurance covered.

The latter was my experience as well.

I was under the impression that I had to see a doctor to get rid of a simple headache, which would be more expensive than visiting a candy bar machine. Nice to know!

I had my very first UTI (those nasty hot tubs) and went to the ship's doctor. The total was $165 for lab work, the visit and two medications. Our travel and medical insurance reimbursed me for everything.

That is actually pretty cheap.

My local urgent care is $135 plus prescriptions and lab work. That is if you do not have insurance.

I started a list but want to make sure that I thought of everything barring extraordinary circumstances. :eek:

• tylenol
  • ibuprofen
  • diuretic
  • gas
  • heartburn/antacid
  • nausea
  • diarrhea/softener
  • motion
  • pain
  • sinus
  • cold/flu
  • allergy
  • antibiotic
  • cramps

Did I miss anything? We are lucky to not have Rx that are needed daily.

I am going to use a multiple pill container and label each box with the item with my label maker.

Add

Orajel

Aloe vera

That is actually pretty cheap.

My local urgent care is $135 plus prescriptions and lab work. That is if you do not have insurance.

I was told once that on RC they use the US insurance industry/Medicare reimbursement "normal and customary " rates to base charges.

We take at least ten different over the counter medicines that are specific to our issues, so I won't list them. I think what you bring depends on where you are going. We tend to do longer cruises with maybe eight sea days in a row, so we pack more than many of you. If your cruise has plenty of stops in the Caribbean, Alaska, or in Mexico, you can easily buy what you need in port.

My husband has COPD and tends to get an infection on many of our cruises, so our doctor gives him emergency antibiotics. Antibiotics for the average person is not a good idea. I had my very first UTI (those nasty hot tubs) and went to the ship's doctor. The total was $165 for lab work, the visit and two medications. Our travel and medical insurance reimbursed me for everything.

There is a product available OTC in the states that treats the symptoms of UTI (mostly a pain reliever specifically to target urinary pain). This is something I've recently started packing - and was grateful for one cruise but would prefer not needing;) . If symptoms worsen or continue longer than 3 days I would advise visiting the ship's medical center, but often the body can flush illnesses out without the need for antibiotics (and the wrong one won't do much good, which is part of why they run labs).

Well our medicine bag just for the prescriptions looks like a small child’s suitcase for the week! We also bring our first aid kit from home which has a thermometer, neosporin, band aids, Tylenol, Pepto, DayQuil and NyQuil, and motion sickness meds.

There is a product available OTC in the states that treats the symptoms of UTI (mostly a pain reliever specifically to target urinary pain). This is something I've recently started packing - and was grateful for one cruise but would prefer not needing.;) If symptoms worsen or continue longer than 3 days I would advise visiting the ship's medical center, but often the body can flush illnesses out without the need for antibiotics (and the wrong one won't do much good, which is part of why they run labs).

I had never experienced a UTI so never thought about medicines for it as I packed meds for the cruise. I also agree with another poster who mentioned that my $165 medical charge on the ship was pretty inexpensive. I'm still a proponent of bringing some meds on a cruise. Even though we use all the precautions, my DH often picks up a URI since he has COPD. Some rather arrogant people might comment that taking precautionary medicines onboard is foolish and that they "never got sick onboard." I could have said that too until cruise #15. It happens to the best and the healthiest of us. Dining with or sitting next to contagious people at the theater sort of sets one up for getting their virus or germs.

I started a list but want to make sure that I thought of everything barring extraordinary circumstances. :eek:

• tylenol
  • ibuprofen
  • diuretic
  • gas
  • heartburn/antacid
  • nausea
  • diarrhea/softener
  • motion
  • pain
  • sinus
  • cold/flu
  • allergy
  • antibiotic
  • cramps

Did I miss anything? We are lucky to not have Rx that are needed daily.

I am going to use a multiple pill container and label each box with the item with my label maker.

1. Aspirin. 2. Claritin for my allergies. 3. Nothing else.

Same here. Besides, whenever we have required OTC or even scripts on extended trips there has never been an isuse getting them. Quite the contrary. We travel with carry on only. We don't pack the kitchen sink and we don't pack the medicine cabinet. No duct tape or room decorations either.

DH takes several prescription meds so he packs those. On all trips I take a small zippered case with the following: Ibuprophen, Immodium, antacid, neosporin, band-aids, AZO (UTI Medication), Zyrtec. That's about it - I don't take much medicine.