Another question about tipping

I just read recently that not all of the tips that are part of the pre-paid gratuities actually goes to crew members on some cruise lines. Some of the cruise lines take an administrative fee. It also said that on some lines a crew member is required to turn in any cash tips that they receive. My questions are: (1) Does anyone KNOW FOR SURE that Carnival does not take an administrative fee and (2) Does anyone KNOW FOR SURE that if I pay a crew member a cash tip that they do not have to turn it in.

Carnival's policy will determine whether or not I prepay any gratuities so I appreciate your feedback.

I just read recently that not all of the tips that are part of the pre-paid gratuities actually goes to crew members on some cruise lines. Some of the cruise lines take an administrative fee. It also said that on some lines a crew member is required to turn in any cash tips that they receive. My questions are: (1) Does anyone KNOW FOR SURE that Carnival does not take an administrative fee and (2) Does anyone KNOW FOR SURE that if I pay a crew member a cash tip that they do not have to turn it in.

Carnival's policy will determine whether or not I prepay any gratuities so I appreciate your feedback.

This has been asked and answered literally hundreds of times. If you choose not to believe all those responses, i am not sure whether you chose fo follow or not the cruise line recommendations. How would anybody other than a crew member know FOR SURE? Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are always free to remove the gratuities from your onboard account and tip as you go to those you feel deserve it. As to whether or not a cash tip directly to a crew member is theirs to keep (and not share), I've been told by crew members that it's up to them whether or not to share a direct cash tip. Is this true and fleet wide? I have no idea and neither does anyone else outside the employ of the cruise line.

Our recommended guideline to what is appropriate is $12.95 USD per person, per day for guests in standard stateroom accommodations and $13.95 USD per person, per day for guests booked in suites. The majority of the tipping amount goes to employees such as stateroom stewards, assistant stewards, dining room waiters and assistant waiters. A small portion goes to a mix of other personnel who are in guest-facing customer service positions within areas such as culinary and hotel services, along with certain key positions in entertainment and guest services.

Here is the breakdown, per day:

Housekeeping Team: $4.05 ($5.05 for suites)

Dining Team: $6.40

Alternative Services: $2.50

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1123/~/service-gratuities-%28tips%29#grats

The "tips" go to those who are supposed to get them...no worries. The tips cover your cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters, and head waiters. A small portion might go to the cabin attendant's ass't, if there is one.

Bartenders charge tips based on the cost of a drink or package....they get those tips.

You have nothing to worry about. Anyone who serves you, gets the appropriate tip.

The "tips" go to those who are supposed to get them...no worries. The tips cover your cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters, and head waiters. A small portion might go to the cabin attendant's ass't, if there is one.

Bartenders charge tips based on the cost of a drink or package....they get those tips.

You have nothing to worry about. Anyone who serves you, gets the appropriate tip.

What about the alternative tips which Carnival and John Heald both say go to " guest facing staff " e.g. front office clerks and food and beverage kitchen workers such as Guy's Burger crew who interact with guests?

What about the alternative tips which Carnival and John Heald both say go to " guest facing staff " e.g. front office clerks and food and beverage kitchen workers such as Guy's Burger crew who interact with guests?

They get $2.50 of your 12.95

Yes, thank you I saw that in the posted thread and am aware of that from reading Carnival's website and John Heald on social media. I was asking the member I quoted to weigh in on the matter.

CB @ sea only does drive bys. One post on a thread and never post again.

No sense wasting your time.

Unless that was a rhetorical question.

Bill

Threadstarter has been a member here 8 years.

During that 8 years, tipping, tipping breakdown, Carnival stealing the tips and every other imaginable subject about tipping have been discussed ad nauseum.

And yet, the same accusations are raised over & over & over & ...

I wonder how many others will read the threadstarter's initial post, then go to some other website and post "I just read recently that not all of the tips that are part of the pre-paid gratuities actually goes to crew members"

Why, oh why ??

Now that's just silly question of the day....

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

You haven’t been paying attention then. That’s been debated on here. Some say ALL tips are pooled. Others say employees can keep money handed to them. I’m looking for clarification on what you meant.