Hamburgers - Subjective, I Realize

logan25

Hubby is considering booking a Princess cruise. But he eats a lot of comfort food and the burgers on two Princess cruises 2-3 years ago were not at all to his liking. He did not think they tasted at all like beef. I would theorize he was served a veggie burger by mistake, but he claims it happened on more than more occasion on both cruises. Anyway, I am having a difficult time telling him the food will be to his liking.

Hamburgers, whether on pool deck or MDR, are they tasty, in your opinion? I am hoping they have changed for the better. Otherwise, he may never cruise with me on Princess again.

There is an expanded burger menu at the hot and dog and burger place on Lido, so he should be able to find something, including the additional charge Ernesto burger that is to his liking. It is made with freshly ground beef, and is not a preformed patty.

On our last cruise my wife and another diner both tried the hamburger in MDR and found it less than great. We both enjoyed the burgers on Lido deck. They were freshly cooked and the fries were very good as well. As we were on Caribbean Princess the grill also offered the Princess version of street tacos. They were okay but not exactly what I think of when I think of street tacos. They also limited an order to two tacos. I wish I could just wander up to Lido and snag a burger right now. I'm hungry!

Can the Ernesto be 'cooked to order' since it is an extra charge...$5 or $8 with a beer is what I believe I have seen.

now I realize that there are prolly restrictions about how Princess has to cook their meats / fish etc. due to not undercooking...

Hubby is considering booking a Princess cruise. But he eats a lot of comfort food and the burgers on two Princess cruises 2-3 years ago were not at all to his liking. He did not think they tasted at all like beef. I would theorize he was served a veggie burger by mistake, but he claims it happened on more than more occasion on both cruises. Anyway, I am having a difficult time telling him the food will be to his liking.

Hamburgers, whether on pool deck or MDR, are they tasty, in your opinion? I am hoping they have changed for the better. Otherwise, he may never cruise with me on Princess again.

I had a great hamburger in the MDR (from the kid's menu). The ones on deck I find to be hit or miss in quality.

You can certainly see them grilling the burgers on the lido deck. And veggie burgers look different than "regular" burgers. I don't know why he couldn't say "I don't want a veggie burger" in that case.

Can the Ernesto be 'cooked to order' since it is an extra charge...$5 or $8 with a beer is what I believe I have seen.

now I realize that there are prolly restrictions about how Princess has to cook their meats / fish etc. due to not undercooking...

Yes, and the burgers on the pool deck are generally cooked while you wait. The ship posts notices on the menus about the risk of consuming raw or undercooked foods, so that's how they get around the risks of serving food that is not cooked to the point of shoe leather consistency.

I know the Ernesto is cooked to order, not precooked and reheated. I don't know if they are willing to serve it less than medium-well, as a matter of food safety. Maybe someone else can answer that one. As much as I love my steak quite rare, I have my burgers pretty well done due to food safety issues.

BTW, if comfort food includes spaghetti and meatballs, they are actually always available in the main dining rooms, as they are on the kiddies menu, and what is served IMHO is delicious. It is the same spaghetti and meatballs that is one of the entrees on Italian night. There are other comfort foods on the dining room kiddies menu, and I am willing to endure the gentle smiles of the waitstaff when I order off of it on occasion. In fact, I tend to laugh with them.

My problem with the burgers up on the top deck and that they many times stack and rack them. They are cooked and then placed into a container and then they cook them again as needed. I always try to get a fresh cooked one and will let others go ahead of me so that they aren't a dry hockey puck.

I couldn't' get them to cook one less than medium well for the life of me! It's always been hit and miss up here for me as well.

There Ernesto burger that we had was good, not dried out at all.

I had a great hamburger in the MDR (from the kid's menu). The ones on deck I find to be hit or miss in quality.

You can certainly see them grilling the burgers on the lido deck. And veggie burgers look different than "regular" burgers. I don't know why he couldn't say "I don't want a veggie burger" in that case.

Maybe someone can/will post the full kids menu...I understand there is a great banana split - volcano - on it...hmmm spaghetti and meatballs and then a volcano sounds pretty good...

Maybe someone can/will post the full kids menu...I understand there is a great banana split - volcano - on it...hmmm spaghetti and meatballs and then a volcano sounds pretty good...

Yup, the always available Ceasar salad. spaghetti, and if you still have room, the Volcano (which is the order that makes the server LOL, but every single one has outdone themselves making it extra wonderful for a supposed adult.).

BTW, if comfort food includes spaghetti and meatballs, they are actually always available in the main dining rooms, as they are on the kiddies menu, and what is served IMHO is delicious. It is the same spaghetti and meatballs that is one of the entrees on Italian night. There are other comfort foods on the dining room kiddies menu, and I am willing to endure the gentle smiles of the waitstaff when I order off of it on occasion. In fact, I tend to laugh with them.

The spaghetti and meatballs on the kids menu is excellent and I sometimes order it as an appetizer.

Grandkids loved it.

38431430534_3265cf2a27_b.jpg

I found the hamburgers cooked on deck by the pool were always good.

The best part of the kids menu is the volcano desert

36436570016_6d50621a88_k.jpg

Howard

Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice. I've told him those events could have been pure flukes and to give Princess another shot.

If he will try the MDR at least, rather than just Lido, he will have so many options.

Is the volcano soft serve ice cream ( as I think it looks) or "real" ice cream?

What was pictured in that photo was not the classic Volcano. The volcano is made with "real" ice cream, usually vanilla, and features a banana sliced lengthwise to form a tower on the outside of the ice cream scoops, then it is adorned with with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and a cherry, but if they really like you, maybe 2 or 3 cherries. It is a big dessert, and a delight for a child's eye.

Neither of the burgers are an "In-N-Out" burger, but you can "doctor" it up to your liking. They will add anything he wants if they have it. Wants more lettuce, ask. Wants two slices of cheese, ask. Want a double double, again, just ask (though it won't be the same), and I don't think they can do animal stile, though I have seen onions grilled once in a while. Ketchup and mayo mixed with just a little pickle relish will make an OK Thousand island dressing if he is missing that part.

I have found the MDR's burger to be a bit dryer, and also I think the patty is heavier and or thicker. Tell the DH to get one fresh off the grill on the Lido deck and not one cooked and reheated. I taste a bit of difference that way. Then put on all the fixins' he wants.

Every time I had a beefburger on deck on Sapphire Princess in May they were freshly made and not cooked and reheated. There was a bit of a wait but worth it rather than having a cooked reheated supplied quicker.

Every time I had a beefburger on deck on Sapphire Princess in May they were freshly made and not cooked and reheated. There was a bit of a wait but worth it rather than having a cooked reheated supplied quicker.

You will see them cooked and off to the side when they slowed down. When they are busy, the cooking is the slowest part of the assembly and holds up the line. No reheats during that time.

What was pictured in that photo was not the classic Volcano. The volcano is made with "real" ice cream, usually vanilla, and features a banana sliced lengthwise to form a tower on the outside of the ice cream scoops, then it is adorned with with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and a cherry, but if they really like you, maybe 2 or 3 cherries. It is a big dessert, and a delight for a child's eye.
I think that actually is a photo of the volcano. You can see at least one of the scoops of ice cream on the left. What looks like soft serve is actually gobs of whipped cream and two long slices of banana. We tried it once and they included a scoop of each of the ice cream flavors of the day. It was enough for three of us!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

some ships now have the 'new' Ernesto burger - and it is a pay for ... while I've never had it, it's got to be better than the overcooked , dry burgers served on deck...
The extra charge Ernesto burger is available as part of the $12 Salty Dog Gastropub menu on the Crown, Emerald, and Ruby. There is also an extra charge Ernesto burger for $5 or $8 with a beer at the Salty Dog Grill which has replaced the Trident Grill on the Caribbean. To add to the confusion, Princess has been trying out new MDR menus on the Ruby that includes a different Ernesto burger each night and at no additional cost [emoji848]

I think that actually is a photo of the volcano. You can see at least one of the scoops of ice cream on the left. What looks like soft serve is actually gobs of whipped cream and two long slices of banana. We tried it once and they included a scoop of each of the ice cream flavors of the day. It was enough for three of us!

I agree that it has many of the components of a volcano, but I have never seen it with strawberries.