Hamburgers - Subjective, I Realize

logan25

When At Sea, are the cooking temp.regulations of the USA, or other jurisdiction, in force? I was under the impression that when At Sea, such things are suspended, using gambling as an example. So why so hard to get a rare hamburger?

Risk and time management would be my guess (1) Don't need potential food poisoning lawsuit from all the ambulance chasing lawyers. (2) If everyone wants the burger customized his way, can you imagine how long the line up will be at the pool side grill? Not very practical to implement.

The "deck" burgers are Sysco/US Foods products. Unfortunately, nearly all the lines cook the burgers to death! Health dept. demand an interior temp of 165. Not going to get a rare burger at that temp.

Hey! I've eaten at McDonalds.....if I can choke THEIR burgers down...... :D

But seriously...I've (petty much) been all over the world at one time or another and I ALWAYS swore that I would NEVER eat snails. However, this trip, I had to promise DW to "step outside" my comfort zone and give "escargot" a try....I hope they keep a bucket readily available in the MDR

When At Sea, are the cooking temp.regulations of the USA, or other jurisdiction, in force? I was under the impression that when At Sea, such things are suspended, using gambling as an example. So why so hard to get a rare hamburger?

There are simply universal best practices when it comes to food safety, and cooking any ground meat to an internal temp of at least 165F is a best practice, as is maintaining cold foods at 42F or below, and removing items from the buffet after certain lengths of time. When the ship comes into US ports, she is subject to inspections, and is expected to meet US standards concerning many things, including food safety practices. All food storage and food prep areas must meet those standards or immediately correct any deficiencies.

But seriously...I've (petty much) been all over the world at one time or another and I ALWAYS swore that I would NEVER eat snails. However, this trip, I had to promise DW to "step outside" my comfort zone and give "escargot" a try....I hope they keep a bucket readily available in the MDR

I found that if you like butter and garlic (and sometimes wine) sauce, you will love escargot! Most, if not all, the taste is in the sauce.

I found that if you like butter and garlic (and sometimes wine) sauce, you will love escargot! Most, if not all, the taste is in the sauce.

Not necessarily. I like butter/garlic sauces, but escargot.....it still tastes like an eraser. Rubbery and no flavor.

Before they arrive, butter up some hard rolls and use them for dipping in the juice/sauce the snails come in.

As for chewy, if they are cooked right and have not set, they can be tender.

As the other cc member stated, flavor is all in the sauce.

It is one of the reasons I do not care for many ship, or for that matter, many mass produced burgers. I did get a medium rare Ernesto burger on Caribbean Princess in January by ordering it rare. Other than that, you get it over cooked (to my taste) everywhere you go. I just tend to stay away from the burgers and select some of the other offerings. While I am not a picky eater, I do like my burgers rare. Don't even get me started on the fried chicken.

See how subjective food is? The guy Thrak from California doesn't like the pizza. I do. He thinks the burgers and tacos are OK and I don't. Yet somehow we both seem to manage a good time on our cruises.

"Custom" made burgers, you'll have more influence over preparation. Prepurchased burgers look the same from ship to ship & cruise line to cruise line.. As to Pizza, I didn't like what Alfredo's put out. Really bland in my opinion. Tacos are frequently made from left over burger meat..Take it from someone in the food industry! I love a good rare burger made from "select" or higher grade beef with a 80% leanness ratio. As to Fried Chix. well, you don't want that served rare!!

You like Lobster/shrimp, or Crab?? You're just eating a large "Bug"! Bugs is what we in the food industry call them. Perhaps those snails(or slugs, if you prefer)don't sound so bad Afterall. If it does gross you out, that's ok. Just means more for the rest of us!

You like Lobster/shrimp, or Crab?? You're just eating a large "Bug"! Bugs is what we in the food industry call them. Perhaps those snails(or slugs, if you prefer)don't sound so bad Afterall. If it does gross you out, that's ok. Just means more for the rest of us!

Amen!

They are "supposed" to follow standard US health regulations. The burgers I've mentioned are mass produced. A customized burger gives you more influence as the patty is thicker & can be cooked to order. Sounds strange, I know. Remember the Meatloaf Chef's special is made from all the trimmings from previous night. Sounds rather unappetizing? If the restaurant specializes in "Prime" grade steaks(like Grill 23 in Boston)The meatloaf can be much better than one would think.

The burger at the salty dog were not that good, but tell him to take the plan burger and head to the Buffet and dress it up with different items. If its early they still had bacon from breakfast, a sunny side egg, jalapenos from thesalad bar etc. Better breads for the burger there too.

That's what is so great about Princess, so many different choices for all of us. I loved the burger at salty dog!

You could probably add the same sauce to a cooked roach & get the same taste.:rolleyes:

Sorry, the taste IS different & yes, I've had both! I'm a bit more adventuresome when it comes to food.

There are simply universal best practices when it comes to food safety, and cooking any ground meat to an internal temp of at least 165F is a best practice, as is maintaining cold foods at 42F or below, and removing items from the buffet after certain lengths of time. When the ship comes into US ports, she is subject to inspections, and is expected to meet US standards concerning many things, including food safety practices. All food storage and food prep areas must meet those standards or immediately correct any deficiencies.

Thank You! Nice to see someone with a knowledge of food safety!

Doesn’t everybody know that escargot are just a butter and garlic delivery system [emoji846]

That has been our family's position for over 40 years. DW ans I order one each and sometimes a third. Yum!;p

The ice-cream on Princess in the MDR is excellent!!!!

I have not had that many burgers on Princess, but they seemed okay. I can't say I thought they are veggie burgers or hockey-pucks at all !!! However, I would have no problem requesting a fresh burger if I thought there was a problem.

logan25, have you two sailed HAL?

I have been looking into a nice itinerary on HAL, and have noticed comments about the good food at their poolside grill venue.

We were in Scotland a year ago (been there 5-6 times) and DW tells me - "You promised to try something new and I get to decide what you eat. I knew at that moment I was in trouble.... :D

Haggis. 'Nuff said. I tried it (And I come from the Scots) and SURPRISE!!! I actually liked it. Somehow, I could see my ancestors smiling down on me...

Now? This trip she has decided on Escargot.....Oh well....live and learn.

That has been our family's position for over 40 years. DW ans I order one each and sometimes a third. Yum!;p

Dipping that nice bread in the garlic butter is one of the high points of the meal!

We were in Scotland a year ago (been there 5-6 times) and DW tells me - "You promised to try something new and I get to decide what you eat. I knew at that moment I was in trouble.... :D

Haggis. 'Nuff said. I tried it (And I come from the Scots) and SURPRISE!!! I actually liked it. Somehow, I could see my ancestors smiling down on me...

Now? This trip she has decided on Escargot.....Oh well....live and learn.

I tried it years ago & like it myself. This is surprising as I personally can't stand Lamb!

The ice-cream on Princess in the MDR is excellent!!!!

I have not had that many burgers on Princess, but they seemed okay. I can't say I thought they are veggie burgers or hockey-pucks at all !!! However, I would have no problem requesting a fresh burger if I thought there was a problem.

logan25, have you two sailed HAL?

I have been looking into a nice itinerary on HAL, and have noticed comments about the good food at their poolside grill venue.

We did like the Norman Love desserts. The other desserts were standard Sysco/US Foods mass delivery. You're right about the ice cream, it was very good. If no dessert appealed, there was the good ol' stand by...Hot Fudge Sundae!