Two formal nights necessary?

Heh, as a male, I'll have to disagree with you there. If wearing a suit and tie is just as comfy as a pair of khakis and a t-shirt, your clothes are WAY too big. A properly fitted shirt and tie doesn't give you that kind of flexibility.

That being said, I still wear a suit on formal nights.

Maybe if you are young and in shape.

But my dress shirts are custom made for me, and provide plenty of flexibility. At least for things you do in a dress shirt. :D

The best reason for dressing formal is the sexiness of wife inserting husband’s cuff links and the husband zipping back of wife’s gown. :D:cool::)

Sorry, but the sexiness comes from UNZIPPING the gown.

:D

Yep. Walking around on "formal night" it looks like some folks are going to a wedding, some are going out for a nice dinner and some just left the drive-through at McDonalds.[/color]

Yep the cruise line has found a way to make you feel out of place no matter how you are dressed those nights. I wish they would follow Celebrity and just call it a different name or at least enforce it in the MDR. There hasn’t been a true formal night on any of these mass market lines since the 90’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just came back from a 7 night cruise and was wondering what others thought of having 2 formal nights on a week long cruise. I think 1 formal night is enough for a week. Do you think RCL keeps it in place because of tradition?

Id prefer if the MDR was shrunk in size, every night was formal night, it was enforced and the quality and service improved. There are already enough places to eat causally on-board.

And regardless of the "new" policy not allowing shorts in the MDR, there were plenty last week on Allure.

On Cunard in the 70's it was suit and tie every night.

Yeah but it's 2018 and the ships are floating amusement parks now. In a few more years there won't be MDR's and there will be so much variety you'd be lucky to get 25% participation.

Yeah but it's 2018 and the ships are floating amusement parks now. In a few more years there won't be MDR's and there will be so much variety you'd be lucky to get 25% participation.

I will not be on a ship that only has specialty restaurants or buffets.

Our cruise from Dubai a couple of years ago had near 100% take up of formal attire on both formal nights, even in the Windjammer! Designated casual nights on board still resulted in most gentlemen in suits.

Cruising is obviously very new to the Middle East and the local demographic totally embraced the formal night concept, a bit like we do here in the UK and to a lesser extent Europe.

We were on Oasis last Easter and virtually no take up of the first night and the second formal night you wouldn't have known it was happening.

Horses for courses, I can see formal nights in future being structured to the area where the ship is cruising.

Yep. Walking around on "formal night" it looks like some folks are going to a wedding.

My family and I bought our May wedding clothes so that we would have them in time to wear on our March cruise thereby getting at least two uses out of them. Hoping to wear the same formal at my brother's wedding, my son's wedding, and on a couple more cruises in the next two years, LOL.

I have been cruising for quite a while and can't honestly recall when Royal Caribbean ever had a formal night. The suggested dress of dark suit and tie does not reflect formal in any sense of the term.

For those who truly want a formal night, If it was up to me, and it isn't, there would be one formal night that would be a pay to attend affair. Perhaps $200 per couple. It would have a strictly defined and enforced dress code and be held in an appropriate venue with a pre dinner cocktail party with hors d' oeuvres. Drinks would be included in the price. There would be an upscale menu. Some of the senior ship's staff would minge and dine with the attendees.

I have been cruising for quite a while and can't honestly recall when Royal Caribbean ever had a formal night. The suggested dress of dark suit and tie does not reflect formal in any sense of the term.

For those who truly want a formal night, If it was up to me, and it isn't, there would be one formal night that would be a pay to attend affair. Perhaps $200 per couple. It would have a strictly defined and enforced dress code and be held in an appropriate venue with a pre dinner cocktail party with hors d' oeuvres. Drinks would be included in the price. There would be an upscale menu. Some of the senior ship's staff would minge and dine with the attendees.

If you put a cover charge on it their would be a line to prebook it. There would be threads titled “ When can I prebook formal night”? Once you put a price on something and limit the availability everyone wants to be a part of it. Look what people are willing to pay for a cabana and subpar food served in the specialty restaurants.

If you put a cover charge on it their would be a line to prebook it. There would be threads titled “ When can I prebook formal night”? Once you put a price on something and limit the availability everyone wants to be a part of it. Look what people are willing to pay for a cabana and subpar food served in the specialty restaurants.

Mike, you've hit the nail on the head. LOL, formal night will become so popular that tuxedo rentals will soar. RCCL will have to start selling corsages for the women and boutonnieres for the men. It will be an absolute bonanza.

Reminds me of the pay to attend lunch with an officer from a couple years ago

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reminds me of the pay to attend lunch with an officer from a couple years ago

I don't remember that promotion. One that I do remember is that Captain Liz would put a dinner with the Captain for either four or six people up for auction with the proceeds going to the Make a Wish program.

I don't remember that promotion. One that I do remember is that Captain Liz would put a dinner with the Captain for either four or six people up for auction with the proceeds going to the Make a Wish program.
I think it was on some Radiance ships in 2016. Around $35 including wine

.I would prefer zero formal nights . I spent 38 years at a job where I had to wear a suit every day .No more suits for me.

Agree...depends on where you are coming from. The DH traveled all around the world for his career, with his clothing required being hard hat, boots, and heavy jeans.

Needless to say, dressing up is a treat for him...and damn...he looks good!! :hearteyes::hearteyes:

Hmmmm...sounds like dinner with an officer or a formal Pinnacle event type of thing. Except for the 200.00. ;)