Dress code in Rome

Ladies do not need head covering in churches in Rome or Greece. Men need to remove their caps.

Ladies do need to cover your head in mosques.

I didn't say they did in Rome.

However, I can tell you firsthand that some small churches in Greece absolutely required it. They were outside the major cities and in small towns, but they 100% did ask her to wear one.

ETA:

We didn't go to any mosques in Greece, so it definitely was a church. Turkey and Egypt we did mosques, so yes there.

I will never do the Vatican again in warm weather, place was packed wall to wall people no air movement or fans and no shorts allowed

It was packed last November too, I won't be going back soon.

]the dress code in Rome must be respected,do not forget that you will find a hot climate, it is not convenient to obsess.]nice shirt and pants that are not too short is enough to not have problems in the Vatican. It is important that you cover your shoulders and knees, or at least approach them!It would be a shame to suffer all day for the little time you spend in a church ... and Rome, deserves to enjoy it without any ties.

I think it’s something you kind of do once.

Unless of course you visited the Sistine Chapel before the ceiling was "cleaned".

Way too many years ago, we visited the Vatican and saw the rather dark ceiling of the Sistine Chapel....it has been cleaned and is now bright and colorful we were told...so we have to come back.

Regarding the dress code: Yes, we were young and naive, my wife was stopped by the door before entering St. Peter's Basilica...her shoulders were exposed. All this way and she couldn't get in! Desperate, we had a bath towel inside our backpack. She took it out and placed it over her shoulders...she was allowed to walk in. And yes, all the pictures show she had a white bath towel around her shoulders. :D

When in Rome.......

They do turn people away. It is respectful to honor customs in a foreign country. Don't expect or assume that there are waivers because you are a tourist. These are active Churches and have the dress requirements of a Holy place. The Vatican was amazing and worth the respect of the dress code.

Unless of course you visited the Sistine Chapel before the ceiling was "cleaned".

Way too many years ago, we visited the Vatican and saw the rather dark ceiling of the Sistine Chapel....it has been cleaned and is now bright and colorful we were told...so we have to come back.

Regarding the dress code: Yes, we were young and naive, my wife was stopped by the door before entering St. Peter's Basilica...her shoulders were exposed. All this way and she couldn't get in! Desperate, we had a bath towel inside our backpack. She took it out and placed it over her shoulders...she was allowed to walk in. And yes, all the pictures show she had a white bath towel around her shoulders. :D

Do you know when the ceiling was cleaned? I was there in 2011 and remember it being kind of dark. If it is brighter now, I would go again.

Do you know when the ceiling was cleaned? I was there in 2011 and remember it being kind of dark. If it is brighter now, I would go again.

I believe the latest restoration was finished in 94.

I’m having a problem understanding some of these questions. Rules say long pants but it’s hot, can’t I wear shorts? Rules say knees must be covered but I have a skirt that is above my knees, can I wear it? So, yeah, travel all the way to Rome and take your chances on what might be a once in a lifetime trip and be refused admission to something you really wanted to see because you don’t think rules should apply to you? This is not the MDR. Rules do apply to you.

We were at St. Peter's and the Vatican Museum on June 1st. There were plenty of people wearing long shorts that were almost to the knee but did not cover the knee. We noticed this since both my husband and I wore long pants and were wishing we had worn our long shorts. There were certainly women wearing shawls to cover their bare shoulders.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Yes it's hot in the summer in Rome but if you want to have admittance to the beautiful, beautiful churches and chapels then you must adhere to the rules. Take a light-weight, thin shawl. It's easy to cart around (stuff it in your backpack) and you can drape it over your sleeveless top. That way you can stay cool before you arrive. You must cover your knees, so women can wear capris (which are not that much worse than shorts) but men must wear slacks. Again, take them in a backpack or use the zip-away short/pant. Head covering is not required for women but men must remove their ball caps. Sandals are ok. Believe me, it's worth it.

I remember reading a post a few years back where someone stated "we can't wear shorts? Seriously? What are they gonna do, tell us we can't go in?"

LOL. YES!

True enough and I can finally say "when in Rome do as the Romans do" and have it apply 100%:D.

I didn't say they did in Rome.

However, I can tell you firsthand that some small churches in Greece absolutely required it. They were outside the major cities and in small towns, but they 100% did ask her to wear one.

ETA:

We didn't go to any mosques in Greece, so it definitely was a church. Turkey and Egypt we did mosques, so yes there.

Most likely these were not roman-catholic churches, but orthodox / greek orthodox churches. The orthodox churches usually require women to cover their hair, roman-catholic do not.

Obviously Rome is perhaps stricter; don't know if you would be turned away for wearing shorts, but have found the same rules apply in many of Europe 's great cathedrals and religious sites. It's just a sign of respect and adhered to. In Portugal on an RC tour people were not allowed in the church because of wearing shorts.

Be respectful and dress appropriately.

This was true in Rome and on our Baltic cruise. You must have knees and shoulders covered or they will not admit you. Many men wore the pants where you can zip on/off the bottoms. Women wore skirts or a sundress with a shawl over the shoulders. It was unusually hot on our Baltic cruise so comfort was a necessity, but we also had to respect the dress code.