Your Favorite HAL Insider Tip

livetheatre

Sorry to learn on a very recent Zaandam cruise that these popular items have been eliminated. They often did substitute for a refreshing dessert. Be sure to let them know on your post-cruise evaluation that you would like to see them put back on the menu.

We got off Maasdam on May 12 and we definitely had a chilled soup on the menu pretty much every night.

We got off Maasdam on May 12 and we definitely had a chilled soup on the menu pretty much every night.

We were on the same voyage, and I was very pleased that the cold soup almost all nights included at least one of fruit, in some very tasty combinations.

If you like chocolate cake order the one from room service (I have never seen it on the regular menu). It's delicious!

Even as a somewhat experienced cruiser, I appreciate this tip. I always see the cake on the Room Service Menu, but have never ordered it. (And, I like chocolate cake.) Next HAL cruise, I will order that along with my Club Sandwich.

the room service menu has hot breakfast items on it not just continental offerings which is cool, also dinner from the main dining room can be ordered, but check the times you have to order its limited I am told

Real ice cream every day, not those soft serve machines. Bread pudding at lunch in Lido. YUMMY. We also prefer Pinnacle Grill for lunch and way cheaper than dinner. Just haven't been impressed with dinners there. We almost always order Gala nite into our room. Always served hot and you can call around 4:30 or 5 generally and have delivered whenever you want. No trays in hallway. Yay. You call and they come pick up your tray after finishing. And actually what really sets HAL apart for us is the BB King Blues Club. Some ships have better bands than others, but this is our kind of music so we enjoy tremendously. As mentioned previously happy hour is a favorite also. Oh and did anyone mention, you can stay in your cabin disembarkation day until ready to leave. Many other things that set HAL apart in our opinion. Have fun.

Jane

Wang wangs.

The recipe forthwith, courtesy of Copper 10-8:

All the ship bartenders are familiar with what a Wang Wang is, and can make you one

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Top it off with Pineapple and Orange Juice

Add a splash ofGrenadine

The recipe forthwith, courtesy of Copper 10-8:

All the ship bartenders are familiar with what a Wang Wang is, and can make you one

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Top it off with Pineapple and Orange Juice

Add a splash ofGrenadine

I believe you could rename this TROUBLE! That’s what I would be in after a couple!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

CCL shares. You mist purchase a minumim of 100 shares. You will get a on board credit for each cruise amount depends on number of days the cruise is. You also get dividends on the stock. It has been very good to us. Before your cruise, you jury need to fax or email a copy of your current shares.

I second the laundry package if you are not a Four Star Mariner. Soon after boarding the ship, go to the Front Desk and sign up for unlimited laundry. For most cruises, it costs $7 a day (Europe is $9 per day) and covers everyone in your cabin. You can turn you dirty laundry in every day until 2 days before reaching the final destination. Your clean laundry will be returned by the next day. What a nice service and it cuts way back on the number of clothes you have to pack.

I second the laundry package if you are not a Four Star Mariner. Soon after boarding the ship, go to the Front Desk and sign up for unlimited laundry. For most cruises, it costs $7 a day (Europe is $9 per day) and covers everyone in your cabin. You can turn you dirty laundry in every day until 2 days before reaching the final destination. Your clean laundry will be returned by the next day. What a nice service and it cuts way back on the number of clothes you have to pack.

You don't even have to go to the Front Desk. You just check off that option on the laundry form in your room. :)

I have two to share:

First, the fact that you can order from the main dining room menu for room service dinner. Sometimes this really comes in handy!

This is our favourite insider tip. We use it all the time.

If you're on one of the ships with the pizza restaurant at the back of the Lido deck, one of our favorite things to do was to order pizza, get a drink from the adjoining bar, and then take it all back to our room to watch a movie and/or watch the ocean go by. I don't think we ate in the MDR for dinner the entire time, because we'd be tired after our excursions and just want to lay in bed and eat pizza. When I say it that way it sounds incredibly lazy, but it was a real treat for us.

Lots of useful tips here - but i’m glad the real insiders didn’t spill any of the really good ones. I know sharing is supposed to be a good thing; but if everyone knows about them they will be ruined. So remember our confidentiality agreement all you HAL 43J’s.

I can respect that. My hope is that we love this cruise and it’s the first of many adventures on HAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can get free snacks from Explorations Cafe even if you don't order a drink there. I like them because they tend to be smaller than the big portions in Lido (they always have tiny chocolate muffins). Try the macarons!

Also someone else mentioned that you can order from the full MDR menu to room service. This is still indeed true but be aware it only applies during the first hour of dinner service. BTW HAL still doesn't have a supplemental charge for room service.

If your cabin is at the front of the ship, you are along way from any coffee (the closest would be in Lido or Explorations). But you can order coffee 24/7 without leaving out the hang tag for breakfast. Pack an insulated coffee mug if you like more than a single serving or to hang out on deck with a hot drink. Of course you can also buy them onboard.

When you are in Glacier Bay, go out on the bow when they announce it's open...even if you have a balcony.

Don't miss the pea soup and the Chocolate Surprise.

BB King is great.

• Like 1