Me, #theboy, and the unwanted guest on Allure

A couple of people referenced "The Wife". My employer for the past 20+ years has consistently referred to her as "not bad for a first wife." They have been married for nearly 50 years. I could never understand why he found it so amusing and why she didn't object. I finally figured out it wasn't my life and not my business to be offended. I find #theboy to be quite an endearing reference.

OP - thanks so much for the ride. I haven't been on CC for a couple weeks so I was able to read your entire TR in one sitting and enjoyed it immensely. I found your style of writing to be very enjoyable. I can understand your trip with your youngest while your husband and older son are on a scout trip. My husband was Scoutmaster for 5 years and he and my son had been going on BSA High Adventure Trips and Summer Camps for years. My daughter and I finally decided we deserved a summer vacation also and started annual summer trips to Disney World. We enjoyed our mother/daughter bonding time.

Thanks again and I hope life has settled down since you returned home.

Great review!! As for the sidebars, sometimes I start talking about something and go off on a tangent. It may be days before I remember what I was trying to say in the first place, so the pace of this review just seemed normal to me LOL

Toilet paper under even though I have a cat--she isn't going to stoop to playing with toilet paper.

I may have backhanded a kid with a fever when mine were younger, but probably felt bad afterwards.

I can understand your trip with your youngest while your husband and older son are on a scout trip. My husband was Scoutmaster for 5 years and he and my son had been going on BSA High Adventure Trips and Summer Camps for years.

Then you will also understand this: They went to Northern Tier. We all joked for months before the trip that "our boat" will be a little bigger and a little better than "their boat".

The whole family is back together again, we celebrated my oldest son's birthday yesterday, and Nicholas and I have vowed to never again cruise without them! Next April: all 4 of us on the Carnival Magic. Stay tuned for THAT trip report. :cool:

OP, Great review. As for the medical charges it was explained to us that if it happens on the ship or one of thier sponsored tours RCCL will take care of everything they do at no charge. But if it happens off the ship and not on one of their tours like it did my wife there is a cost. Even thought wasn't as cost has we were expecting. We were in Roatan, first port day of a 3 port cruise and only 3 day into a 7 day cruise. We were at a beach and she was looking at the pretty beach and missed 3 steps and hurt her ankle. After we finished the tour and went back to the ship she went to see the doctor once they reopened. They took X-rays and sure enough she broke her foot. They wrapped it, gave her pain meds (and they were good ones), crutches and a wheel chair. We continued to enjoy the rest of the cruise as best we could and I will say RCCL gave us first class service in getting around, waiters in dinning room and Schooner bar and getting on and off the ship at ports. She only remembers parts of the trip, like I said they were some good pain meds. :eek:LOL

The Ump

John

he told me in no uncertain terms that while in most ports, including Roatan, it is fine to plan tours directly and not through the cruise line, do NOT do that in Belize. He made me promise him that I would ONLY book through the cruise line next year. Has anyone reading this had any experiences in Belize to share?
back in 2009 we booked a cave tubing tour with Coral Breeze Tours in Belize, and it was wonderful. Cheaper than booking through RCCL, and much more intimate as the group was only about 12 people, as opposed to RCCL's group of 60. After the tour, the guide took us to a local eatery, where my DH and our friend enjoyed a local meal, which they liked very much. The guide (Ivan) was great, and we would totally book though them again if we ever go back to Belize.

That, and he probably figured out we kept taking it off because #theboy had recurring nose bleeds. Which, sadly, is very normal for him. Much to the dismay of the waiters at Johnny Rockets. They kept insisting he go to medical.

May I suggest always carrying a bottle of Afrin with you (well, for #theboy)? My DH has had prolific multi-hour nosebleeds that required ER visits, and his ENT finally taught him a trick of spraying Afrin into the nostrils to cut off the blood supply and clot it. It takes several sprays, but it does now stop within an hour.

If #theboy doesn't have waterfall like nosebleeds, then his should stop even quicker and you will not need as much toilet paper.

my son has been" the boy" for most of his life.

My son is "the offspring". My dear husband is usually referred to as "my sweet husband" or "that stinker", since he has an unpronounceable name. My sweet husband sometimes refers to me as "the Mrs" which makes me laugh every time.

are you serious right now? You really must be new to cruise critic and the reviews because it sometimes will take months to complete one with lots of comments and questions. The op is not being paid to do this and does have a family to take care of and a job to work. You could have kept your rude comments to yourself and moved along if it was not to your liking.

Thank you op for taking the time to do this wonderful review.

Sent from my sm-g935v using forums mobile app

amen

back in 2009 we booked a cave tubing tour with Coral Breeze Tours in Belize, and it was wonderful. Cheaper than booking through RCCL, and much more intimate as the group was only about 12 people, as opposed to RCCL's group of 60. After the tour, the guide took us to a local eatery, where my DH and our friend enjoyed a local meal, which they liked very much. The guide (Ivan) was great, and we would totally book though them again if we ever go back to Belize.

Ditto on the recommendation for Coral Breeze. It was the best excursion we never had! The day we were in Belize, the weather was sloppy. I am surprised we didn't miss the port! We watched 50 people from a ship tour get on an open boat and GET COVERED BY A TARP!!!!!! We were pretty sure we didn't want to go to Shark-Ray Alley that day. When we got to the meeting spot, the rep from Coral Breeze apologized for the weather and told us they were canceling the trip. We had our refund check in the mail by the time we got home. We wound up spending a fun day seeing how many Belikins (Belize beers) we could down!

I don't know that I would get off the ship and pick a tour in Belize, but there are several great companies to arrange a tour with in advance.

Thanks for the great review. I am going on my first Royal cruise in Sept (on a much smaller ship) and am reading everything to get the general feel of how things work on Royal. Forgive me if I don't do things the same as you, as I'd like to not have a CBW cruise! LOL!

Note to self: Look up Hucifer's reviews......

Hugs to #theboy and #theboysbrother. Thank them for arranging their vacations in such a way you could entertain the rest of us!

I am sure it is something they say in their family, and I think it is quirky and fun! I may steal that for future use with kids and grands.

I'd like to know why you keep using the term Nope Sandwich?

No or nope works just as well. Just wondering

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
The unwanted guest will show up soon. And sadly you'll have to learn a little bit more about my personal medical info before we get there. It is HIPAA, by the way. Not HIPPA. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. But I trust you all with this information. I know you'll keep it in the strictest of confidence. That's what we as a Cruise Critic family do, right?

You are correct and, dang, I really like you from your posts!

Do you have a cat? Cat owners mostly prefer under for obvious reasons (obvious to us anyway :')). Although, I'm still an "over person".

I truly don't care if it is over or under as long as it is. on. the. dispenser.

Day 5 – Roatan

Interesting side note. While standing at the gate waiting for Johan to return I was chatting with a few of the tour operators who were standing there trying to get Allure's passengers to buy from them. One gentleman asked which ports this cruise had been on so far and commented that he was glad we hadn't gone to Belize. I asked him why, and the gist of his answer is that the tour operators there are very unethical and pushy. When I told him I would be going to Belize on my next cruise, he told me in no uncertain terms that while in most ports, including Roatan, it is fine to plan tours directly and not through the cruise line, do NOT do that in Belize. He made me promise him that I would ONLY book through the cruise line next year. Has anyone reading this had any experiences in Belize to share?

I strongly disagree. have ben to Belize twice, booked private tours both times. Last time was a 3 stop snorkleing tour that included snorkeling with nurse sharks and it was TERRIFIC. Small group, excellent guide who made sure we weren't swindled at lunch with the exchange rate, took special pics for us and kpet us very safe. Much better than any ship

s tour

I strongly disagree. have ben to Belize twice, booked private tours both times. Last time was a 3 stop snorkleing tour that included snorkeling with nurse sharks and it was TERRIFIC. Small group, excellent guide who made sure we weren't swindled at lunch with the exchange rate, took special pics for us and kpet us very safe. Much better than any ships tour

Good to hear. Would love to know the name of the tour operator you recommend if you get a chance to share it. Thanks!

Why are you calling your son #theboy? It makes him sound like the rotten step child you make sleep under the stairs. Or maybe I’ve just watched too much Harry Potter.

Your review is entertainingly written and I like it, but I’m on page 12 and finding myself offended for your son at this point, lol. Reminds me of a lady on my roll call who called her son’s wife “his woman,” which always sounded so offensive. Anyway, carry on....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums