Please take new or "newish" bills to pay for things in cash on the islands

#1TravelMom

This is probably something most people wouldn't even think about. In fact, it is counter intuitive in my opinion. If a $20 bill is perfectly crisp and flat, it almost feels counterfeit to me. I would think a bill with some wrinkles and "age" would be real as it would be hard to print a bunch of counterfeit bills and distress them to appear aged and therefore real.

However, on our last cruise, one of our friends on an island(he's a tour guide) told us what happens. He often receives bills that are wrinkled and torn(even a tiny bit). He thanks customers and takes the money. However, he cannot exchange it at the bank. He maybe able to use it with locals, but for much less than the value it should have. The banks on many islands will not accept money that is not in very good condition. Please take a few minutes and get new bills or bills in excellent condition to pay guides.

My daughter and I traveled to Europe to the Christmas markets last December and our tour company told us the same thing, for the same reason. I had never heard this before.

This is probably something most people wouldn't even think about. In fact, it is counter intuitive in my opinion. If a $20 bill is perfectly crisp and flat, it almost feels counterfeit to me. I would think a bill with some wrinkles and "age" would be real as it would be hard to print a bunch of counterfeit bills and distress them to appear aged and therefore real.

However, on our last cruise, one of our friends on an island(he's a tour guide) told us what happens. He often receives bills that are wrinkled and torn(even a tiny bit). He thanks customers and takes the money. However, he cannot exchange it at the bank. He maybe able to use it with locals, but for much less than the value it should have. The banks on many islands will not accept money that is not in very good condition. Please take a few minutes and get new bills or bills in excellent condition to pay guides.

Actually, it's pretty common knowledge among regular international travelers.

Another thing to consider is to do your research and make sure that, in your hands (from your bank or exchange), the currency of countries that may have experienced recent significant governmental change is the currency now in use.

Another thing to consider is to do your research and make sure that, in your hands (from your bank or exchange), the currency of countries that may have experienced recent significant governmental change is the currency now in use.

We learned that in England with old pounds. As of March, they are no longer accepted.

This is true in China and most other Asian countries. China banks want "fresh off the press" condition bills. MIL went to deposit our $$$ and we had a couple old Ben Franklin bills in the stack and the teller rejected those immediately.