Confirmed! Prinsendam has been sold! (4 threads merged)

cRocky42

Cont’d : I heard from passengers on the Rotterdam that they refuse to sail out of Amsterdam .

I did , on the beautiful Prinsendam ...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder if the Rotterdam is going out of Amsterdam proper or she will go to Ijmuiden.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Forums mobile app

In our case we will cancel the cruise as the new itinerary drops Hamburg, the Kiel cancel and Mariehamn. Now its just another plain old Baltic cruise.
I would too if I were booked on a Kiel Canal sailing. We have bookings for Fall 2019. Waiting to see what changes will be made to those.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Forums mobile app

Oceania, Crystal and Regent have US port round trip Amazon cruises for next year. How do they compare in price to the Prinsendam or the Veendam? Viking has RT from Puerto Rico. All at fairly similar entry price points. P&O has a very interesting 55 day RT from London that falls into that same entry price point. There is competition out there.

We just happen to have two cruises planned for next year 2019 and both are impacted. We were sailing on the Rotterdam in July 2019 trans Atlantic to Boston via Iceland and Greenland and that will now be done by the Zuiderdam. Our other cruise was the European River Explorer on the Prinsendam which now is being done by the Rotterdam. Luckily they both look like the same dates and only slight changes in itinerary. Now to see what they do regarding room assignments.....maybe I will just call. We are lucky to have sailed on the Prinsendam twice in the last few years and were looking forward to what we assumed would be the last time next year....oh well. We have not sailed on the Rotterdam or Zuiderdam either (pretty much the only two of HAL ships we haven't) so we will get to try out two more ships :)

I just checked and the Prinsendam's last voyage 6/17--7/1/2019, 14 days Amsterdam, North Cape and back still has openings online for most all categories. Fortunately our booking, May 20-June 17, 2019 squeaked under the cut off date. I would think the farewell cruise will start selling faster now.

Anyone know what the new German owners will do to her? Or where she intends to sail? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Reisen

I see Phoenix Reisen unloaded their very awkward and clunky Alexander von Humboldt on Voyages of Discovery before VOD went bankrupt trying to make that ship work for their always excellent offerings in the past. We sailed her once. Looks like the Prinsendam will bring a little more class to this odd German cruise line, than their recent history of cruise ship offerings. Never a good idea to call a ship the Albatros, right ? Or claim their original flag ship was a former Soviet cruise ship?

When we were on the Prinsendam in 2013, the captain said they expected to get at least five more years out of her. That seemed soooooooooo far away at the time. Yet, here it is. The day has come. (And so has my next "big" birthday which was the reason for the Prinsendam cruise celebration. Now it will be on another HAL ship moving out of the inventory too - the Maasdam. Aging is not for sissies. For people or ships. )

Has there been an announcement about Maasdam I missed?

Has there been an announcement about Maasdam I missed?

Just a math problem. Maasdam is now the oldest in the fleet (1993) and CEO Ashford claims they expect about 30 years of useful life for a ship. So that would make her next, along with the Veendam, to be simply aging out of the HAL inventory - 2023? Which is also a date that right now sounds sooooooooooo far away. And yikes, another "big birthday" for me too. Also aging out of the inventory.

Sadly we never got to sail on her.

We were scheduled to sail on her in 2007 but our cruise was cancelled as she had to go into an emergency dry dock. HAL automatically moved our cruise to the 2008 one. But our yellow fever shots were going to expire in Jan 2008 and back then they would not except a letter from the doctor that DH could no longer get the shot. Since it was an Amazon cruise we had to cancel the cruise.